• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Methodists in the house?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Got a question for anyone here who is a Methodist.
How much emphasis is placed on Jesus and what role does he play in your faith and in your church?

this may seem like a silly question but i was having a theological debate w/ a friend who is a Methodist and she claimed that she was not taught about Jesus as a child in her church.

any help would be appreciated.
thanks

uumckk16

jewscout said:
How much emphasis is placed on Jesus and what role does he play in your faith and in your church?

I am curious about this as well. Can any Methodists share their opinions/experiences? :)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Onmybelief is a Methodist, but she hasn't posted for about three weeks. You might want to go into her profile and read some of her posts. As I recall, she frequently mentions Jesus Christ in her posts, but I'm not absolutely positive.

Booko

Deviled Hen
jewscout said:

this may seem like a silly question but i was having a theological debate w/ a friend who is a Methodist and she claimed that she was not taught about Jesus as a child in her church.

Well, I'm not a Methodist and I don't play one on tv, but my kids spent a summer weeks at the local Methodist VBS (vacation Bible school) and they certainly were taught about Jesus. :areyoucra

otoh, I was once engaged to an alleged Episcopalian. We went to see Jesus Christ Superstar and I had to explain the very basic plot elements of the Crucifixion to him, because he had no idea what was going on. Turns out his connection with the Episcopalian church was to have his parents drop him off for Sunday school for a little free babysitting.

You can be taught things in a church, but if there's no echo of it at home, it doesn't stick.

Dunno if any of this applies to your friend, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

BrandonE

King of Parentheses
As a former Methodist raised in the church (my parents are still members), what I was taught as a child was basically equivalent with all the mainline Christian churches. Of course, this is in southern Georgia, so, it will vary up north. We proclaimed the Apostle's Creed every Sunday, and that probably covers it adequately. The only primary difference between the Southern Baptists here and the UMC churches is the belief that salvation can be "lost" as opposed to the Calvinisht "once saved, always saved" doctrine. Other more liberal Wesleyan tenants weren't stressed (wikipedia).

Does that answer your question?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Well, I'm not a Methodist and I don't play one on tv,
I played a minister on TV once. (I'm pretty proud of this). The Sci Fi Channel shot a movie in our area, and used our old church building for one scene. I got to be in that scene. The movie is called "Larva." If you've ever seen it, you've seen me!

I'm not Methodist, but the church where I grew up was across the street form the Methodist Church. They had a big stained-glass window of Jesus in the Garden. Some of my best friends are Methodist. They all hold beliefs in Jesus similar to other mainline Protestants.

Snow_Owl

I'm a Methodist and Jesus is central to the faith. But note like other denominations Methodism has a lot of autonomy granted to individual congregations so some groups might do things differently but if your not teaching Jesus and claiming to be a Christian church you have a problem.

ukMethodist

Here we go:

[I wanted to post a wikipedia link, but I haven't been here enough, just type in methodism in wiki search]

That's a good start for anyone. I personally am in the UK, hence my alias ;)

We are basically Wesleyan in contrast with more Whitefield influenced churches in the US. (Armanian UK, Calvinistic US)

Any quesitions, just ask,

ukM.

Smoke

Done here.
I was brought up Methodist, and we were certainly taught about Jesus.

However, my father was brought up in the Evangelical & Reformed Church and had spent over a decade in the Methodist Church when he was startled and offended to learn that Catholics believe Jesus to be God. Which just goes to show, I guess, how easy it is to recite the Apostles' Creed for going on four decades without really paying attention. :)

scotch

I was brought up a Methodist and yes, Jesus, his life, his teachings, his death and resurrection are highly emphasized.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
We are basically Wesleyan in contrast with more Whitefield influenced churches in the US. (Armanian UK, Calvinistic US)

Interesting... will be looking more into this. Because when I read about John Wesley and his approach I understand it better that if I go read a page about the United Methodist Church..... perhaps the United Brethren merger helped shape the USA's rendering of Methodism.

Thanks.... will be reading more unless you care to explain more yourself.
This is an old post... not sure if you're around still?

I think I knew more about Jesus than God, you could say, based on the teachings in my Church..... now... this actually some what bothered me as a got older, as I thought the emphasis was on God first....

The Trinity always confused me growing up...
Heck.... so did a lot of stuff!

Many Sages One Truth

I am nominally Methodist you could say. I'm a member of a Methodist Church that is a fairly liberal congregation, and yes they teach about Jesus. In fact, Jesus is almost exclusively the sole focus of Methodist liturgy.

Philda Tressie

God Supremist
Jesus is central to Methodist doctrine. Your friend probably:
>suffers from amnesia;
>slept through church service; >was having you on;
>has never attended a Methodist service;
>is not a Methodist;
>is confused

Jesuslightoftheworld

The world has nothing to offer us!

any help would be appreciated.
thanks

What? Really? I was baptized and confirmed in the Methodist Church and that just seems strange to me. It’s all about Jesus.