• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Afterlife Nonsense

Faint

Fascist Christ said:
If there was a god, why an afterlife?
I have some theories:
1) It's all a video game. Maybe this god set up the universe like an elaborate, eternal version of "Super Mario Bros." When you die, you go into the earth, like Mario going down a pipe. And then, lo and behold, you're in the underground level! The object of existence is to get through each level and save the princess. So maybe heaven is just a warp zone?
2) The universe is really a god's television. This current life is one channel on god's remote. The afterlife is another channel. When you get boring, god kills you by changing the channel (to find something more interesting). But if you're a good actor, he might want to see you on another show (specifically on The Afterlife Channel).
3) God is a scientist. We're all "rats" in a complex, multi-dimensional labyrinth. This god is doing an experiment--the afterlife is just another part of this maze. Hopefully, if his research pays off, he'll be able to cure cancer.

Faint

jonny said:
Keep in mind that you don't know the people who you are talking about and were not there when it happened. :)
Jonny, no offense, but you were not there either, apparently. This side topic seems superfluous since it is based on hearsay. I could also say "somebody told me ghosts don't exist". How do I know ghost don't exist? "Somebody told me so".

linwood

Fascist Christ said:
If there was a god, why an afterlife?
That would depend on the properties of the god.
Is this god omnipresent, omnipotent?

The reasons would rely upon the needs of the god.
It`s not really debatable without knowing what this god desired.

Hypothetically maybe he was lonely, maybe it is indeed some type of reward system for believing in him with no evidence.
Maybe it`s a reward system for not believing in him with no evidence.
Maybe we`re no more than breathing action figures that he plays with and he stores his favorites in a "special place"

Who can know the mind of a god?

jonny

Faint said:
Jonny, no offense, but you were not there either, apparently. This side topic seems superfluous since it is based on hearsay. I could also say "somebody told me ghosts don't exist". How do I know ghost don't exist? "Somebody told me so".
You're right. I'll delete the off topic comments. You can do the same. That way people won't get detracted from your thoughts.

Fascist Christ

linwood said:
That would depend on the properties of the god.
Is this god omnipresent, omnipotent?
Good question. I guess it would have to be at least powerful enough to create the system.

linwood said:
The reasons would rely upon the needs of the god.
It`s not really debatable without knowing what this god desired.
So true. I prefer to assume that something powerful enough to cause this system would not suffer the needs or desires that appear to be part of the system.

linwood said:
Hypothetically maybe he was lonely, maybe it is indeed some type of reward system for believing in him with no evidence.
Maybe it`s a reward system for not believing in him with no evidence.
What good can a reward system be? That puzzles me the most, because that is what many people believe.

linwood said:
Maybe we`re no more than breathing action figures that he plays with and he stores his favorites in a "special place"

Who can know the mind of a god?
True, we cannot truly know the mind of a god. However, if we assume that it is the cause of the Universe, then by studying the Universe we can make reasonable hypotheses. It is possible that we are a god's action figures, but I have yet to see a giant finger push people over when they die. Rather, it appears that when someone dies, they simply can no longer stand. Or maybe that is god's finger. Hmmm...

Fatmop

So true. I prefer to assume that something powerful enough to cause this system would not suffer the needs or desires that appear to be part of the system.
On what basis are you assuming this?

mr.guy

crapsack
If i understand you correctly FC, do you suppose that god has no more interest in us as in any material inanimate object?

linwood

Fascist Christ said:
Then we would have to assume this god isn`t omnipresent nor omnipotent because it implies humankind arose on it`s own without the help of the god.
If the god has no need to be a part of the system then your question is turned around It`s not "Why did he/she create and afterlife?" but rather "Why did he/she create life?"
Answer that question and your OP may just fall into clarity.

What good can a reward system be? That puzzles me the most, because that is what many people believe.
I don`t know either.
I just threw it out there.
:)

True, we cannot truly know the mind of a god. However, if we assume that it is the cause of the Universe, then by studying the Universe we can make reasonable hypotheses.
I agree we can make reasonable hypothesis about "how" this god did things but I`m not sure we could ever hypothesize about "why" he/she does things on a grand scale.

I don`t think it`s a question that we can even entertain thinking we may discover a reasonable answer for.
I think it`s a good question because it leads to other questions.

Fascist Christ

linwood said:
Then we would have to assume this god isn`t omnipresent nor omnipotent because it implies humankind arose on it`s own without the help of the god.

If the god has no need to be a part of the system then your question is turned around It`s not "Why did he/she create and afterlife?" but rather "Why did he/she create life?"
Answer that question and your OP may just fall into clarity.
We do not need to bother with that question, because we already know that we are alive (most evidence points to this fact.) I will not pretend to know the answer to that question. We do not "know" that there is an afterlife because there is insufficient evidence. If there is no god, then we can be sure that the stories about heaven and hell are false or allegorical. If there was a god, then what?

linwood said:
I agree we can make reasonable hypothesis about "how" this god did things but I`m not sure we could ever hypothesize about "why" he/she does things on a grand scale.
I am not worried about the grand scale. I'd rather poke and prod at the little things and see where that takes us.

linwood said:
I don`t think it`s a question that we can even entertain thinking we may discover a reasonable answer for.
I think it`s a good question because it leads to other questions.
Allow me to ask it this way: Do you believe that there is an afterlife?

Fascist Christ

mr.guy said:
If i understand you correctly FC, do you suppose that god has no more interest in us as in any material inanimate object?
I cannot suppose that. All I can say is that I have seen no reason for intervention.

Where are all the Theists? This debate is going nowhere without someone professing belief in an afterlife.

gtrsgrls

You say that you don't believe in an afterlife.How do you explain the fact that some people experience things after their dead and before they're brought back to life?You should look on the internet for some stories.I don't know where to find any but it's worth a try.Please reply!:tsk:

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
gtrsgrls said:
You say that you don't believe in an afterlife.How do you explain the fact that some people experience things after their dead and before they're brought back to life?You should look on the internet for some stories.I don't know where to find any but it's worth a try.Please reply!:tsk:

Lots of great explanations for that, and of the scientific ones, it goes that hallucinations can occur after death, as long as there is still brain activity.

Fascist Christ

gtrsgrls said:
I am sure that the temporary cessation of brain activity can cause some interesting perceptions. We can tell some interesting stories from experiencing just the introduction of certain chemicals. Any alteration to normal brain activity has the potential for some amazing effects.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Fascist Christ said:
I am sure that the temporary cessation of brain activity can cause some interesting perceptions. We can tell some interesting stories from experiencing just the introduction of certain chemicals. Any alteration to normal brain activity has the potential for some amazing effects.

In my wilder days I took just about every hallucination known to man and I saw things that would put descriptions of heaven (and hell for that matter) to shame. The brain, with slight chemical changes (a little redirection of a neurotransmitter here and there), can produce wondrous sights.

linwood

Fascist Christ said:
Allow me to ask it this way: Do you believe that there is an afterlife?
No I don`t.
I hold a completely materialistic point of view on the subject.