• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Animal" World / homeless Challenge.....

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
Perhaps this is in the wrong section.... perhaps not. Long story, but I'll try to make it as short as possible......

There is this homeless guy I've seen for many months now. He hangs out in the 3rd parking spot of the "sketchy" gas station close to my apartment. The gas station isn't in the nicest neighborhood and the people who run it barely speak English. Yet, it is close and I've comet o know them over the years. Nice, hard working people who deal with more than they should due to the neighborhood.

Anyway, I digress....

This homeless man, just sits there. He never bugs you for money or anything. I've said "hello" an a number of occasions and all he says back is "hello". Never pan-handles, etc.... He just sits there.......

So today I had a dollar in my pocket (I never carry cash). I went over to him and gave him the dollar, introduced myself, and shook his hand. I think it must have been the first time anybody has shook his hand in years! Anyway, I ended up talking to him for about 20 minutes today.

I could tell you his whole life story, but what is the point for those of you who don't care? His name is Thomas, that is what matters. I must digress again and go to a side note here:

*I went to church for the first time in years this past Sunday. It was one of those new "weird", modern churches. Had a bad, pastor wore shorts, etc.... Different from what I grew up in. I liked the message of the sermon (people should be self-feeding in spiritual growth), yet I couldn't help but notice that as much as he also talked about being a family and knowing each other..... nobody knew each other at the church; except for the group in which they sat. At the begining of the service they did this whole "Meet the person next to you thing".... I INTRODUCED MYSELF TO THE 6 PEOPLE CLOSEST TO ME! NOT ONE GAVE ME THEIR NAME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

So back to the moral of this post:

I introduced myself to people in a church who said we should all know and love each other.... I got no name in return. I introduced myself to a homeless man, he introduced himself, I think he got much from my mere handshake, and I got more from him than I did from those at the church.

THIS ISN'T A BANG ON CHURCHES (just got me to think about it), this is about trying to be a better person and treat people like PEOPLE! My meeting with Thomas got me to thinking and really changed my opinion of the homeless.

I don't care for most of them: panhandling, asking me for money, bothering me for change, etc... Thomas has never done that. I'm glad I took the time to introduce myself and talk to him like he were a person as he is one!

Maybe this doesn't make sence to many of you and I couldn't explain it all without a 9 page post. The point of it is this that I'd like to challenge all of you to do the same as I did today.... to go outside of your comfort zone, to treat people like people.

I'm not asking to give to charity, as that is without name. I'd like to ask all who take the time to read this to talk to somebody you don't know and maybe don't "care" for. It may be a neighbor you don't know and don't care for..... a homeless person, etc....

People are people. I think we might all be surprised as to what the gesture of a simple hand shake to a homeless person can do. Even if you don't give them money or anything.... I think it makes them feel like a person again. To shake hands, to talk to another like a REAL person.....

I don't know why, but I would like to challenge you all to do that. I challenge you to treat a person you'd never want to talk like a person. The simple act of saying "hello, my name is...." and shaking hands did wonders for me in a way I don't think I could express in words more than I have.....

If you do, please tell me what happened, etc... I'd love to hear more stories of "regects" of society feeling like people again and what you thought of it. Afterall, we are all PEOPLE and not "animals"......

Circle_One

At the bus stop, at the corner of my street where I wait every morning, this old man sits with his walker, just watching the people walk by. He lives in the old age home behind the bus stop, but he obviously doesn't have any family because he's there from 8am to 7pm every single day. Always alone.

One day, a few months ago, I just decided that I was going to talk to him. And how happy I am that I made that decision. Now I talk to Paul every single day and I see his face light up when he sees me coming up the street. One week when I hadn't taken the bus in a couple days, I went to the stop and he smiled so broadly and pulled me into a hug and said "Sweetheart! I was just thinking about you! I've missed you the last couple of days!"

I see that it makes his day to talk to me, even if for only two minutes. When I see him on the weekends now, sitting in the garden, I'll go and sit with him for 10 minutes. It makes my heart soar just to see how happy he gets just to talk to me for a couple of minutes.

Anyway, that's my story. Paul rocks. I'm totally buying him a christmas present this year.

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
I'm actually on my way to go see Thomas. It is supposed to get cold and rainy here, I have a rain coat I never wear that I want to give to him...plus, just to chat and say "hello" for a bit.

i know a guy at the bus stop every week we meet, we have known each other for 2 years and i never asked for his name or his work, i knew he was a good guy thats all i need to know

Aishikyo

Endless
Perhaps this is in the wrong section.... perhaps not. Long story, but I'll try to make it as short as possible......

There is this homeless guy I've seen for many months now. He hangs out in the 3rd parking spot of the "sketchy" gas station close to my apartment. The gas station isn't in the nicest neighborhood and the people who run it barely speak English. Yet, it is close and I've comet o know them over the years. Nice, hard working people who deal with more than they should due to the neighborhood.

Anyway, I digress....

This homeless man, just sits there. He never bugs you for money or anything. I've said "hello" an a number of occasions and all he says back is "hello". Never pan-handles, etc.... He just sits there.......

So today I had a dollar in my pocket (I never carry cash). I went over to him and gave him the dollar, introduced myself, and shook his hand. I think it must have been the first time anybody has shook his hand in years! Anyway, I ended up talking to him for about 20 minutes today.

I could tell you his whole life story, but what is the point for those of you who don't care? His name is Thomas, that is what matters. I must digress again and go to a side note here:

*I went to church for the first time in years this past Sunday. It was one of those new "weird", modern churches. Had a bad, pastor wore shorts, etc.... Different from what I grew up in. I liked the message of the sermon (people should be self-feeding in spiritual growth), yet I couldn't help but notice that as much as he also talked about being a family and knowing each other..... nobody knew each other at the church; except for the group in which they sat. At the begining of the service they did this whole "Meet the person next to you thing".... I INTRODUCED MYSELF TO THE 6 PEOPLE CLOSEST TO ME! NOT ONE GAVE ME THEIR NAME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

So back to the moral of this post:

I introduced myself to people in a church who said we should all know and love each other.... I got no name in return. I introduced myself to a homeless man, he introduced himself, I think he got much from my mere handshake, and I got more from him than I did from those at the church.

THIS ISN'T A BANG ON CHURCHES (just got me to think about it), this is about trying to be a better person and treat people like PEOPLE! My meeting with Thomas got me to thinking and really changed my opinion of the homeless.

I don't care for most of them: panhandling, asking me for money, bothering me for change, etc... Thomas has never done that. I'm glad I took the time to introduce myself and talk to him like he were a person as he is one!

Maybe this doesn't make sence to many of you and I couldn't explain it all without a 9 page post. The point of it is this that I'd like to challenge all of you to do the same as I did today.... to go outside of your comfort zone, to treat people like people.

I'm not asking to give to charity, as that is without name. I'd like to ask all who take the time to read this to talk to somebody you don't know and maybe don't "care" for. It may be a neighbor you don't know and don't care for..... a homeless person, etc....

People are people. I think we might all be surprised as to what the gesture of a simple hand shake to a homeless person can do. Even if you don't give them money or anything.... I think it makes them feel like a person again. To shake hands, to talk to another like a REAL person.....

I don't know why, but I would like to challenge you all to do that. I challenge you to treat a person you'd never want to talk like a person. The simple act of saying "hello, my name is...." and shaking hands did wonders for me in a way I don't think I could express in words more than I have.....

If you do, please tell me what happened, etc... I'd love to hear more stories of "regects" of society feeling like people again and what you thought of it. Afterall, we are all PEOPLE and not "animals"......

I agree that people should treat other people with more respect. Most people would just look down on the homeless with disgust. But I don't believe that someone needs a name to be human. I actually don't really care for names. In fact, I rarely use my given name for anything on the internet. A name is merely a tool to use to make sure everyone knows who you're addressing, for the most part.
Though I do usually like the names I come up with. I'd much prefer it if people called me by one of those. I suppose that's why I rarely tell anyone my actual name on the internet.

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
I go by a fake name here, obviously! Yet, I do like for people to know my given name when in person. If that makes sence.... I need not be anybody else but me. My given name is my name here, I like to know the names of those I meet that others don't care to know. I think that is the only difference...... You don't want people to know your name, I think Thomas is grateful that I do know his name.... his story, him.... etc...

If that made sence.

Aishikyo

Endless
I go by a fake name here, obviously! Yet, I do like for people to know my given name when in person. If that makes sence.... I need not be anybody else but me. My given name is my name here, I like to know the names of those I meet that others don't care to know. I think that is the only difference...... You don't want people to know your name, I think Thomas is grateful that I do know his name.... his story, him.... etc...

If that made sence.

Yes I agree, he most likely is grateful that you know him and have actually taken the time to know who he really is, I just don't think that not knowing someone's name necessarily means that you don't think of them as a person.

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
Yes I agree, he most likely is grateful that you know him and have actually taken the time to know who he really is, I just don't think that not knowing someone's name necessarily means that you don't think of them as a person.

That I do agree with! Yet as people, it is nice to put a name to the face.... it makes it even more "personal" so to speak! ;)

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Oh, that was so kind of you! I totally agree. We are all people. We are all equal and we should never look down on anyone else. Everyone wants to be loved and accepted. We all want...and deserve to feel important! :)

Afterall, we are all PEOPLE and not "animals"......

Well, being an animal lover, I sort of consider myself as one with other life forms as well. :) Dale Carnegie said that we can learn unconditional love from a dog. If we really think about it...an animal will not discriminate like how humans will. An animal will quicker associate with a homeless person than a human will. Animals just give love. They don't care if you're poor or rich. :)

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
Hema, as usual you humble me! Perhaps what you said is the lesson of my post:

An animal will quicker associate with a homeless person than a human will. Animals just give love. They don't care if you're poor or rich.

Perhaps that is why I said it was a "challenge"....

CelticRavenwolf

She Who is Lost
Thank you for sharing this! it certainly gives a person a lot to think about.

It kind of reminds me of when I was in University. I had to attend several different kinds of churches then compare and contrast them for my Sociology of Religion class.

First I chose a Catholic church. I was raised Catholic so there is a certain familiarity there, even if it is no longer a part of my beliefs. While at that church not a single person said hello to me, a stranger coming to church alone. During the making of peace all I got was a hand shake and a 'peace be with you' as is formal - nothing else, not even eye contact! Even as I was leaving I tried to ask the priest a few questions but he barely gave me the time of day and seemed very impatient to be off.

Next I went to a new, 'non-denominational' church that was very "hip" and tried way to hard to reel in teenagers and University students. They were over-the-top friendly and casual, but it was that blank, generic approach that gives you the impression that nice as they are they really don't give one whit about you and won't even remember your name the moment they turn away.

Finally I went to an Anglican church. I thought this would be interesting because of how many similarities it has to Catholicism. I was blown away by the people of this church! They refused to let me slink in and sit at the back, parishioners insisting I come up and sit with them with the collective group. They made small talk until the service started, and at the making of peace I think just about everyone within 4 pews of where I was sitting made sure to come over and introduce themselves and ask questions. This was no quiet formality - it was a 5 minute interlude of social connection!

At the end of the service I tried to duck out during the final song. The pastor himself practically ran down the aisle to catch me at the door, encouraging me to stay for coffee and snacks and chat with everyone. I honestly can't remember when I've been made to feel that welcome, and it's stuck with me ever since. THAT is what I believe a church should be all about.

I tend to do what you ask a lot with people who come in to where I work, or that I would end up on the bus with. People often lead such fascinating lives, and it's interesting to see how they ended up where they're at. Every once and a while I find myself in an interesting conversation with a complete stranger, but for the most part I tend to avoid introduction or small talk conversations whenever possible. Honestly, I don't like investing that time and interest in just anyone that I meet.