• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone else raised Pagan?

paganprince

cerridwen devotee
This isn't a disqualification to those who discovered pagan religions later in their life, but I've unfortunately only met one or two other people who had been raised in a pagan household since birth, and I'm interested in getting to know others and their experiences!

My family is almost entirely Celtic Recon, with a lot of neoDruid influence, though some of my cousins practice Wicca or other New-Age/Neo religions. We celebrate the 4 major fire festivals together, and the other 4 are usually just within our households since we live a bit far apart. Most of us have household altars and personal altars, and I've never really deviated from our beliefs - nor were they forced onto me, I was always given the option to be who I wanted.

What about others? What path does your family follow? What were rituals and holidays like growing up for you?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm a bit too old to have had the opportunity to be a second-generation Pagan.

That said, considering I was raised in a multi-religious household that was an early adopter of environmental stewardship, the roots were there. When you grow up honoring holy days from two religious traditions, the pluralistic attitude inherent in contemporary Paganism takes in you. You don't see religion as a force for division, but the diversity of traditions as something to celebrate. Besides, what was important to us wasn't what most would consider the religious tonality of those holy days, but hearth, home, family, and food. Additionally, honoring our legacies - cultural ancestry and the like - can be an important facet of contemporary Pagan practices and I still have something to draw from on this even if my immediate cultural background is not polytheist. :D

This isn't a disqualification to those who discovered pagan religions later in their life, but I've unfortunately only met one or two other people who had been raised in a pagan household since birth, and I'm interested in getting to know others and their experiences!

My family is almost entirely Celtic Recon, with a lot of neoDruid influence, though some of my cousins practice Wicca or other New-Age/Neo religions. We celebrate the 4 major fire festivals together, and the other 4 are usually just within our households since we live a bit far apart. Most of us have household altars and personal altars, and I've never really deviated from our beliefs - nor were they forced onto me, I was always given the option to be who I wanted.

Although I don't quite dig the whole mood of the Celtic Recon paths, I envy you quite a bit, haha. I can only imagine how much more healthy would my spiritual and mental life have been if I had not been raised under the influence of some fanatical Abrahamic cult !!!

**** was so metal in my early life that I quite clearly remember that the reason I first started attending church was under the fear of going to Hell (what a insulting reappropriation of the fair version of afterlife of the Old Norses) !!!