• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An Account of Emerging Faith

UntemperedSchism

Newly Faithful
My views on faith and God are changing of late. Those who know me, know me as a staunch atheist; anti-theistic, in fact. I've always maintained that there is no such thing as a converted atheist; if an atheist develops religious belief he must not have had as firm a grip on his faculties as he'd thought.

I've described theistic belief as: insane, stupid, stupefying, deserving of scorn, willful intellectual neglect, the result of existential terror and, most succinctly, pathetic. I've railed against the indoctrination of children within a faith community and I've argued that any introduction of doctrine to a child in their formative years is tantamount to child abuse.

And yet, over the last year and most especially in the last eight weeks, faith, and all its attendant interests, has snuck upon me like a thief in the night. If that sounds like a negative description of what is, in general, a positively described experience, it's because, for me, it is, somewhat.

That's because, intellectually, nothing has changed for me. All of the reasons I had for non-belief and scorn a year ago are still present within me. I know that, when they read this, my friends and acquaintances will either react with disbelief (ironically) or outrage, or condescension. If I was on the other end of this scenario, and it was one of my avowed atheist friends who was expressing new found faith, I would react with some combination of those three emotions.

To be clear, this is not a full conversion to the rigid, literal and immovable faith that I've railed against in the past. In fact, I'm just as outraged as I was previously at those who would use faith as a club, to beat the world and all those on it into intellectual submission. Perhaps more so, as I'm now in the unique position of having a growing understanding of religious experience, even as I maintain full awareness and belief in all the reasons to reject that experience as absurd. It makes me more outraged that any person could take an experience so profound, ethereal and unquantifiable and use it as a justification to subjugate any person who hadn't shared it.

You pity the person who cannot stand, you don't beat them for it.

And there I go, sounding all serenely pompous. It's easy to do when you feel like you're pursuing a higher truth and I have to remind myself there that the principal verb at play is feel. I feel as though this all has merit and value, and I take it on faith. But it is a feeling only, not quantifiable fact.

But then, so is love. And I put a tremendous amount of faith in the love I feel for my family.

So.

I'm left in an untenable position. I believe when there is no good reason for me to believe, and when I have very good reasons not to. I've grown faith without abandoning reason or knowledge, and I'm searching for answers to questions that I've never lent credence to before.

One of two things could have happened to cause this.

1. God has literally filled me with the ability to believe while cursing me with everlasting shame at doing so, which strikes me as being somewhat counter-sensical when considering the prime mover that I'm coming to believe in,

or

2. People change. And when they change in certain ways, they become more hopeful. Hope, being the cause of questions that lead to faith, has always taken a back seat for me to reason and intellect. Probability has been my guide, and science my compass. And that's fine. But it is insufficient for me, now. The sun only exists because it is so large that it routinely defies the odds against hydrogen atoms bonding together at lower temperatures than are required to force hydrogen atoms to bond together.

That's not proof that the sun was designed or that the universe could have existed any other way. But it is vast, and humbling, and gives me hope that the universe is a place of order, intellect, and reason.

And hope leads to faith.

This journal is for me. It's an exploration of my emerging faith, what it means to me and how it will shape my life. At a certain point in this analysis, I expect I will simply let go and enjoy myself, but until then I'm going to do what I do: dissect, analyze and attempt to understand the things that are happening to me, that have no precedent and clash with my view of what to expect from life.

I expect things will change a bit.

I wonder what will happen next.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
Thanks for the thread. :)

May I ask (feel free to decline to answer, of course):

What was your family's religion while you were growing up?

What did you experience recently while reading the verse that brought enlightenment?

Last edited:

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
How sure are you that hope leads to faith? Does it lead to a lasting faith? Or does it lead to a feeling that serves the main function of helping manage a more immediate crisis?

Acim

Revelation all the time
I am curious if you still have any moments of spiritual doubt? And what I'm really getting at is if you feel at times theistic and at other times atheistic? Such that the terms we use to cover belief / non-belief are positions that are more or less fluid, at least for you in recent months?

UntemperedSchism

Newly Faithful
Thanks for the thread. :)

May I ask (feel free to decline to answer, of course):

What was your family's religion while you were growing up, and what is it currently?

What did you experience recently while reading the verse that brought enlightenment?

My family's faith was secular Judaism. Which basically means we were cultural jews who ate bacon and went to synagogue for High Holidays only.

The experience is hard to quantify. This is as close as I could come when I was journaling:

"The big one though, was a trip I took a month ago. I’m a political nut, and the opportunity to spend a week in Washington, DC was the equivalent, for me, of a pilgrimage to Mecca. But, while DC is the hub of geopolitical change for the western world, it is also a place steeped in history, and the capital of a nation that cannot ever stop asking the question, “What about God?" It is impossible to walk the streets of that city without feeling the crush of two competing Americas; one modern and secular, one clinging to tradition and faith.

Lying in my hotel room, a Bible in one nightstand and a Book of Mormon in the other, it was impossible for me not to contemplate by beliefs. For the first time, I opened a book of scripture not to tear it apart per my usual inclination, but to try and put myself in the shoes of the men who'd wrote it, and all the people who'd read and taken refuge in it.

The scripture itself didn't magically become any more true or any more profoundly relevant to me; choirs of angels didn't sing me to sleep and I received no inspiration confirming what I'd read as divine revelation.

But something did happen.

I'll focus more on this in a section devoted to scripture, but simply reading the words in a receptive contemplative manner opened my thoughts to God in a way that wouldn't have been possible before. And not a deistic, naturalistic and vague New Age god, but God; Architect of the universe, designer, planner and moral arbiter(though not in the traditional sense).

It took a conscious effort; I had to actively decide to leave myself open to faith, despite all of my best thought out reasons not to.

A few days later I came home and casually suggested to Melissa that we go to church that Sunday."

UntemperedSchism

Newly Faithful
doppelgänger;2587796 said:
How sure are you that hope leads to faith? Does it lead to a lasting faith? Or does it lead to a feeling that serves the main function of helping manage a more immediate crisis?

Surety level: 0

I honestly don't know, I'm writing down my thoughts on the experience as I have them.

4 months ago I was sure that God was a psychological crutch, created by savages howling in fear of the dark. So, you know....

UntemperedSchism

Newly Faithful
I am curious if you still have any moments of spiritual doubt? And what I'm really getting at is if you feel at times theistic and at other times atheistic? Such that the terms we use to cover belief / non-belief are positions that are more or less fluid, at least for you in recent months?

Too soon to tell, I guess?

The only discomfort I feel lately is a residual intellectual shame, that I doubt will ever subside, but it doesn't seem to be doing any damage to the faith I've grown in spite of it.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Surety level: 0

I honestly don't know, I'm writing down my thoughts on the experience as I have them.

4 months ago I was sure that God was a psychological crutch, created by savages howling in fear of the dark. So, you know....
There's nothing in between?

Out of curiosity, you mentioned you're a political junkie. Do you generally support one particular party or political ideology? If so, which one?

UntemperedSchism

Newly Faithful
doppelgänger;2587824 said:
There's nothing in between?

Out of curiosity, you mentioned you're a political junkie. Do you generally support one particular party or political ideology? If so, which one?

I don't think there is a middle ground; I think you're either on or off. When I was off, I was really off. Now I'm really on, with no explanation for the shift.

I'm a political moderate. On fiscal and law and order issues, I'm conservative (though by no means the Republican variety) on social issues I'm libertarian.

Markanalyst

I always felt religion should be simple guide for day to day living. Helping a person in dilemma is should be the ultimate aim of a religion. Whether GOD is invoked or not is a matter of necessity. Thats is why I am trting to create a set of codes/rules as a new religion sort of thing known as ROLCIUM. Try a search on ROLCIUM to find out its contents.

-Markanalyst.