• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An interesting quote

monotheism

I was looking at books i had and come across this quote,
" Some scholars see monotheism as the final stage of development in religious experience"
I was wondering if i could get your opinion on this?
Do you agree, disagree?

Smoke

Done here.
I'm not at all convinced that monotheism is any kind of advance from polytheism, but either way it seems presumptuous to say that anything in particular is the final stage in the development of anything at all.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend monotheism,

" Some scholars see monotheism as the final stage of development in religious experience"

Any *ism* is of the mind [thoughts] which has no place for THAT religious experience that you talk of.
However belatedly welcome you to RF!
Keep posting.
Best Wishes.

Love & rgds

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
Hi Anit-Religion
How does experience transcend monism? By monism I take it to mean the non-dual Absolute?

Experience or realization transcends philosophy or ontology.Water from the ocean contained in a pot can neither be called an ocean nor a non-ocean, but simply a part of ocean. Similarly, a doctrine, though arising from absolute truth can neither be called a whole truth nor a non-truth.

"Unity can only be manifested by the Binary. Unity itself and the idea of Unity are already two."----Buddha.

I'm not at all convinced that monotheism is any kind of advance from polytheism, but either way it seems presumptuous to say that anything in particular is the final stage in the development of anything at all.
Exactly .

Last edited by a moderator: