• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Angellous' Anthology of Amusing Ancient Axioms

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date
A

angellous_evangellous

From Aelius Theon (Hock and O'Neil, Chreia, pg 99):

To Diogenes the Philosopher, on seeing a rich young man who was uneducated, it seemed best to say: "This fellow is silver-plated filth."

:D

A

angellous_evangellous

Cicero, Laws, 2.194

“Scratch me, and I’ll scratch you,” is the order of the day; and the most learned writer must stoop to the most ignorant reader, in order to be tolerated.

Heneni

Miss Independent
The one you have been thinking about....I dont get. Who is doing the reading?

Have read through all the posts in this thread. HONK HONK! Thanks.

Heneni

A

angellous_evangellous

Urine is sterile...

Love

Dallas

It really is remarkable how much they used urine in ancient times.

I may well write a book about it. Just to be a smart-alek. Heck, I may start a committee of international scholars to present papers on it at a meeting.:D

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
It really is remarkable how much they used urine in ancient times.

I may well write a book about it. Just to be a smart-alek. Heck, I may start a committee of international scholars to present papers on it at a meeting.:D

That should surely win you the Nobel Peace Prize I would say...

Love

Dallas

A

angellous_evangellous

Well if they dont award it twice..Im sure they make expceptions for they Daddy's!!

Love

Dallas

My thoughts exactly. But Daddy don't need no Nobel, and they know it.

One can see therefore just how complex the issue is. :shrug:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
My thoughts exactly. But Daddy don't need no Nobel, and they know it.

One can see therefore just how complex the issue is. :shrug:

Yes I see the enigma here...But what you have to understand is that it would be such an honor for them to give it to you..How could you deny them that? Its called "withholding affection"..and its just not right ...

Love

Dallas

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
If I attend that meeting, I think I'll bring my own coffee.

But see by then..We will be putting urine in the water supply..So you just have to accept being sterilized internally whether you like it or not.Its just not up to you anymore..You have no control over it...

Love

Dallas

A

angellous_evangellous

The great philosopher Heraclitus said:

37. The sun is the breadth of a man's foot.

A

angellous_evangellous

The Christian 'philosopher' Tatian -

From his Address to the Greeks, chapter 30

"For it is possible to show that the opinions held about the facts themselves also are false. For, where the assigned dates do not agree together, it is impossible that the history should be true. For what is the cause of error in writing, but the narrating of things that are not true?"

----

This portrays a critical sense for the nature of historical evidence.

A

angellous_evangellous

Perhaps this is punishment for homosexual men who have no inclination to marry:

Athenaeus 13.2
"But Clearchus of Soli, in his treatise On Proverbs, says,- "In Lacedemmon the women, on a certain festival, drag the unmarried men to an altar, and then thrash them; in order that, for the purpose of avoiding the insult of such treatment, they may become more affectionate, and in due season may turn their thoughts to marriage."

And later on he writes:

"[4.] But Heracles is the man who appears to have had more wives than any one else, for he was very much addicted to women; and he had them in turn, like a soldier, and a man employed at different times in different countries. And by them he had also a great multitude of children. For, in one week, as Herodorus relates, he relieved the fifty daughters of Thestius of their virginity."

What a delicate translation.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

angellous_evangellous

"And Theophilus, in his Neoptolemus, says-
A young wife does not suit an old man well;
For, like a crazy boat, she not at all
Answers the helm, but slips her cable off
By night, and in some other port is found."

A

angellous_evangellous

"And Diogenes, when he saw some one once whose chin was smooth, said, 'I am afraid you think you have great ground to accuse nature, for having made you a man and not a woman.'"

A

angellous_evangellous

"But Heracleides Lembus relates that in Sparta the handsomest man and the handsomest woman have special honours conferred on them; and Sparta is famous for producing the handsomest women in the world. On which account they tell a story of king Archidamus, that when one wife was offered to him who was very handsome, and another who was ugly but rich, and he chose the rich one, the ephors imposed a fine upon him, saying that he had preferred begetting kinglings rather than kings for the Spartans."