• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Dream: Snakes

EverChanging

Snakes appeared in the dream again, but no alligators. I was falling down some sort of hill or cliff, and snakes were everywhere, some small, some large. I was bitten by one; that's all I remember.

May be a coinidence. I really don't know how much there is to dream interpretation. I tend to think that some of it is just random, but some of it may have some significance. I think some are significant because when I have had some sort of bad experience with a friend or something else, I tend to dream about it. Some dreams just seem like a random mixture of what has been going on during my days.

Salad

When it comes to dream interpretation it is important to reflect on how you feel about the dream. Its good that you recognise elements of the day in your dreams. Being able to differentiate between random dreams and those that are influenced by the events of the past day is especially handy. You do mention some common dream symbols such as falling (commonly interpreted as a loss of control in your day to day life) and snakes (which can be interpreted as a phallic symbol)

Maybe someone with more experience in dream interpretation could explain it in more depth but I hope I've shed some light :)

xx

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
You do mention some common dream symbols such as falling (commonly interpreted as a loss of control in your day to day life) and snakes (which can be interpreted as a phallic symbol) :)
From my standpoint, one can make grave errors in the interpretation of dreams by relying on common interpretations. Those who rely on such generic interpretations do not seem to understand that the symbol library of each individual is not something that is static and dead. Likewise, there are not many symbols, if any, that are common to all observers. The symbols themselves are in a continual state of change - like everything else. The obvious conclusion is that relying on such, less than helpful interpretations, can indeed cut one off from far more meaningful and relevant interpretations.

Each individual can unlock their own symbol library, but due to the "realistic" nature of dreams, the observer is often blind-sided by the intensity of the symbol without realizing that such symbols are symbols and quite often highly ironic messages from one level of the psyche to another.

Mr Cheese

most dreamsa re just dreams....

think freud "Sometimes a Cigar, is just a Cigar"

Snakes are generally seen as solar and fire beings....
beings of change...

the phalus is indeed fire....masculine and change....

snakes deal with change, sex, fear, understanding...

Mr Cheese

From my standpoint, one can make grave errors in the interpretation of dreams by relying on common interpretations. Those who rely on such generic interpretations do not seem to understand that the symbol library of each individual is not something that is static and dead. Likewise, there are not many symbols, if any, that are common to all observers. The symbols themselves are in a continual state of change - like everything else. The obvious conclusion is that relying on such, less than helpful interpretations, can indeed cut one off from far more meaningful and relevant interpretations.

Each individual can unlock their own symbol library, but due to the "realistic" nature of dreams, the observer is often blind-sided by the intensity of the symbol without realizing that such symbols are symbols and quite often highly ironic messages from one level of the psyche to another.

very true...

however symbols are often universal....ie the collective mind

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Snakes appeared in the dream again, but no alligators. I was falling down some sort of hill or cliff, and snakes were everywhere, some small, some large. I was bitten by one; that's all I remember.
This is not enough data to provide any coherent analysis unfortunately.

May be a coinidence. I really don't know how much there is to dream interpretation.
Can you think of anyone who is more capable of analyzing your dreams than yourself? No... I am serious. Only you know precisely what your dream symbols mean. I can hazard a guess, due to my unorthodox interpretation methods, but it would only be a guess.

I tend to think that some of it is just random, but some of it may have some significance. I think some are significant because when I have had some sort of bad experience with a friend or something else, I tend to dream about it. Some dreams just seem like a random mixture of what has been going on during my days.
Dreams are like any other activity. You will get out of them what you put into them. If you think that dreams are a random stew of thoughts then, sadly, your dreams WILL reflect this disjointed quality. Your beliefs about dreams and yourself govern the quality of your dreams, your ability to remember them and have a decided impact on your ability to dissect them accurately.

Salad

one can make grave errors in the interpretation of dreams by relying on common interpretations.

Hence why I carefully picked words such as 'can be interpreted'. I don't claim expertise in the area, I am certainly no psychologist.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
easy I can name two....

the six pointed star and the swastika

both transcend religion, culture, continent, time....

and are found all over the planet...

:)
But these are not "universal" as they do not have the same meaning in every instance. Try again.

Hence why I carefully picked words such as 'can be interpreted'. I don't claim expertise in the area, I am certainly no psychologist.
Hence the wording of my own posts. ;)

Mr Cheese

nor am I

yet snakes have symbolic meaning that is generally accepted
that can be researched....

snakes, fire, phalus, evil and good (depending on who you ask), wisdom and ignorance (again who you ask) etc etc

which MAY or may NOT have anythign to do with the dream.....

Ultimatly it is, as has been pointed out...
up to the dreamer to understand...yes?:D

Salad

easy I can name two....

the six pointed star and the swastika

both transcend religion, culture, continent, time....

and are found all over the planet...

:)

very true, but these are symbols created by humans. What about objects of nature that have symbolic status placed upon them by humans?

Such symbols are usually objects of fear (a threat to human survival) or awe (something that acts in a way that transcends our understanding), each can execute a power over humans and therefore as an act of respect we place a status upon them.
(Evidence of this act can be found in Indigenous/Shamanic religion, and I believe that Durkheim mentioned it in his argument about totemism.)

So surely one can argue that there are objects which have a common effect upon humans and therefore require a similar amount of status placed upon it?

Mr Cheese

very true, but these are symbols created by humans.

well some would argue otherwise....(cough cough, but there)

What about objects of nature that have symbolic status placed upon them by humans?

Such as?

Oh you mean snakes for example???

Such symbols are usually objects of fear (a threat to human survival) or awe (something that acts in a way that transcends our understanding), each can execute a power over humans and therefore as an act of respect we place a status upon them.
(Evidence of this act can be found in Indigenous/Shamanic religion, and I believe that Durkheim mentioned it in his argument about totemism.)

So surely one can argue that there are objects which have a common effect upon humans and therefore require a similar amount of status placed upon it?

such objects such as?

No Idea what you are saying about Durkheim...
Although i would say there are many man "symbols" that are not about fear

Take the snake...that is equallys seen, as I mentioned as a good and bad symbol
real quick example: in Gnosticism, the edenic Serpent is seen to be CHrist and Sophia joined as one.... in Snake handling protestant american churches, the eden snake is seen as the embodiment of satan..and probably democrats (joke)

Salad

Such as?

Oh you mean snakes for example???

Snakes are an example yes, I was placing a theory upon the origin of symbols

No Idea what you are saying about Durkheim...
Durkehim in his book entitled The Elementary Forms of Religion discussed totem poles and how a status was placed upon them

Although i would say there are many man "symbols" that are not about fear

yes, hence why I mentioned the concept of status being placed upon objects that inspire awe

in Snake handling protestant american churches, the eden snake is seen as the embodiment of satan..and probably democrats (joke)

In my little experience of snake handlers, I was under the impression that the snake was an object of worship, not an object of evil

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
nor am I

yet snakes have symbolic meaning that is generally accepted
that can be researched....
I will agree with this, Cheesy. The problem is that individuals can come to the wrong conclusion based on such thinking. The context of the event will help determine the meaning of the symbol, as well as the emotional impact it has on the observer. This is not meaning the emotional impact on the dreamer once they have awakened once their conscious prejudices come into play. That simply muddies the whole dream memory.

snakes, fire, phalus, evil and good (depending on who you ask), wisdom and ignorance (again who you ask) etc etc
Exactly, and that is why I tend to pooh-pooh the ideas because there is such a huge range of explanations. Suffice to say that there are some similarities in the symbol library from one individual to another, but one should never assume that a given element has a definitive meaning. What is often overlooked it that various dream elements can have several meanings, all of which are quite valid.

which MAY or may NOT have anythign to do with the dream.....
Again, that is why I am arguing against going with "accepted" interpretations of dream symbols. Each symbol will reflect nuances that only the observer can discern with any degree of certainty. That being said, I am especially adept at unravelling the dream symbols of others due to the very unorthodox methodologies I utilize.

Ultimatly it is, as has been pointed out...
up to the dreamer to understand...yes?:D
Whew. Agreed again, but as I have stressed, the dreamscape reflects the attitudes and beliefs of the individual about both themselves and the nature of dreams. It is due to the belief that dreams are just that, dreams... (I.E. less than real) that we normally take them with a grain of salt. Likewise, the individual is often experiencing reality in several different areas simultaneously during dreams and it is the conscious translation of these simultaneous events that creates the jumbled linear memory.

Last edited:

Mr Cheese

In my little experience of snake handlers, I was under the impression that the snake was an object of worship, not an object of evil
+
no fundamentalist christians go on hunts and kill snakes in large amounts every year...

thats literalism for you

thats what I meant

snakes are generally seen as satan or demons incranate..or representative of...
and handling and killing such snakes shows that you have power over the demons...

not really worship then....lol:D

"I have cleansed the demons"

Salad

+
snakes are generally seen as satan or demons incranate..or representative of...
and handling and killing such snakes shows that you have power over the demons...

not really worship then....lol:D

I am aware that snakes are usually seen as symbols of Satan, however there are religions, Hinduism for example that worships the snake.

Anyway, aren't we becoming a bit removed from the original post? :D

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Snakes are an example yes, I was placing a theory upon the origin of symbols
Now that is an intriguing idea.

Durkehim in his book entitled The Elementary Forms of Religion discussed totem poles and how a status was placed upon them
Understood. Carvers quite literally imbued their handiwork's with elements that were desired. In many cases, carvers say they are liberating forms that already exist within the medium they choose which adds a rather delicious element to the whole process.

yes, hence why I mentioned the concept of status being placed upon objects that inspire awe
This is getting quite interesting as it gets down to very "primitive" or primal aspects of human psychology.

My thinking is that it is more veneration, rather than outright worship, but I could be wrong. It's not something I have investigated to any great degree.

Salad

Now that is an intriguing idea.

Yes, very Dan Brown, Da Vinci Code thing :)

Understood. Carvers quite literally imbued their handiwork's with elements that were desired. In many cases, carvers say they are liberating forms that already exist within the medium they choose which adds a rather delicious element to the whole process.

Well the totem was a central point of the community and the figures within the totem represented that tribe. Use of a fearful animal as part of the Totem will raise that tribe to the same level of fearful status, thus executing power over competitive tribes.

This is getting quite interesting as it gets down to very "primitive" or primal aspects of human psychology.

Primitive perhaps, however I always feel that such a term does not give tribal communities the credit they deserve :D

My thinking is that it is more veneration, rather than outright worship, but I could be wrong. It's not something I have investigated to any great degree.

Worship, for want of a better word :) and it seems that you possess the vocabulary that I need :p