• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Wicked Fans?

Bishka

Veteran Member
I've just recently gotten into it. While in Chicago I was able to meet Dee Roscioli (she plays Elphaba in the Chicago cast) and I heard the music quite a bit. Who else loves it? Oh, and I'm currently reading the book!

wicked0606.jpg

Nanda

Polyanna
I read the book about six years ago, and it really left an impression. Gregory Maguire is one of the few popular ficiton writers out there that writes above a fifth grade reading level. I've listened to a song or two from Wicked, and everyone I know loves it, but I can't seem to reconcile what I've heard with the smart, sharp book I love.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I LOVE Wicked! :D I could (and have) listen to nothing but the soundtrack for weeks at a time. It's still a mystery to me how such an amazing play could be created from such a crappy book, though. :D The pacing was just terrible in the book IMO.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Heh heh heh...........I'm a big fan, too! :)

The show is returning to St. Louis at the Fox Theatre, and Mystic is going to see it whether anyone else likes it or not!

The family has had to put up with me listening to it in the car for this long, they can handle a Wicked fest the week that I'm seeing it.

Excellent, EXCELLENT show. :flower2:

Peace,
Mystic

Bishka

Veteran Member
I LOVE Wicked! :D I could (and have) listen to nothing but the soundtrack for weeks at a time. It's still a mystery to me how such an amazing play could be created from such a crappy book, though. :D The pacing was just terrible in the book IMO.

The book is a little hard on the brain. :yes:

Draka

Wonder Woman
I've read the book and its sequel, "Son of a Witch" and love them both. I have never seen the show though and would be interested to do so.

Nanda

Polyanna
I've read the book and its sequel, "Son of a Witch" and love them both. I have never seen the show though and would be interested to do so.

From what I gather, the play is seriously camped up and dumbed down (that's not meant to be a reflection on anyone who likes the play, it's just something that musical theatre tends to do.)

Bishka

Veteran Member
From what I gather, the play is seriously camped up and dumbed down (that's not meant to be a reflection on anyone who likes the play, it's just something that musical theatre tends to do.)

From what I heard they made the play family-friendly. :)

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
The play changes a lot. It completely fails to mention some characters (like Fiyero's wife) and changes the importance of others. Doesn't really bother me a whole lot since I thought the book was utter crap, though.

Nanda

Polyanna
From what I heard they made the play family-friendly. :)

Heh. I had a similar discussion with my friend over the new Hairspray movie. She complained aout how it had lost all the grit of the original; it was too happy and glossy. I had to explain to her that it wasn't based on the original movie, it was based on the Broadway adaptation of the original movie; in other words, "It's musical theatre, babe, what did you expect?"

Draka

Wonder Woman
The play changes a lot. It completely fails to mention some characters (like Fiyero's wife) and changes the importance of others. Doesn't really bother me a whole lot since I thought the book was utter crap, though.

How can it leave her out??? She was the whole reason that Elphaba even went to Kiamo Ko. Fiyero had been married to her since childhood.

It bothers me because I really liked the book. I found it an intriguing read. Very detailed and very much political in its workings. Perhaps I wouldn't like the Broadway show then. Perhaps, like movies, it becomes too much of a butchering of the original work.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Heh. I had a similar discussion with my friend over the new Hairspray movie. She complained aout how it had lost all the grit of the original; it was too happy and glossy. I had to explain to her that it wasn't based on the original movie, it was based on the Broadway adaptation of the original movie; in other words, "It's musical theatre, babe, what did you expect?"

Sacrilege! :D

Have you tried Sweeney Todd?

Peace,
Mystic

wayward_teen

Beautiful Disaster
I'm in love with Wicked (the musical). Never read the book.

Has anybody seen Teal Wicks? She's my favorite.