• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone know anything about solar panels?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Reason I ask is because I'm currently shopping around for some solar panels that I can attach to my bike trailer.

The goal is to be able to spend the entire day outside, on my phone / tablet without ever having to look for a power outlet.

I just bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/BigBlue-Fold...&keywords=bigblue+solar&qid=1592077375&sr=8-3

(supposed to be the best one for its kind on the market) but then, window shopping today I saw these:

5V 10W 2000mAh USB Solar Panel Phone Mobile Power Charger Outdoor Charging Board 892587149384 | eBay

. . .and others like it, all 10 watt.

I'm thinking about returning the 28 watt kit and just getting a bunch of the 10 w individual panels. Seems like it would be more versatile that way, cheaper too, but I'm trying to educate myself a little bit about these things before I make a final decision.

I know that not all solar panels are the same. I am not exactly sure what to look for as far as quality, output , excetera

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Reason I ask is because I'm currently shopping around for some solar panels that I can attach to my bike trailer.

The goal is to be able to spend the entire day outside, on my phone / tablet without ever having to look for a power outlet.

I just bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/BigBlue-Fold...&keywords=bigblue+solar&qid=1592077375&sr=8-3

(supposed to be the best one for its kind on the market) but then, window shopping today I saw these:

5V 10W 2000mAh USB Solar Panel Phone Mobile Power Charger Outdoor Charging Board 892587149384 | eBay

. . .and others like it, all 10 watt.

I'm thinking about returning the 28 watt kit and just getting a bunch of the 10 w individual panels. Seems like it would be more versatile that way, cheaper too, but I'm trying to educate myself a little bit about these things before I make a final decision.

I know that not all solar panels are the same. I am not exactly sure what to look for as far as quality, output , excetera

You would probably only need one of the cheap ones. A phone/tablet charges adequately using 2000ma or less.

I have a couple of inductive chargers, one charges at 1000ma and one at 1500ma

At that price it doesn't matter if it only lasts a few months, a man justof your affluent means could just buy another

Or maybe a hub dynamo, it works at night too ;-)

Gambrinus

accumulative error
I would get the 28 watt because it has a regulator to prevent you from over charging the battery, which might not be needed for one 10 watt panel but if you start adding panels it is essential.

It also has a feature to keep it from overheating your battery.