• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An annuva fing!

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
People with working class or regional accents are viewed as less intelligent | Daily Mail Online

Mostly concerning the UK and its varied accents but I'm sure it will resonate with many in other countries too.

Where we are born will undoubtedly affect how we experience the voices and accents of others, either from different parts of the country or from other countries. I was born in London, such that I mostly have developed a nondescript but usually intelligible London accent. It hasn't changed much, even though I have lived in other regions of the UK. My main fault is, as the title suggests, ire directed at what I see as lazy speech - annuva fing, bruv, no wot rmeen, ood a fort, etc. - so perhaps less about accents and more about lazy speech, group-speak, or just selective enunciation.

I no doubt got my affliction from reading too much, and the fact that my mother (Welsh influences) spoke clearly without such affectations, and hence encouraged us to do so. Plus, any friends I had during my youth were similarly inclined, to express themselves as clearly. Obviously many will be affected by parental and/or peers to form their own accents or way of speaking. I can understand this, but as the article suggests, and it hasn't seemed to have changed that much over time, people will judge others by how they speak. It might not be especially good to do so, and often it is just being judgmental without basis but surely knowing this would motivate people to have more easily understandable accents or speech patterns such that it wouldn't be a hindrance when communicating with others. I generally don't have any issues with how a person speaks as long as I can understand them or they just don't grate on my ears. Unfortunately some do.

Forts on da matta?

PS I have my favourite accents - French, Welsh, Irish, Scots, etc., and my hates, Scouse, Essex, lazy, whatever, but currently I have issues with the many from foreign countries who I find so difficult to understand when they speak English - but not knowing how long they have lived here. I'm sure I would be equally as bad living abroad.

And yes, I know it all sounds a bit snobbish. :D

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
People with working class or regional accents are viewed as less intelligent | Daily Mail Online

Mostly concerning the UK and its varied accents but I'm sure it will resonate with many in other countries too.

Where we are born will undoubtedly affect how we experience the voices and accents of others, either from different parts of the country or from other countries. I was born in London, such that I mostly have developed a nondescript but usually intelligible London accent. It hasn't changed much, even though I have lived in other regions of the UK. My main fault is, as the title suggests, ire directed at what I see as lazy speech - annuva fing, bruv, no wot rmeen, ood a fort, etc. - so perhaps less about accents and more about lazy speech, group-speak, or just selective enunciation.

I no doubt got my affliction from reading too much, and the fact that my mother (Welsh influences) spoke clearly without such affectations, and hence encouraged us to do so. Plus, any friends I had during my youth were similarly inclined, to express themselves as clearly. Obviously many will be affected by parental and/or peers to form their own accents or way of speaking. I can understand this, but as the article suggests, and it hasn't seemed to have changed that much over time, people will judge others by how they speak. It might not be especially good to do so, and often it is just being judgmental without basis but surely knowing this would motivate people to have more easily understandable accents or speech patterns such that it wouldn't be a hindrance when communicating with others. I generally don't have any issues with how a person speaks as long as I can understand them or they just don't grate on my ears. Unfortunately some do.

Forts on da matta?

PS I have my favourite accents - French, Welsh, Irish, Scots, etc., and my hates, Scouse, Essex, lazy, whatever, but currently I have issues with the many from foreign countries who I find so difficult to understand when they speak English - but not knowing how long they have lived here. I'm sure I would be equally as bad living abroad.

And yes, I know it all sounds a bit snobbish. :D

There are some accents from the UK which are hard for me to understand. I can certainly understand the BBC, but I've heard some other accents which are somewhat difficult to comprehend.

In America, I think there might be an influence from TV/radio which might have an effect on people's accents. My accent, for example, might sound similar to that of a typical TV newscaster, which some people might think of as bland and monotone. However, I've also traveled throughout America and have heard a variety of accents and pronunciations.

In terms of judging someone's intelligence, it may not be so much a matter of accent but more grammar and diction. For example, some people might look down on Southern accents, but even that's conditional. The "Southern Gentleman" accent would sound more refined and elegant than its "redneck" counterpart - even if the accents are similar to each other.

Northeastern accents are quite a bit different, but they also have their "blue collar" and "white collar" variations.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
There are some accents from the UK which are hard for me to understand. I can certainly understand the BBC, but I've heard some other accents which are somewhat difficult to comprehend.

In America, I think there might be an influence from TV/radio which might have an effect on people's accents. My accent, for example, might sound similar to that of a typical TV newscaster, which some people might think of as bland and monotone. However, I've also traveled throughout America and have heard a variety of accents and pronunciations.

In terms of judging someone's intelligence, it may not be so much a matter of accent but more grammar and diction. For example, some people might look down on Southern accents, but even that's conditional. The "Southern Gentleman" accent would sound more refined and elegant than its "redneck" counterpart - even if the accents are similar to each other.

Northeastern accents are quite a bit different, but they also have their "blue collar" and "white collar" variations.
Specific voice timbers depend on genetics and you can't change that ...or that least, not that easily...
Joy Behar has a very Italian timber ....and she uses those tonalities which are typical of Southern Italy...

As I already said...the South was not overwhelmed by Italian immigration...so those accents sound very alien to my ears....and lack of tonalities...
:)

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Specific voice timbers depend on genetics and you can't change that ...or that least, not that easily...
Joy Behar has a very Italian timber ....and she uses those tonalities which are typical of Southern Italy...

As I already said...the South was not overwhelmed by Italian immigration...so those accents sound very alien to my ears....and lack of tonalities...
:)

Really...it's like I listened to my aunt speaking in English...:p

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I lived around 30 miles from Liverpool, the Scouse accent was a mystery to me. As i am sure mine is to many english speakers.

I was in America. Switched on the hotel tv, a british favourite was just starting, "Taggert", the main character played a Glaswegian detective, the series was set in and around Glasgow. Although the accents were sanitised for national viewing (i could never understand the Gorbles* accent), in America it had subtitles.

* The Gorbles is an area of Glasgow that had something of a scary reputation, the local accent was indecipherable.
The area now has been demolished and been replaced with blocks of luxury apartments, the accent you hear now is upper class plum in the mouth speak, equality indecipherable.

When i worked i spent quite a lot of time on the phone to american clients. I had a little game with myself on guessing (to within a 100 miles or so) where the client was raised. I would steer the conversation to their childhood and found i was usually right.

The UK is the same, as is france, although i am not attuned to many of the french accents.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
...Where we are born will undoubtedly affect how we experience the voices and accents of others, either from different parts of the country or from other countries....
Most people never get very far from our native accents, but some are talented and can use accents as an advantage. They can use it to downplay/emphasize their intelligence, to sound local or to sound highly educated. Most of us as stuck with what we grow up with and will sound stupid to some and snooty to others.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I will never understand the Scottish phonology....:p

R as alveolar approximant, as rolling R...
Confusing

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I lived around 30 miles from Liverpool, the Scouse accent was a mystery to me. As i am sure mine is to many english speakers.

I was in America. Switched on the hotel tv, a british favourite was just starting, "Taggert", the main character played a Glaswegian detective, the series was set in and around Glasgow. Although the accents were sanitised for national viewing (i could never understand the Gorbles* accent), in America it had subtitles.

* The Gorbles is an area of Glasgow that had something of a scary reputation, the local accent was indecipherable.
The area now has been demolished and been replaced with blocks of luxury apartments, the accent you hear now is upper class plum in the mouth speak, equality indecipherable.

When i worked i spent quite a lot of time on the phone to american clients. I had a little game with myself on guessing (to within a 100 miles or so) where the client was raised. I would steer the conversation to their childhood and found i was usually right.

The UK is the same, as is france, although i am not attuned to many of the french accents.

I think, for me, at least all French accents will sound pleasant - not so for the English ones. And a bit surprising that so many of us English actually quite like the Welsh, Scottish, and Irish accents, when we seem to often have problems with national issues. But granted that Glaswegian is probably the most difficult to understand - and I have travelled around Scotland quite a lot.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I will never understand the Scottish phonology....:p

R as alveolar approximant, as rolling R...
Confusing
Maybe -- its because the Scotts were not conquered by England. They got involved with England when their monarch inherited the throne of England, uniting the two countries that way. People believed in the divine authority of the nobles or that never would have happened. Since this was God's will, clearly God approved of the Scottish accent at least for a time; and so it couldn't be all that bad.