• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And He Shall Be Called a Nazarene

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
There is nothing about Matthew 2:23 that is wordplay.The verse makes it very clear that it is the fact that Joseph and Mary lived in Nazareth that fulfills the prophecy. Therefore any prophecy in the Tanakh about the Messiah being called a Nazarene will have to do with the city of Nazarteth, not a branch. Nice try.

Matthew doesn't say he's using wordplay, however, this is an established technique in Bible commentary/interpretation.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
There is nothing about Matthew 2:23 that is wordplay.The verse makes it very clear that it is the fact that Joseph and Mary lived in Nazareth that fulfills the prophecy. Therefore any prophecy in the Tanakh about the Messiah being called a Nazarene will have to do with the city of Nazarteth, not a branch. Nice try.

PS. You should address the other thing I wrote, that hundreds of OBVIOUS pointers to Jesus Christ are considered non-Messianic prophecy, so that we Jews are stuck and barely would recognize Messiah if He came today!

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
What books, Numbers? 1st century?

Or do you mean the Greek gospels that were fabricated later on?
books of the nt. books by the essenes. books by the other factions that aren't listed in the jewish canons, tanak.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Respectfully, I don't think evolved is a good description for this. It would be more like a pendulum. What you're describing is a snapshot in time. You may be correct about the trend, but that trend could be at an extreme such that shortly after the snapshot was taken the trend slows down and reverses course.

If so, it's difficult to tell from the arguments you've offered whether or not Hebrew is or is not important now. The past is the past after all. Now is what matters :)
everything evolves or else it involutes, involves.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
oh, fiction. Got it.
just because books aren't in the tanak don't make them fiction.

we have hippolytus and others to thank for mentioning these folks.

we also know writings were found out qumran

so your labeling them fiction doesn't make it so

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I'm not up on scholarship, but aren't we undecided on whether or not those books were even written by Essenes?
you'll have to go to bat with hippolytus on that. that is going to be a tall order

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
different root and different meaning of consecrate. Something made kadosh and a nazir are two very different statuses. Maybe you would rather connect Jesus to "kadesha". Same root.
so you're claiming that to separate as a nazarite is neither?

i've already shown you that the essenes used nazirite vows in their rules

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I don't really like Ancient Greek theatre.
well unfortunately neither did the ultra orthodox jews but those were the land lords and those were the rules.

judea, palestine, what ever you want to label it was hellenized in 1st century middle east

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
well unfortunately neither did the ultra orthodox jews but those were the land lords and those were the rules.

judea, palestine, what ever you want to label it was hellenized in 1st century middle east
There were no Ultra Orthodox Jews in the 1st century. This is a modern label.

Fallen Prophet

Any sayings of prophecy or other books of prophecy that didn't make it into the canon didn't cut the mustard because they do not have messages that are for more than their day. This is why we know they didn't have messianic prophecies.
Who made these decisions and why do you trust them?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
There were no Ultra Orthodox Jews in the 1st century. This is a modern label.
i'm referring to the essenes. they went above and beyond your typical pharisees.

again hangups, biases to words. if you prefer the term more fundamentalist pharisees.