• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Agape love

Random

It's from the Greek New Testament, it means the noblest form of Love, or unconditional love. It is said to be of the mind and not the body. It's used mainly in certain translations of Acts and Corinthians, if memory serves. What is the sense Christians have of it? I can't answer here, but you don't have to be Christian to experience a sense of boundless love for ones fellow human beings, one which transcends the barriers of wantonness and desire. A Buddhist or Secular humanist could perhaps appreciate that as much as anyone else

Agape love is specifically self-sacrificial love from God. There are several different types of love described in the New Testament Greek, such as brotherly love, mother-child love, romantic love, etc. Agape love, however, is described of Christ's loving act of sacrifice of love on the cross, and it is the kind of love that we are called to have for one another as Christians, in light of Christ's love for us: "A new commandment I (Jesus) give to you, that you love (Gr. agape)one another; as I have loved (agape) you, that you also love (agape) one another." John 13:34

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
Greetings.
Godlike and FerventGodSeeker, would you say that Agape love had elements of universality and fulfillment in it such that one might say, 'Agape type of love is universal, as well as unconditional, unity with a person that aims for fulfillment of the other?' I know this form of love is acquired in mind and heart through realization of oneness with God but how does the Christian acquire it? As usual in the 'love arena' Christ is uncompromising and this high form of love would seem to be impossible for most people.

BruceDLimber

Please note that it's not limited to Christians!

ANYONE can exhibit it, and thank God, nost do!

Peace,

Bruce

A

angellous_evangellous

I don't think that there is a difference between phileo (commonly called "brotherly love") and agape (commonly called sacrificial, self-giving love). These words are used interchangably in both the Greek NT and classical Greek literature. It is the context for gift-giving in patronage and friendship - and thus the context for grace (caris =gift) in Christian friendship (= the church) and patronage (= our relationship with God, God giving God's presence and grace). The friendship and patronage contexts were both reciprocal. Although gifts were given in love, response was needed for the relationship to continue.

Random

autonomous1one1 said:
Godlike, would you say that Agape love had elements of universality and fulfillment in it such that one might say, 'Agape type of love is universal, as well as unconditional, unity with a person that aims for fulfillment of the other?' I know this form of love is acquired in mind and heart through realization of oneness with God but how does the Christian acquire it? As usual in the 'love arena' Christ is uncompromising and this high form of love would seem to be impossible for most people.

Perhaps, but sometimes impossible is nothing. The Christian comes to know agape love by treading the path exemplified in the life of Jesus, presumably. Understanding His message, it is likely that if one has the courage one will find a way to express this deepest and most profound affection for living beings in everday life. I say "presumably" because I do not think this sort of Love can be come by in view of it as an acquisition. Agape is transcendent, and yes it's about oneness, unconditionality and the fulfillment of the other, but also about giving of heart and mind as you yourself would like to recieve.

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
Godlike said:
Perhaps, but sometimes impossible is nothing. The Christian comes to know agape love by treading the path exemplified in the life of Jesus, presumably. Understanding His message, it is likely that if one has the courage one will find a way to express this deepest and most profound affection for living beings in everday life. I say "presumably" because I do not think this sort of Love can be come by in view of it as an acquisition. Agape is transcendent, and yes it's about oneness, unconditionality and the fulfillment of the other, but also about giving of heart and mind as you yourself would like to recieve.
Thanks Godlike. You always have great wisdom to offer. Do you feel that Agape is meant to apply universally to each and every being?

Random

autonomous1one1 said:
Thanks Godlike. You always have great wisdom to offer. Do you feel that Agape is meant to apply universally to each and every being?

Certainly yes, no exceptions.

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
athanasius said:
Here is a great encyclycal on Agape love and Erotic love abnd how the two match up for a Catholic christian. It is very deep so it is not light reading. It is from our Current Pope Benedict 16th. enjoy

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/encyclicals/documents/hf_ben-xvi_enc_20051225_deus-caritas-est_en.html
A great statement from the Pope, Athanasius. Thanks. Among other ideas, related to Agape I see universality, unconditionality, union with God, and oneness with all coming through.