• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ahmadinejad escalates war of words with Obama and West

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Ahmadinejad escalates war of words with Obama and West

By News Agencies

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Saturday escalated his war of words with U.S. President Barack Obama and the West, saying that his new government would be more decisive in its policies, the official news agency IRNA reported.

"Without any doubt, in the new [presidential] term the government will have a more decisive and powerful approach toward the West," Ahmadinejad told a meeting of judiciary officials in Tehran.

Ahmadinejad made the comments one day after Obama rejected a demand from the Iranian president that he apologize for meddling in internal Iranian affairs.
Ahmadinejad, whose disputed June 12 election victory prompted widespread protests followed by a brutal state-led crackdown, again decried Obama and leaders of European countries Saturday for having "insulted" the Iranian nation with what he called interference in internal matters, IRNA reported.

Obama and European states have urged the Iranian government to solve the post-election turmoil peacefully and avoid violence in suppressing protests against alleged election fraud.

"From now on we will push you to a court of justice in every international meeting," Ahmadinejad said, without elaborating.

"This time the reply by the Iranian nation will be decisive and harsh and make you [the West] regret and be ashamed, he said in an apparent reference to Western criticism of the election.

The president said "the destiny of [former U.S. president George W.] Bush is still fresh," adding that world powers should return to their own orders, stop interfering in other states and not damage their prestige with imperialistic and arrogant rhetoric.

Obama's criticism of Iran turned Friday into an unusually personal war of words. To Ahmadinejad's demand he apologize for meddling, Obama shot back that the regime should "think carefully" about answers owed to protestors it has arrested, bludgeoned and killed.

"The violence perpetrated against them is outrageous," Obama said. "We see it and we condemn it."

The president spoke at an East Room news conference capping his third set of meetings with German Chancellor Angela Merkel, one of several European leaders who spoke out more forcefully, more quickly than Obama on the unrest in Iran that followed the disputed June 12 elections.

"We will not forget," Merkel said.

Ahmadinejad told Obama Thursday to "show your repentance" for criticizing Tehran's response.

"I don't take Mr. Ahmadinejad's statements seriously about apologies, particularly given the fact that the United States has gone out of its way not to interfere with the election process in Iran," Obama responded sternly.

"I would suggest that Mr. Ahmadinejad think carefully about the obligations he owes to his own people," he added. "And he might want to consider looking at the families of those who've been beaten or shot or detained. And, you know, that's where I think Mr. Ahmadinejad and others need to answer their questions."

It was Obama's first direct criticism of any of Iran's leaders. Even more, it was coupled with his first specific boost for Mousavi. "Mousavi has shown to have captured the imagination or the spirit of forces within Iran that were interested in opening up," Obama said.

The remark sought to clarify what many view as Obama's biggest misstep - saying last week in a television interview that there may not be much difference between Ahmadinejad and Mousavi. But it appeared to swing over to an outright endorsement of Mousavi, though White House press secretary Robert Gibbs denied it was meant that way.

Obama also said for the first time that his offer to loosen the decades-old U.S. diplomatic freeze with Iran through direct talks is now in question.

"There is no doubt that any direct dialogue or diplomacy with Iran is going to be affected by the events of the last several weeks," Obama said, without elaborating.

Gibbs said Obama was "more stating the obvious" that no talks are possible while developments are still unfolding. And Obama said that an existing system of multilateral talks with Iran over its suspected goal of building a nuclear bomb, involving nations including the U.S., Europe, China and Russia, must continue.

"The clock is ticking. Iran is developing a nuclear capacity at a fairly rapid clip," he said.

Merkel agreed there must be no letup among nations trying to stop Iran's nuclear development, which Tehran insists is aimed at providing only electric power, not weapons. She said "we have to bring Russia and China alongside," referring to the two nations most historically unwilling to get tough with Iran over the nuclear standoff.

Source: Ahmadinejad escalates war of words with Obama and West - Haaretz - Israel News

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It is entirely predictable that he would try to pin the uprising on the Great Satan and Obama in particular in order to discredit the aspirations of his own people.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It is entirely predictable ...
But there is a corollary - a subtext - that I find both intriguing and contemptible. Iran's theocratic and political leadership unleashes the most despicable array of acts against the people and wrap themselves in layer upon layer of vicious and outrageous lies - lying as naturally as the most outlandish propaganda machine. Theirs is a movement characterized by a bold contempt for truth.

We watch this and find ourselves filled with knowing contempt. The willingness to lie is obvious. The lies are obvious. Who do they think they're kidding? Who do they think so naive, so brainless, that they could be influenced by such a pathological propaganda machine? Do they really believe us to be fools?

The fact is, when it comes to Iran and its proxies in Hezbullah and Hamas, and when the target is Israel, the answer is yes, a 'tribute' to the soft antisemitic underbelly of today's liberalism. It is a predisposition that proved horrendous not too many decades ago and, despite all well meaning yet shallow denial, may do so again.

In the meantime, let's hope that the world raises its voice against the vicious and escalating campaign unfolding in Iran.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Who do they think they're kidding? Who do they think so naive, so brainless, that they could be influenced by such a pathological propaganda machine? Do they really believe us to be fools?

I don't believe you need look outside Iran to find their target audience. My hunch is their lies are directed at the people inside their own country who want -- who desire, who "thirst" -- to believe whoever is in power. The "true believers". Every country has that type of person in it. Iran cannot be an exception.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I don't believe you need look outside Iran to find their target audience. My hunch is their lies are directed at the people inside their own country who want -- who desire, who "thirst" -- to believe whoever is in power. The "true believers". Every country has that type of person in it. Iran cannot be an exception.
Its very easy for me to relate to what you're saying. that the Iranian regime does not really seek the international legitimacy through their absurd slogans as much as it is a routine of keeping passionate mobs at bay, without hope of a normal future other than sentimental appeal to the lower type of human emotions.

However, on the times that Ahmadinejad does speak on world stage. he often makes just as ridiculous slogans, such as comparing gays in Iran to criminals, or outright saying that there are no gays in Iran 'like in your country [US]', true in these international conferences he avoid screaming at the top of his lungs to the masses 'Death to Israel', or calling the US and Britain 'Satan', but the simple minded rhetoric is there.

kai

ragamuffin
the regime in Iran needs the great Satan and its allies its their life blood. who are they trying to kid? themselves, their proxy armies in Lebanon and Iraq.

At least Obama can see them for what they are

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
the regime in Iran needs the great Satan and its allies its their life blood.

I was wondering about this not long ago. Without the West and the Zionists Conspirators™ to critisize and blame, who could Ahmedinejad blame?

With all the propaganda he's spewed out since the election results in Iran, I wonder if he actually believes that they are responsible. Before I believed he was merely using them as scapegoats, but I'm starting to wonder if he's fallen for his own propaganda. Ironic how Iran claimed to be a democracy of the Middle East, yet it still effectively has one man, "the Supreme Leader" Ali Khamenei, ultimately pulling the strings. :D (It seems silly to me to have a "supreme leader" and still claim a democracy.. :D EDIT: Although maybe I'm just getting the title wrong, I don't know how much he has control over, though I know he pulls some strings somewhere, I can't remember where! (EDIT END))

It's good to see that Obama's willing to stand his ground, yet it seems as though Iran is quite happy being feisty with the West. I wonder how any country of the Great Shaitan could get better relations with Iran whilst they have this man.

Last edited: