• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Christian Wiccans here?

spiritually inclined

The concept of a Christian Wiccan may seem contradictory, but in a pluralistic society, blending religions is becoming more prevalent, resulting in paths like Christian Wicca. It is no new thing for religions to borrow and steal from others.

If there are any Christian Wiccans here, I am interested in knowing about your spiritual path if it isn't too personal.

Also, is anyone aware if there are any Christian Wiccan churches?

James

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I know a couple people on this forum who used to be, but I haven't seen one in a while. I'm not entirely sure what CW's borrow from that would cause them to keep both. Hybrids use to give themselves entirely new names, so I'd be curious to see how this thread turns out.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Mike182 used to be, and there were others at one time. I haven't seen any posting recently, but maybe this thread will get the attention of any who are lurking.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Mike182 used to be, and there were others at one time. I haven't seen any posting recently, but maybe this thread will get the attention of any who are lurking.

our good friend Mr. Fluffy was one before he settled on atheism. i think in one post he mentioned that he looked towards the ethical teaching of a religion to judge it as a worthwhile religion or not, and i think he viewed the ethics he found within Christian Wicca in high esteem... but don't quote me on that! (Edit: if anyone remembers Jeffery, he was one too, before changing his mind on the Christian aspects.)

i think that because the CW movement is relatively new, and with it being a personalised religious path that is inclusive of Christian scriptures (though with obvious Pagan interpretation), it has taken on/been given the title of Christian Wicca because of the obvious syncretic nature of the movement. like Victor says, the movement may indeed take on a new name, but i don't see individuals within the movement getting together and actively working to find and postulate a new name.

anyway, although i don't include aspects of Christianity, or some key aspects of Wicca in my religious path anymore, i'm happy to discuss and answer questions on CW if anyone has any :cool:

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
I'm wondering how a Christian Wiccan would deal with all the bible verses saying that witchcraft and magic are evil. Care to explain?

Probably because Biblical example and belief in witchcraft is totally and completely different from modern practices?

Probably because Biblical example and belief in witchcraft is totally and completely different from modern practices?

How so? Magic is magic, and if the source of Christianity says it is evil, then a different kind of magic isn't any more acceptable to God.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
What time of rituals are used in this path? A mixture of Christian and Wiccan? Are there any extrabiblical scriptures used?

James

well, CW doesn't necessitate rituals, but most will use rituals so i'll try my best to answer this.

if we split CW's into two groups, there are:

1) polytheists/Wiccans who accept the life, ethical teachings and sacrifice of Jesus Christ, and include him in their personal Pantheon of Gods. in this case, one of the things Christ asks of his followers is communion, so a CW would likely go to church for the communion ritual, but they will almost certainly be invoking Christ as a Deity in their probably standard Wiccan ceremonies. basically, a normal Wiccan type thing, only using Christ as a Deity instead of Zeus or alongside Zeus for instance.

2) Christians who believe in One God, One Trinity, with Father, Son and Spirit, and also practice Wiccan ceremony or magic. in this case, the focus will be more on Magical practices like energy channeling, Reiki healing, maybe Tarot, but assuming the Christian theology to be the author and power behind these things.

in my experience, all the people in life who i have met who are CW fall into either being 1) Pagan who accepts Christ as an additional Deity to their pantheon, or 2) a Christian who admits to using Magic. either way, they could do any of the whole range of Wiccan and Christian rituals and Magics.

fascist_crusader said:
I'm wondering how a Christian Wiccan would deal with all the bible verses saying that witchcraft and magic are evil. Care to explain?

care to site those verses?

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
fascist_crusader said:
How so? Magic is magic, and if the source of Christianity says it is evil, then a different kind of magic isn't any more acceptable to God.

Magic
an extraordinary power or influence seemingly from a supernatural source

Moses was a magician as his power was from the Supernatural being YHWH.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Also, is anyone aware if there are any Christian Wiccan churches?

sorry, i completely forgot to address this part of your OP :cover:

there are non that i know of, and i suspect that CW's network through small groups that are not widely known. i don't know how many of the denominations out there would be that accepting of CWs, we tend to invade the UUs :D

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da

Maybe because the [FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]in the original Hebrew manuscript, the author used the word m'khashepah to describe the person who should be killed. The word means a woman who uses spoken spells to harm others - e.g. causing their death or loss of property. Clearly "evil sorceress" or "woman who does evil magic" would be the most accurate phrases in today's English usage for this verse.(from http://www.religioustolerance.org/wic_bibl2.htm)

Not Magic in all, it's funny, I believe the original Language is more in true then any English one out there.
[/FONT]

Draka

Wonder Woman

The type of "sorcery" that is eluded to in the bible is not that which is practiced by Wiccans anyway.

If all magic is the same and it is all evil, then Christians are just as guilty of practicing it as Wiccans. We just acknowledge what we're doing is magic. What you should be asking for is a general definition of magic and the methods used to effect such. You will probably find that you, yourself, use such methods, but have never even thought about it being magic.

Let me ask you something, why do you practice magic?

Maybe because the [FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]in the original Hebrew manuscript, the author used the word m'khashepah to describe the person who should be killed. The word means a woman who uses spoken spells to harm others - e.g. causing their death or loss of property. Clearly "evil sorceress" or "woman who does evil magic" would be the most accurate phrases in today's English usage for this verse[/FONT]
Saul wasn't trying to harm anybody consulting a medium, but it was still wrong, and God was greatly displeased with him for it. That's an incorrect definition.

Also, virtually every time the new testament mentions lists of things that are sins, magic/witchcraft is mentioned with them.

Christianity and Wicca are about as compatible as Nazism and Orthodox Judaism.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Let me ask you something, why do you practice magic?

Saul wasn't trying to harm anybody consulting a medium, but it was still wrong, and God was greatly displeased with him for it. That's an incorrect definition.
So what is YOUR definition of the word 'magic?'

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Allow them to answer the question, you'll see the relevance soon enough.

ok, i'm curious to see where you want to go with this...

why do we practice magic? well that's an individual decision with personal reasons, but why cast spells and raise energies? because we believe they have a positive affect in the world, and we want to help bring about positive changes in what ever way we can.