• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Angels, Humans, and Free Will..

So I was raised half of my life in church and I have always been confused about something: Did angels have free will? I was always told that angels didn't have free will and that's why god created humans with free will. Basically my limited knowledge on this is that angels had to praise and worship him because that's what he created them to do and I guess he wanted to create something that had the choice to worship and praise him. Is that correct? Are there any scriptures on this?

The biggest problem I have with this is that lucifer/satan was an angel, from my understanding, and he made a choice to go against god and so did other angels who then became demons. Well, if they were created to only worship and praise and had no free will then how did they make this choice?:shrug:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Since humans have free will, then I assume angels do, too. But I really don't know, it doesn't really talk about angels much.
Welcome to the forum.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
There is another thing: I am not convinced Satan was an angel at all and I am 99% positive that Satan and Lucifer are not the same, even if Satan is an angel.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
So I was raised half of my life in church and I have always been confused about something: Did angels have free will? I was always told that angels didn't have free will and that's why god created humans with free will. Basically my limited knowledge on this is that angels had to praise and worship him because that's what he created them to do and I guess he wanted to create something that had the choice to worship and praise him. Is that correct? Are there any scriptures on this?

The biggest problem I have with this is that lucifer/satan was an angel, from my understanding, and he made a choice to go against god and so did other angels who then became demons. Well, if they were created to only worship and praise and had no free will then how did they make this choice?:shrug:
This has always bugged me, too.

Since humans have free will, then I assume angels do, too. But I really don't know, it doesn't really talk about angels much.
Welcome to the forum.
I don't know about Protestant tradition, but I'm quite certain that Catholicism holds that angels were not granted free will. I could be wrong, though.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
The way I see it. Satan and the angels have free will at least to some extent. It is clear that Satan became jealous because God would not give him as much power as he desired. This is what lead him to rebel, and rally any other angels/human souls who agreed with him.

BruceDLimber

Greetings! :)

Yes, angels have free will.

The Baha'i scriptures say this:

“And now, concerning His words: ‘And He shall send His angels….’ By ‘angels is meant those who, reinforced by the power of the spirit, have consumed, with the fire of the love of God, all human traits and limitations, and have clothed themselves with the attributes of the most exalted Beings….”

-- The Book of Certitude, pp. 78-79.

Thus angels are people who have become completely spiritual (and in this life, we have free will)!

Best! :)

Bruce

maby they just had selfawareness and knew they had no free will so they found a way to get it (becoming demons)

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I've always thought that some angels don't have free will, others do. I don't buy the concept of jinn like in Islam, but if I did they would be a good way of reconciling the differences. :D

So, I've done some research and I'm really confused on christian mythology still. What I've found so far is all pointing to angels having free will. I don't understand why god then decided to create humans if he already had beings that chose to praise him.

Also, this passage from the bible was confusing (2Peter 2:4) it calls the fallen angels "the angels that sinned". I thought that there was no sin until Adam and Eve. Wasn't everything that god made supposed to be good? I thought that god's glory was so amazing that you wouldn't want to leave his presence. Why would the angels choose to turn away? If it was because they wanted to do their own thing and that they thought they were better than god than that would've been sin. So where did the sin come from? Did god create them with sinful nature?

It just doesn't seem to make much sense to me?

In fact, the whole topic of free will is very interesting, yet, a misunderstood topic. Almighty Allah has honored humans and endowed them with two important gifts.

The first is the ability to differentiate between right and wrong, and that is attained by the very clean human instinct and then furthered by the dos and the don'ts as explained by Shariah.

The second gift that was given to humans by their Creator is the free will to choose between what is good and what is bad. Of course, this choice is not a blind one; rather, it is based on the Divinely endowed will and the nature that is able to differentiate between right and wrong.

Bearing all this in mind, none can ask to be excused on the Day of Judgment because they had no knowledge of what is right and what is wrong or did not have the free will.

The simple reason for this is, as explained before, that people do have the ability to discern what is correct and what is not, and are endowed with responsible will that enables them to take full responsibility of all their words and deeds.

This very notion of being able to differentiate between what is right and what is wrong puts humans in a delicate test to explore and show their real obedience to their Creator.

Therefore, people who make the effort, struggle against their will and directs it towards Allah are better than angels in that sense.

This is because angels do not have this free will. They are there for specific purposes and to do specific jobs like carrying the messages of Allah to the messengers of Allah, protecting human beings and recording their deeds.
Because they have no free will, and they are just cut for obedience, angels will not be reckoned on the Day of Judgment, because there is no point of doing that to them.

Of course, this is then completely different from human beings who, on the Day of Judgment, will be taken to task for their deeds and punished or rewarded according to their choices.

Some people may question: if angels were created to obey and have no free will, how come then that Satan said: "No" when he was commanded to prostrate, amongst all other angels, to Adam? Is not that considered to be disobedience and thus it gives an indication of some kind of choice?

The simple answer to all this is no, simply because Satan was never one of the angels and never will be.

So, if that is the case, what is the whole story behind the Satan's being mentioned in the same context and what brought him to the scene? To answer this question, we need to refer to the Quran itself and the books of exegesis.

The Quran tells us in another place that Satan was one of the jinn and he disobeyed the command of his Lord.

Almighty Allah says:

[FONT=&quot][[/FONT]And (remember) when we said unto the angels: Fall prostrate before Adam. And they fell prostrate, all save Iblis. He was one of the jinn, so he rebelled against his Lord’s command.[FONT=&quot]][/FONT] (Al-Kahf 18:51)

In his commentary on this verse, Muhammad Marmaduke Pickthall, one of the most well-known translators of the meanings of the Quran, wrote: "The fact that Iblis or Satan is one of the Jinn and not of the angels, though he was among the latter, explains his disobedience, since Jinn, like men, can choose their path of conduct." (Pickthall, The Holy Quran, pg. 186)

With this in mind, we can understand what our scholars tell us that Iblis (a name of Satan) was actually one of the jinn, and was so obedient to Allah that He raised him, for wisdom and a purpose, to higher ranks and he was living in the heavens, worshipping with the angels.

When he was commanded to prostrate to Adam, he was there in his place amongst the angels, but because of his nature, he was still endowed with the free will to choose.

His presence there was definitely for a purpose. Probably, it was a test and Almighty Allah knew that Satan was going to do this.

Either way, Satan was not one of the angels and therefore, the characteristics of the angels do not apply on him.

One final thing remains. Humans have an eternal enmity with Satan and know that Satan is sparing no efforts all the time to misguide and mislead them. Therefore, they should be very cautious and alert, never to fall in the snares of Satan.

Islam teaches that the way out is to resort to Allah all the time and pray to Him for guidance and protection. Muslims are taught by the Quran to seek refuge in Allah from the accursed Satan and say: "I seek refuge in Allah from the accursed Satan."

May God protect us all from Satan and forgive our sins and mistakes.

I hope this answered your question

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I can't talk for the second site and we all know that Wiki is only as good as what people have written...............

According to : -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel
(a short extract)

Angels are usually viewed as messengers of a supreme divine being, sent to do the tasks of that being. Traditions vary as to whether angels have free will. While the appearance of angels also varies, many views of angels give them a human shape. Despite a common popular belief— or at least metaphor— that angels are former human beings, most major religious groups deny such a view, and this position is held only by Latter Day Saints and the Bahá'í Faith.

Do angels have a free will as we do here on earth?

Satan's rebellion is proof that angels had free will. Since God does not change, we know that such remains to be the case.
In a dream, angels communicated with me through some sort of telepathy. Do they really do that?

Angels do not communicate anywhere in the Bible (which is a long book) in a telepathic manner. The Bible records angels’ communication using words like “said,” “called,” “talked,” “asked,” and “answered.” These indicate standard speech. They also use “body language.” For example, if an angel is carrying a drawn sword (as in Numbers 22:23), the topic will not be philosophical discussion! (By the way, that example in Numbers is the “angel of the LORD,” who most theologians believe to be God appearing as an angel.) While we would not presume to place a limit on their capability of communicating, the complete lack of any comment on telepathic communication in the Bible indicates that angels do not use telepathy.

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Angels do not communicate anywhere in the Bible (which is a long book) in a telepathic manner. The Bible records angels’ communication using words like “said,” “called,” “talked,” “asked,” and “answered.” These indicate standard speech.
But we don't have separate words for telepathic speech. We've not needed them. So if someone was describing telepathic speech it would not surprise me at all for them to choose the words of standard speech to express the communication metaphorically.

My brother, you have stumbled across a subdivision of Christian, Islamic, and Jewish theology called "angelology". I am an expert on this matter.

-There are many different theories on angelology.
-The most common is the Three Choir Angelic Hierarchy. This is used by MANY scholors and theologists including myself and my associates.

The Three Choir Angelic Hierarchy:
God has three divisions of angels, but all are loved equally by Him.

Illud Pro:
Seraphim- six-winged angels controlled by God
Cherubim- said to have four faces: a man, a bull, an eagle, and a lamb/lion; their true selves are said to be the winged bull, or cherub; these angels sour around God praising His Name.
Thrones (Elders)- the thrones are angels who are God's council as portrayed in Revelations, in some mentions, they are said to stand in His Presense on fire

Divinis Scriptor:
Dominions- 7 great angels with free will that lovingly serve God and fill out His Commands
Virtues- "free" great angels who travel visiting the Powers and staying with God's Earthly Saints
Powers- "free" angels that cast out demons under the order of the Dominions and Virtues; they often serve as second Guardian Angels

Sanctus Viator:
Principalities- 7 GREAT angels who watch over an assigned nation; "generals"
Arch Angels- great angels that serve under Principalities; "commanders"
Vanguard- great guardian angel that guards a religious leader
Guardians- common angels that protect an individual person of faith
(Common) Angel- messengers/soldiers under Arch Angels that do His Works

Luke

freedom and not free will i s subjket i n study tech for longtime.i dont believe i n angels becuase i not see them and no person i will believe have not see them. i dont believe i n free will becuase it never exist and no god give this to us. the queston i think is not that we are free becuase this depend on what we experiience i n life and in societe. the queston should b e not do we have free will but what does i t mean to be free.i believe the only way to be free is the person himselve. i want t o be free but i am not yet but will be somday.