• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alive, Dead, and Everything in Between

Morse

To Extinguish
Geometry is beautiful.

Imagine your life (Experiences, Actions, Thoughts, Events, etc.. along a period of time) to be a line. How many points are on a line? An infinite amount of course. So there is one thing established. There is an infinite amount of points in your life, with each point being a part of an experience, action, thought, event, etc..

This is undebatable, because everything can be divided an infinite amount of times. If you consider "Drinking a glass of water" to be X, I can divide that by 2, or 4, or 6, or 8, or 10. Anything can be divided an infinite amount of times.

How many lines intersect each point? An infinite amount. Consider each line to be the progression of not only other PEOPLE, but everything. Every conceivable and every inconceivable subject/object/verb/whatever has a line that details its progression.

As you progress along the infinite series of points by X amount of points every X amount of time, there are an infinite amount of intersections caused by other Subject/Object/Verb/Whatever. Every time you progress past point X, certain points become realized within the physical world. Points that have been passed become irrelevant because the progression of consciousness has moved past them (considered to be left to right for those who are visualizing this, just as when you detail when a line is increasing or decreasing).

Because there are an infinite amount of possibilities, there are an infinite amount of outcomes determined by the interaction of said possibilities and consciousness. Many of those possibilities result in the consciousness being killed, harmed, or severely wounded. Many of those possibilities result in the consciousness being aided, developed, or benefited in some way. Many have such little effect upon said consciousness that we do not even realize our intersection. An even greater number of possibilities go unrealized and unfulfilled.

Thus, you are dead and alive, all at the same time. At any point in your future, you could die, and at any point, you could live. This cycle continues until you actually die from the result of your interaction with said possibilities and consciousness.

I believe a similar idea is expressed in quantum physics? it is up for debate. Its one idea I enjoy, as well as the concept of reality and existence!

I'm sure I missed something in the spiel..

What are your thoughts on this little concept? Rejection, acceptance, elaboration? There are an infinite amount of responses that may or may not be generated (love the oxymoron), and it is up to you all to generate them!

If we were to say that said concept was true, in what way would we apply past outcomes to present or future possibilities. By experiencing outcome E, do we eliminate X amount of outcomes from possibility set F? Thus do we still have an infinite amount of possibilities?

Or is there an infinite amount of possibilities for each outcome? Which means that our line changes direction at every point? I wonder what our life line would look like?

And what exactly do we call an infinite amount of intersecting lines? :)

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Neither time nor space are infinitely divisible. Planck length (10^-35m) and Planck time (10^-44s), are the smallest meaningful measurements of space and time.

Mr Cheese

time like any human concept is a construct

It is merely a way of dealign with perception.

There is no such things as time.... or death or past or present

or care bears

bearnuts0.jpg

The map is not the territory

Morse

To Extinguish
Neither time nor space are infinitely divisible. Planck length (10^-35m) and Planck time (10^-44s), are the smallest meaningful measurements of space and time.

Relevance? In any case,

(10^-44s)/2

(10^-44s)/5

(10^-35m)/2

(10^-35m)/5

Are all smaller than that.

Meaningful measurements only apply to science or applied mathematics. When examining a graph, the measurements will get far smaller than (10^-35m). A vertical asymptote, for example.

time like any human concept is a construct

It is merely a way of dealign with perception.

There is no such things as time.... or death or past or present

or care bears

bearnuts0.jpg

Thanks!

Anyway, sorry I didn't respond to this thread. My internet went berserk on me this weekend and wouldn't let me online.

Regards,
Morse

MSizer

MSizer
I don't agree with anything in the OP. It is impossible to imagine your own life. The existentialists pointed that out(Kierkegaard, Nietzche, Heidegger, Satre, De Bauvoire & Camus). You can reflect on previous events in your life, or imagine potential future events, but it is impossible to visualize your life, since you can't be separated from it.

Morse

To Extinguish
I don't agree with anything in the OP. It is impossible to imagine your own life. The existentialists pointed that out(Kierkegaard, Nietzche, Heidegger, Satre, De Bauvoire & Camus). You can reflect on previous events in your life, or imagine potential future events, but it is impossible to visualize your life, since you can't be separated from it.

Either I have a bit of explaining to do or I'm bad at detecting sarcasm on Monday's.

Imagine is being used as represent. I apologize for the poor wording

I am using lines (I actually meant 'Rays' in the OP, as they would begin at the singularity) and points and planes as representations.