• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ancient Civilizations

cladking

The tower was destroyed about 2242 BC.. The Great Ziggurat of Babylon pedestal was square and 91 meters (300 ft) in height.

Some scholars think it is a metaphor for the collapse of literacy during the Bronze Age.

Interesting.

I believe the "collapse of literacy" is much closer to the reality than a literal tower or that it didn't happen because it's in the Bible.

sooda

Veteran Member
Interesting.

I believe the "collapse of literacy" is much closer to the reality than a literal tower or that it didn't happen because it's in the Bible.

The more I look for an article I read several years ago about the collapse of literacy and the collapse of the civilization the more confused I get. Some are saying the Tower of Babel myth dates to 3500 BC which would mean it predates the flood and the Hebrews..

Could be like Sodom and Gomorrah.. ..the story was ancient long before the Bronze age.

cladking

The more I look for an article I read several years ago about the collapse of literacy and the collapse of the civilization the more confused I get. Some are saying the Tower of Babel myth dates to 3500 BC which would mean it predates the flood and the Hebrews..

Could be like Sodom and Gomorrah.. ..the story was ancient long before the Bronze age.

I figure 2000 BC only because this seems about the earliest that real history begins. Since Ancient Language isn't translatable it seems logical that the first history would begin when the official language was modern language.

I believe much of the Bible is literally true but some of the meaning will never be sorted out because even the sources are confused. I find it very telling that the first "religion" as evidenced by the Dead Sea Scrolls emphasized the concept of Knowledge > Creation > Understanding being the very foundation of "God"; the Father the Son and the Holy Ghost. Of course this fits with neither religious nor scientific beliefs. It's kindda cute that most scientific belief is held with the kind of dogmatism associated with the Spanish Inquisition. Nobody is holier than thou than most people who believe in science.

sooda

Veteran Member
I figure 2000 BC only because this seems about the earliest that real history begins. Since Ancient Language isn't translatable it seems logical that the first history would begin when the official language was modern language.

I believe much of the Bible is literally true but some of the meaning will never be sorted out because even the sources are confused. I find it very telling that the first "religion" as evidenced by the Dead Sea Scrolls emphasized the concept of Knowledge > Creation > Understanding being the very foundation of "God"; the Father the Son and the Holy Ghost. Of course this fits with neither religious nor scientific beliefs. It's kindda cute that most scientific belief is held with the kind of dogmatism associated with the Spanish Inquisition. Nobody is holier than thou than most people who believe in science.

The Dead Sea Scrolls date to the first century or just a 100 years earlier and I assume they may have been copies from earlier scrolls.

The area is hellish, barren, arid and ugly.

cladking

The Dead Sea Scrolls date to the first century or just a 100 years earlier and I assume they may have been copies from earlier scrolls.

The area is hellish, barren, arid and ugly.

Are you sure of this?

My understanding is some of these date back to 600 BC.

sooda

Veteran Member
Are you sure of this?

My understanding is some of these date back to 600 BC.

Dead Sea scrolls date

Image: ashtarcommandcrew.net
Discovered between 1947 and 1956, the Dead Sea Scrolls comprise some 800 documents but in many tens of thousands of fragments. The Scrolls date from around 250 B.C. to 68 A.D. and were written in Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek; they contain Biblical and apocryphal works, prayers and legal texts and sectarian documents.
Dead Sea Scrolls Archives - Biblical Archaeology Society
www.biblicalarchaeology.org/category/daily/biblical-artifacts/dead-sea-scrolls/

The Anointed

Dead Sea scrolls date

Image: ashtarcommandcrew.net
Discovered between 1947 and 1956, the Dead Sea Scrolls comprise some 800 documents but in many tens of thousands of fragments. The Scrolls date from around 250 B.C. to 68 A.D. and were written in Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek; they contain Biblical and apocryphal works, prayers and legal texts and sectarian documents.
Dead Sea Scrolls Archives - Biblical Archaeology Society
www.biblicalarchaeology.org/category/daily/biblical-artifacts/dead-sea-scrolls/

The oldest known Jewish work not included in the canon of Constantine’s universal church, is the Book of Enoch. This is a complex work, the known COPIES of which were written in the third (or perhaps even the late fourth) century BCE, after the return from the Babylonian Exile and the establishment of the Second Jewish Commonwealth (6th-5th centuries BCE) and before the Maccabean revolt in 172 BCE.

The oldest COPIES of the Book of Enoch, dating from the third century BCE, were discovered among the Dead Sea Scrolls

Among the Dead Sea Scrolls were a number of manuscripts of the Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha, including ten manuscripts of the Book of Enoch in the original Aramaic (until then copies were extant only in an Ethiopic translation of a Greek translation of a Semitic original), which were vital to answering many questions about its origins. Dating of the manuscripts by their script shows that certain parts of Enoch are at least as old as the third century BCE.

I believe, and will later reveal, that there is ample evidence to support the belief that the original Books of Enoch, the latest COPIES of which were discovered among the Dead Sea scrolls, date back much earlier than the 5th century, and that the originals were taken from Egypt, the land of first born, by Moses.

Genesis 5: 23; Enoch was 365 and had spent his life in fellowship with God when he disappeared because God had Taken him.

Hebrews 11: 5; "By faith Enoch was Translated (To change from one form to another) so that he should not experience death; and he was not found, because God had Translated him.

Enoch, the most important man in the OT and the NT, and yet he has been rejected by both the Jewish church and the Roman church of Emperor Constantine.

sooda

Veteran Member
The oldest known Jewish work not included in the canon of Constantine’s universal church, is the Book of Enoch. This is a complex work, the known COPIES of which were written in the third (or perhaps even the late fourth) century BCE, after the return from the Babylonian Exile and the establishment of the Second Jewish Commonwealth (6th-5th centuries BCE) and before the Maccabean revolt in 172 BCE.

The oldest COPIES of the Book of Enoch, dating from the third century BCE, were discovered among the Dead Sea Scrolls

Among the Dead Sea Scrolls were a number of manuscripts of the Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha, including ten manuscripts of the Book of Enoch in the original Aramaic (until then copies were extant only in an Ethiopic translation of a Greek translation of a Semitic original), which were vital to answering many questions about its origins. Dating of the manuscripts by their script shows that certain parts of Enoch are at least as old as the third century BCE.

I believe, and will later reveal, that there is ample evidence to support the belief that the original Books of Enoch, the latest COPIES of which were discovered among the Dead Sea scrolls, date back much earlier than the 5th century, and that the originals were taken from Egypt, the land of first born, by Moses.

Genesis 5: 23; Enoch was 365 and had spent his life in fellowship with God when he disappeared because God had Taken him.

Hebrews 11: 5; "By faith Enoch was Translated (To change from one form to another) so that he should not experience death; and he was not found, because God had Translated him.

Enoch, the most important man in the OT and the NT, and yet he has been rejected by both the Jewish church and the Roman church of Emperor Constantine.

The Book of Enoch (also 1 Enoch; Ge'ez: ) is an ancient Jewish religious work, ascribed by tradition to Enoch, the great-grandfather of Noah.

The older sections (mainly in the Book of the Watchers) of the text are estimated to date from about 300 BC, and the latest part (Book of Parables)
probably to the first century BC.

The book of Enoch resurfaced at the beginning of the 17th century when it was discovered in Ethiopia, written in an Ethiopic language. In fact, the book of Enoch is preserved in it's entirety in the Church at Ethiopia, and is included in their Bible.

The scrolls were found hidden in caves in Ethiopia in 1773. These scrolls were evidently hidden in the same historical period as the Dead Sea Scrolls.

The dating of Enoch varies from scholar to scholar. However, it seems most agree the earliest parts of the book were written during the pre-Maccabaean period.

This would place it sometime before 164 B.C.E. Dates for the earliest portions have ranged from sometime in the 300's B.C.E. to 200 B.C.E. The latest portions were written in 64 B.C.E.

The Ethiopians claim it was divine scripture, and treat it as such to this day.

The Book of Enoch