• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An opinion that Western Media is not reporting Repression in Iran as it should

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Opinion | Western Media Aren’t Telling You the Truth About Iran

There is repression going on in Iran and the Western media focuses on getting a nuclear deal, which is hypocrisy by the Western powers when they have nuclear weapons themselves! Do they really think Iran will actually use a nuclear bomb? No one has used a nuclear bomb on anyone since 1945. No on dares. Use sanctions over this repression rather than over a nuclear deal!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Just today, the BBC focused upon oppression
in Iran. They're a western news medium, eh.
It looks pretty bad.

danieldemol

Premium Member

There is repression going on in Iran and the Western media focuses on getting a nuclear deal, which is hypocrisy by the Western powers when they have nuclear weapons themselves! Do they really think Iran will actually use a nuclear bomb? No one has used a nuclear bomb on anyone since 1945. No on dares. Use sanctions over this repression rather than over a nuclear deal!
It was behind a pay wall, but why would you think an irrational leadership prepared to oppress its own people and others wouldn't be prepared to use any means at its disposal to oppress both its own people and others?

Sounds like a good argument for keeping some of the nastier weapons out of its means.

And besides, if you want sanctions on Iran anyway this changes nothing at the practical level.

Finally the Western media tend to prioritise, which means we would expect the relatively less oppression of Iran to get drowned out a little compared to say war in Ukraine, do you think the media shouldn't prioritise?

In my opinion.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I'll tell ya what western media tend to not cover....
Our regular assaults upon Iran:
- The 1953 coup
- The Iran-Iraq proxy war we waged.
- Stuxnet

If we stopped treating them as the enemy, perhaps
they wouldn't feel the need for nuclear weapons to
defend against us & Israel.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I agree that there are many problems with the way the U.S. media cover things, both internationally and domestically. There are some countries and governments the media love, some that they hate, and most are indifferent to. I wouldn't say the media give a very balanced or complete view of the world, although they are useful at signaling what issues and parts of the world the ruling class cares about.

The West has been well aware of the repression in Iran. Iran got America's attention when the attacked and occupied our embassy back in 1979, holding American hostages for 444 days. There were rumors that the Reagan presidential campaign had colluded with the Iranians to make President Carter look bad. Then there was the subsequent Iran-Contra scandal which involved Reagan's administration. Yet, America helped Iraq in their war against Iran, but then all of a sudden, Iraq became the big enemy, and Iran was put on the back burner.

They were worried about WMDs in Iraq as well.

I don't know if Iran wants to build a nuclear weapon, nor do I know what they would do with it if they had one. I don't think they'd be any more or less dangerous than North Korea or Pakistan or even Russia or China having nuclear weapons. Nuclear weapons are a fact of life, and it remains a historical fact that the U.S. is the only country to ever use nuclear weapons on live targets. If Iran gets nuclear weapons, then they get nuclear weapons. If they use them, then I would expect the US government would retaliate in kind and turn Iran into a giant parking lot - something that many said we should do back in 1979.

The repression and the resistance against it has been reported to some extent, but I would agree that it doesn't get as much attention as one might hope for.

The strange thing about it is that this is exactly the thing that the internet was supposed to remedy. In the pre-internet/pre-cable days, we had to rely on the local news channels, the broadcast networks, and the state/local press to get information. Now, we can go to any news website anywhere in the world and get information and perspectives from every corner of the earth. It's available and accessible, but it may not necessarily show up on the standard newsfeed one might get. One has to look for it, and most people might just rely on the major news services by default.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There were rumors that the Reagan presidential campaign had colluded with the Iranians to make President Carter look bad.
There are rumors that Biden stole the election from Trump.
Any of these rumors have cromulent evidence?

pearl

Do they really think Iran will actually use a nuclear bomb? No one has used a nuclear bomb on anyone since 1945. No on dares. Use sanctions over this repression rather than over a nuclear deal!

No one dares unless one welcomes the end of this world, think of the extremists views.

Truthseeker

Just today, the BBC focused upon oppression
in Iran. They're a western news medium, eh.
It looks pretty bad.
The media will report on oppression in other countries, but not as much as what the citizens of those countries see as their own interest. I have no solution right now to this problem. It would be nice if people were less selfish and looking after others, but that's the way it is right now. The media reports on what the public is interested in, which is their own interest. It would be nice, too, if the media led more and told people what is good for humanity as a whole, but that's not going to happen soon.

My concern goes beyond Iran.

Truthseeker

It was behind a pay wall, but why would you think an irrational leadership prepared to oppress its own people and others wouldn't be prepared to use any means at its disposal to oppress both its own people and others?

Sounds like a good argument for keeping some of the nastier weapons out of its means.

And besides, if you want sanctions on Iran anyway this changes nothing at the practical level.

Finally the Western media tend to prioritise, which means we would expect the relatively less oppression of Iran to get drowned out a little compared to say war in Ukraine, do you think the media shouldn't prioritise?

In my opinion.
After posting what I did above, I have thought about this some more, and realize that sanctions should not cause the people of a country to suffer for what their leaders are doing. The leaders should suffer, or be removed from power, how I don't know how in the present world order. The terrorism that Iran inflicts outside their borders is worse than the possibility of nuclear weapons being built. Many people in Iran, I believe, wish their leaders would take care of them rather than try to extend some kind of power through terror and a nuclear weapon.

We should be concerned not just about the people of Iran, I agree. There are a lot of countries where people are suffering, including Ukraine, which is worse than the suffering in Iran at the moment. Yemen and Syria are other countries with a lot of suffering.

It would be nice if people would be concerned about the plight of people in other countries just as much as people in their own countries, but that's not going to happen anytime soon. The media reflects that because they present news that the people of their country are interested in.

Truthseeker

I'll tell ya what western media tend to not cover....
Our regular assaults upon Iran:
- The 1953 coup
- The Iran-Iraq proxy war we waged.
- Stuxnet

If we stopped treating them as the enemy, perhaps
they wouldn't feel the need for nuclear weapons to
defend against us & Israel.
Yes, we made enemies of the present leaders in Iran and their uluma predecessors. The 1953 coup we helped cause, along with others, was really bad at the time. If it wasn't for that, I don't think the 1979 revolution would have happened. It appears the people of Iran now regret the revolution of 1979.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, we made enemies of the present leaders in Iran and their uluma predecessors. The 1953 coup we helped cause, along with others, was really bad at the time. If it wasn't for that, I don't think the 1979 revolution would have happened. It appears the people of Iran now regret the revolution of 1979.
"Uluma"?

Truthseeker

No one dares unless one welcomes the end of this world, think of the extremists views.
Well, I doubt it would be that extreme of an outcome. I also believe they do have some rationality, they would look after their own interests.