• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anti-trans bill passes in Kentucky

Orbit

I'm a planet
Obviously, nothing or no one “says it all”.
To answer your question; the teen, family and doctor should make decisions, not government. Problem is that far too many kids are being indoctrinated into confusing ideas concerning their sexuality and gender in government schools, unbeknownst by their families. These schools doing the indoctrinated are heavily influenced and financed ( as well as many doctors) again by corporate entities motivated by using kids, creating a market and making money.

This is utter nonsense.

Orbit

I'm a planet
I don’t think it’s legitimate, nor scientifically accurate to say sex and gender are different.
The reason for giving the information about cosmetic financial profits is just to demonstrate the huge motivation of these corporations to invest in, push and manipulate the gender ideology for ongoing profit. Cosmetics are just one aspect of a far larger business complex.

In social science, it is absolutely correct that sex and gender are not the same. Sex refers to biology in all its myriad variations; gender refers to the meanings and expectations that society associates with a certain sex.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
In social science, it is absolutely correct that sex and gender are not the same. Sex refers to biology in all its myriad variations; gender refers to the meanings and expectations that society associates with a certain sex.

To be fair, I think an empirical or medical answer to the question of whether gender and sex are different is within the purview of biology and psychology, not social science (although I realize that psychology may be classed as a subset of the latter). I would instead look to social science for information on how society views each, which social behaviors are typically associated with each, and what expectations society places on people based on gender and sex.

Orbit

I'm a planet
To be fair, I think an empirical or medical answer to the question of whether gender and sex are different is within the purview of biology and psychology, not social science (although I realize that psychology may be classed as a subset of the latter). I would instead look to social science for information on how society views each, which social behaviors are typically associated with each, and what expectations society places on people based on gender and sex.

In the U.S. sociologists study sex and gender, and psychology is a social science also.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
In the U.S. sociologists study sex and gender, and psychology is a social science also.

Do sociologists in the US have to study some aspects of psychology and biology in relation to issues of gender and sex? I'm not familiar with the specifics of the required courses in American sociology degrees.

Orbit

I'm a planet
Do sociologists in the US have to study some aspects of psychology and biology in relation to issues of gender and sex? I'm not familiar with the specifics of the required courses in American sociology degrees.

Sociologists study the gender part, though some sociologists, like Dalton Conley also have a degree in science, in his case, genetics.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If looking like a dumb redneck is the goal.
1680042159527.png

Treasure Hunter

I am interested in responses to the following statement especially from those who identify as transgender:

In this reality that we all currently share, identity is subjective, social, and fluid. Agree? Disagree?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I am interested in responses to the following statement especially from those who identify as transgender:

In this reality that we all currently share, identity is subjective, social, and fluid. Agree? Disagree?
I'm autistic and that's none of those.
It depends on what sort of identity. Something like identifying as a metalhead or Trekkie is vastly more fluid and socially constructed than something like one's inner sense of being male or female, skin color and other things with more direct ties to biology.

Treasure Hunter

I'm autistic and that's none of those.
It depends on what sort of identity. Something like identifying as a metalhead or Trekkie is vastly more fluid and socially constructed than something like one's inner sense of being male or female, skin color and other things with more direct ties to biology.
Do you feel being autistic is an identity that is imposed on you, meaning you are unable to dis-identify with it if you desire to? Do you feel similarly about your current gender? That you are unable to dis-identify with it, even if the desire to identify with a different gender arises in the future?

Treasure Hunter

Do you feel being autistic is an identity that is imposed on you, meaning you are unable to dis-identify with it if you desire to? Do you feel similarly about your current gender? That you are unable to dis-identify with it, even if the desire to identify with a different gender arises in the future?
I’ll answer for myself. In my view, identities are imposed on us, biologically, socially, etc. But, in my experience, I can dis-identify or identify with any identity that is imposed on me. The idea that I am unable to dis-identify, at a subjective level, with any of my identities is hard for me to take seriously. Is that the claim people are making when they say “true transgender” or “actual transgender”?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I’ll answer for myself. In my view, identities are imposed on us, biologically, socially, etc. But, in my experience, I can dis-identify or identify with any identity that is imposed on me. The idea that I am unable to dis-identify, at a subjective level, with any of my identities is hard for me to take seriously. Is that the claim people are making when they say “true transgender” or “actual transgender”?
A corollary to your point: disidentifying with gender stereotypes might be how the agender identity {yeah there is a bit of irony there} could arise. Then there are those who simply reject any identity when it comes to gender, transgender, or agender. So which is the true or actual agender? The one that identifies with rejecting gender, or the one who rejects identity associated with gender?

Treasure Hunter

A corollary to your point: disidentifying with gender stereotypes might be how the agender identity {yeah there is a bit of irony there} could arise. Then there are those who simply reject any identity when it comes to gender, transgender, or agender. So which is the true or actual agender? The one that identifies with rejecting gender, or the one who rejects identity associated with gender?
Then, the question: Is this chaos around gender in the best interest of the state and society? Should it be accommodated or discouraged? Our democratically elected officials determine one way or the other.

crossfire

Premium Member
Then, the question: Is this chaos around gender in the best interest of the state and society? Should it be accommodated or discouraged? Our democratically elected officials determine one way or the other.
That would depend on whether you believe in a top-down herding approach or a bottom-up individual cultivation approach. Individuals can choose to make up a society, but a given society may be short on true individuals. Is there an optimal balance?

crossfire

Premium Member

That would depend on whether you believe in a top-down herding approach or a bottom-up individual cultivation approach. Individuals can choose to make up a society, but a given society may be short on true individuals. Is there an optimal balance?
One thing is for sure: society is changing, whether we like it or not. The birth rate is dropping, whether we like it or not. This might suggest that it might be time to change from a top-down, mass-production strategy to a more individualized, artisan approach to society. Your mileage may vary.
What would a master builder do?

Treasure Hunter

There is no lasting society without some top-down regulation, at least not at this stage of human history. The difference is that in the West, we encourage bottom-up individualism as well. People are free to make their voices heard if they feel that balance is shifted too far in one direction.