• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Answers in Genesis

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I will now try to make some sense of this article, only because it happens to be on the top of their site today:

The “classical” model for regional metamorphic zones presupposes elevated temperatures and pressures due to deep burial and deformation/tectonic forces over large areas over millions of years—an apparent insurmountable hurdle for the creationist framework.

O.K. I have a problem with their terminology right there. It's so inaccurate as to verge on the dishonest. They say "the creationist framework." Why would the idea that garnets are formed after burial and millions of years of pressure be inconsistent with the idea that God created the world. Couldn't God have created garnets this way? Oh, I see, they don't really mean "the creationist framework" at all. They mean "our creationist framework." They are taking the whole idea of God as creator and changing it to mean their bizarre little Young Earth model, which contradicts all of science.

The people who should be screaming bloody murder about this are all the people who DO believe that God created the universe, but who accept modern science and therefore reject the silly, discredited 10,000 year old earth scenario. They're slandering you! They're saying you don't exist. It's either literal Genesis or atheism, apparently.

So right in the intro, they set up the whole idea that unless you buy every jot and tittle of their creation myth, you're an atheism. These are the people who set up the false dichotomy of creationist vs. atheist. It's not the atheists, it's the YECs. They want to monopolize Christianity. The rest of Christianity should be fighting them tooth and nail.

And it's false.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I glance at the author, one Andrew Snelling, Ph.d. A little time on Google brings me to this interesting article. It seems that Dr. Snelling is in the habit of publishing articles in Geological Journals that acknowledge and state that various rock formations are millions of years old. So he contradicts himself on a regular basis. Interesting.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I glance at the author, one Andrew Snelling, Ph.d. A little time on Google brings me to this interesting article. It seems that Dr. Snelling is in the habit of publishing articles in Geological Journals that acknowledge and state that various rock formations are millions of years old. So he contradicts himself on a regular basis. Interesting.
Either that, or this website is a revenue generator of some sort.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I think the motivation for AiG is quite obvious, and it has nothing to do with belief.
Better Business Bureau Report for Answers in Genesis of Kentucky Inc.(2008)

Governance
Chief Executive : Mr. Ken Ham, President & CEO
Compensation: $192,690
Financial
Source of Funds

Contributions________________$9,610,789
GP on sale of goods____________6,038,902
Museum Admission_____________5,218,886
Museum Membership_____________855,723
Seminars_______________________517,427
Other__________________________394,116
In-Kind Donations_________________11,769
Interest and Dividend Income________2,248
Sorry, but I'm not yet allowed to post a link, but by copy/pasting "Better Business Bureau Report for Answers in Genesis of Kentucky" in Google you can bring up the report, which has a bit more information.

Last edited:

RedOne77

The people who should be screaming bloody murder about this are all the people who DO believe that God created the universe, but who accept modern science and therefore reject the silly, discredited 10,000 year old earth scenario. They're slandering you! They're saying you don't exist. It's either literal Genesis or atheism, apparently.

So right in the intro, they set up the whole idea that unless you buy every jot and tittle of their creation myth, you're an atheism. These are the people who set up the false dichotomy of creationist vs. atheist. It's not the atheists, it's the YECs. They want to monopolize Christianity. The rest of Christianity should be fighting them tooth and nail.

And it's false.

Excellent points. Unfortunately, most Christians don't know that much about theology and even less (if any) science. I also think that among those who do know at least some science (enough to know YEC/ID is bull) have a tendency to not voice their opinions among other Christians who blindly accept YEC. To many theistic evolutionists, whether you accept evolution or not is not a salvation issue, while to the YEC camp it is very much a salvation issue to a large extent. This ignorance in tandem with apathy paves the way for YEC to get very little resistance from the majority of non-creationist Christians. This silence poises the false dichotomy to then spread, and my guess is that unless you have at least some college education, you are most likely to go with God/YEC.

Lets not forget that some Christians do fight back. I think the Clergy Letter Project is the best example. With many Christian scientists, like Miller and Collins, trying to reach out to the public saying that you can be a scientist and an active theist. However, just interacting with people in my own church, I think the general Xian public needs a much better science education. It would be nice if we Christians could handle this internally, but I doubt it will happen anytime soon - I would say the status quo for TE is to avoid conversations about it.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Hey, Skwim, my new best friend, is AIG a non-profit, or a business?
Thanks Autodidact.

From the site.

Tax Status
This organization is tax-exempt under section 501(c) ( 3) of the Internal Revenue Code. It is eligible to receive contributions deductible as charitable donations for federal income tax purposes.​

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Excellent points. Unfortunately, most Christians don't know that much about theology and even less (if any) science. I also think that among those who do know at least some science (enough to know YEC/ID is bull) have a tendency to not voice their opinions among other Christians who blindly accept YEC. To many theistic evolutionists, whether you accept evolution or not is not a salvation issue, while to the YEC camp it is very much a salvation issue to a large extent. This ignorance in tandem with apathy paves the way for YEC to get very little resistance from the majority of non-creationist Christians. This silence poises the false dichotomy to then spread, and my guess is that unless you have at least some college education, you are most likely to go with God/YEC.

Lets not forget that some Christians do fight back. I think the Clergy Letter Project is the best example. With many Christian scientists, like Miller and Collins, trying to reach out to the public saying that you can be a scientist and an active theist. However, just interacting with people in my own church, I think the general Xian public needs a much better science education. It would be nice if we Christians could handle this internally, but I doubt it will happen anytime soon - I would say the status quo for TE is to avoid conversations about it.

It may not be a salvation issue for them, but it is the road to perdition for their religion. If Christianity depends on denying science, then Christianity is doomed. Fortunately the YECs are wrong, it doesn't. I guess the non-ridiculous Christians figure they're not concerned so much about Christianity as an institution (other than the Catholic Church) as they are about themselves. They've worked it out to their own satisfaction, so they don't care what the YECs are doing.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I wonder if he's at all worried about the difficulties inherent in passing a camel through the eye of a needle?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I wonder if he's at all worried about the difficulties inherent in passing a camel through the eye of a needle?
That presupposes him to be a sincere believer, rather than a cynical businessman. I have my personal opinion, of course....

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
This thread is to discuss Answers in Genesis. Charlatans, liars, or psychotically deluded?

Or? You make it sound like they aren't all three.

I wouldn't limit their description to only of those three terms. I'd say it's a combination, with a few other terms thrown in there.

Oh - and for the record - I'm not "assuming" anything about them when I say that they are intentionally lying to people, in an effort to persuade weak minded individuals that their particular brand of religion is "right".

I know that they are intentionally lying.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Meh, any degree you can't purchase over the internet, probably isn't worth having anyway.

... but without it, how will I ever land that position teaching local schoolkids about the evils of evolution and atheism?

I mean, the kids NEED me. They DESERVE to have me. I would be doing God's work.

Without me in the driver's seat, some of these kids could be misled into thinking that their mind is capable of learning things outside of the Bible.

Perish the thought ...