• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amazing Grace

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

From a Snopes article:

Someone told me that that the words to "Amazing Grace" were written by the captain of a slave ship in the 1880s. He was bringing a large supply of slaves, to the US, when he suddenly became inexplicably wracked with guilt over this chosen profession, and ordered that the ship be turned back to Africa, and all the slaves freed. He then wrote the words to "Amazing Grace" to explain the epiphany which caused him to abandon his trade.​
This is the version of John Newton's story I had always heard. But I found the true story to be even more inspiring:

I went through all sorts of narrow escapes with death only a hair breath away on a number of occasions. One time I opened some crates of rum and got everybody on the crew drunk. The skipper, incensed with my actions, beat me, threw me down below, and I lived on stale bread and sour vegetables for an unendurable amount of time. He brought me above to beat me again, and I fell overboard. Because I couldn't swim, he harpooned me to get me back on the ship. And I lived with the scar in my side, big enough for me to put my fist into, until the day of my death.

On board, I was inflamed with fever. I was enraged with the humiliation. A storm broke out, and I wound up again in the hold of the ship, down among the pumps. To keep the ship afloat, I worked alone as a servant of the slaves. There, bruised and confused, bleeding, diseased, I was the epitome of the degenerate man.

I remember the words of my mother. I cried out to God, the only way I knew, calling upon His grace and mercy to deliver me, and upon His Son to save me. The only glimmer of light I would find was in a crack in the ship in the floor above me, and I looked up to it and screamed for help.

..."Newton's storm-driven adoption of Christianity didn't change him all that much; he continued to make his living from the slave trade for many years afterwards and only left the trade when his wife insisted upon their living a settled life in England. (Indeed, less than a year after his storm-driven conversion, Newton was back in Africa, brokering the purchase of newly-captured blacks and taking yet another "African wife" while there. He was hardly the poster boy for the truly penitent, at least at that point in his life.)

Newton did eventually grow into his conversion, so that by the end of his days he actually was the godly man one would expect to have penned 'Amazing Grace.'

But it was a slow process effected over the passage of decades, not something that happened with a clap of thunder and a flash of lightning. In Newton's case, the "amazing grace" he wrote of might well have referred to God's unending patience with him...."

The rest of this article is here: Urban Legends Reference Pages: Amazing Grace

-------------------

God's unending patience is the story of my life and also what the bible is all about. Many of us have dramatic conversion stories - how wonderful it would be if the work of grace was finished all at once. But for me, and for John Newton - after that dramatic moment of conversion it's been a slow process effected over the passage of decades.

One of my favorite lapel buttons said something like "please be patient with me, I'm not finished yet". As believers i think sometimes that's the kindest thing we can do for one another, just be patient and realize we are all a work in progress.

When we've been here ten thousand years...
bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise...
then when we've first begun.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
oh, and i guess i'm not really debating anything, just wanted to share. i'm of the opinion that although salvation is or can be instantaneous, the process of sanctification is life-long.

i'm open if there's anything about grace / Amazing Grace / John Newton you'd like to discuss.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
For me as well...

your sig line - wow! the Jesus Prayer has been in my life for two years now, an eastern orthodox friend led me there.

(just as an aside, he was the first person i'd ever met who like me, believed he had been 'saved' long before he ever acknowledged the Savior...)

i first read about the prayer in college (Salinger's Franny and Zooey, i think). it's become an undercurrent, a mantra for me now and it's always there behind every thought. so to see it in front of me like that was kind of strange for a second, sort of like someone reading my mind, lol.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I already knew that story. But Newton didn't write that final verse, it was added later. He wrote the other verses, of course.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
I already knew that story. But Newton didn't write that final verse, it was added later. He wrote the other verses, of course.

Thanks Christine you are right :yes:
..."these are the six stanzas that appeared, with minor spelling variations, in both the first edition in 1779 and the 1808 edition, the one nearest the date of Newton's death. It appeared under the heading Faith's Review and Expectation, along with a reference to First Chronicles, chapter 17, verses 16 and 17."​

Amazing grace! (how sweet the sound)

That sav'd a wretch like me!

I once was lost, but now am found,

Was blind, but now I see.

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,

And grace my fears reliev'd;

How precious did that grace appear,

The hour I first believ'd!

Thro' many dangers, toils and snares,

I have already come;

'Tis grace has brought me safe thus far,

And grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promis'd good to me,

His word my hope secures;

He will my shield and portion be,

As long as life endures.

Yes, when this flesh and heart shall fail,

And mortal life shall cease;

I shall possess, within the veil,

A life of joy and peace.

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,

The sun forbear to shine;

But God, who call'd me here below,

Will be forever mine.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
What an incredible story Fluffy.

Whatever brief brushes with amazing grace that have happened in my own life usually occured when I was lying at the bottom of a dark hold (or hole) myself. Which really just makes the light seem all that much brighter when it peaks through.

Of course, it only lasts for as long as it takes for my amazing ego and ingratitude to take over and take credit for the whole deal. :p

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
What an incredible story Fluffy.

Whatever brief brushes with amazing grace that have happened in my own life usually occured when I was lying at the bottom of a dark hold (or hole) myself. Which really just makes the light seem all that much brighter when it peaks through.

Of course, it only lasts for as long as it takes for my amazing ego and ingratitude to take over and take credit for the whole deal. :p

lol, how incredibly human you are then

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
lol, how incredibly human you are then

And I can never be reminded of that too often. :p

(I'm always sitting on the top of a mountain but there's always some question as to what that mountain's made of.)