• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Agnosticism vs. Atheism

Rex

Founder
Agnosticism
The lack of knowledge of a god or gods.
"I don't know if god exists or not."

Atheism
The lack of a belief in a god or gods. Literally without theism.

Is there a connection between the two?

Runt

Yes, but you always have to wonder if that "creator" is sentient, if it actually INTENDED to "make" the Universe or if the action of creation was simply its nature and it could not have done otherwise...

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Agnostics are the bridge between Athiests and Theists...
'fence-sitters' if you will (and I don't mean that as in insult), the ones I know figure that if there is a god it will understand that they don't go to church or whatever but they arn't going to worry about it not being there either...
They are open to both possibilites... that way they won't be surprized

wa:-do

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Ahhh -

But what about Buddhists? We aren't atheistic; there are gods in the Buddhist pantheon. We aren't MONOtheistic; there are lots of different gods. We can't really be called theistic either, since gods are not "over" humans. We don't consider any qualitative difference between sapient beings; gods and devas are unenlightened beings just like humans are, although occupying different realms.

In Buddhism the goal is to develop the individual self and to alleviate the suffering of ALL beings, whether they are gods, devas, asuras, humans, and on and on. I am not sure Buddhists can be measured by that scale.

It's better to admit you dont know rather than blindly follow something or God. My experience is to keep looking. Maybe there is or maybe there isn't. How will you know if you dont check it out.

Lightkeeper

I was thinking the other day that the atheists I have known are like fundamentalists, they are just as closed off in their beliefs and have a tendency to project everything outside of themselves.

If you are closed off and projecting, it seems to mean you haven't found it inside of yourself. I believe in staying open.

engyo: budda was a great man and if catholic would have been beatified. peagan gods are devils,demons, and evil spirits. because they lie they do it so much they are convinced it's the truth. all angels, good or bad know the future. because "peagan gods" were sought sometimes the result of a prayer was evil like a lost war; and because they don't always know the truth a fortune teller, witch, warlock, wiggen, or satan worshipper aren't always accurate. avoid evil angels and concentrate on the good ones. moslems, jews and christians worship the same God. he is truth and love and never makes a mistake like us.. he allows us to choose right from wrong which is free-will. because we reflect his free-will we a spirtual image of him. when we do wrong we reject salvation and cause others to suffer.
God only wants what is good for everybody.

lightkeeper: there are atheists who live the gospel better than some christians. God is Love and Love is God. he wouldn't condemn himself or anyone else who lives the gospel truth.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
jonjohnrob11-
Theism is also taught... while I may not argue wether children automatically believe in god, they also believe in the tooth fairy...

church doctrine must be learned just like Atheism 8)

I'm going to stay away from the attack on my 'pagan religion' right now... not appropriate for this disscusion... :mad:

ps. whats a wiggan? :lol:

wa:-do

Runt

jonjohnrob11, Christians are often wrong or inaccurate about spiritual truth too; that is why there are so many different Christian religions all claiming "Truth", and that is why Christians believe that they must pray to not give into temptation, because Christians can easily be led astray by following what they BELIEVE to be God (or an angel) but can really be Satan or a demon. Your own religion says this. So that makes a "fortune teller, witch, warlock, wiggen, or satan worshipper" no less accurate than a Christian.

I think most fortune tellers, witches, warlocks, "wiggens" (it is wiCCan, not wiGGen) and satan worshippers would resent being lumped into the same catagory like that. They are NOT synonomous.

You should learn more about these religions before you attempt to criticize them.

Alaric

jon, how about posting your responses in one post? You can see the entire thread while you're writing your reply, so there's no excuse.

pw: when a child i knew there wasn't a tooth fairy but i was infused by God to know he exists.
not all religious doctrine is taught. some is intuitive like murder. it's the subtlies that must be destinguished and passed down.

runt: the only christian church which hasn't changed it's doctrine is the Roman Catholic. they got it right the first time because of the infallibility of our leader who is the Pope. He is only infallible on faith, morals, and dogma. he is capable of sin but not in those three areas as God gifted him with infallibility in those three areas. popes have been elected to change doctrine but the Holy Spirit intervened and it wasn't changed. thank the Lord for absolute truth.