• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

After the break-up

Milton Platt

So the U.K. is out of the E.U.
To those in the U.K.
List things, both good and bad that the decision to leave has produced. List specific things which can be verified by others, not nebulous thoughts about what "might" happen. A lot of us are on the outside looking in and it can get difficult to sift the facts out from the rhetoric.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
There is nothing to list yet, although officially out of the EU there is 11 months to set a deal or no deal

Essentially we are in the same boat as yesterday, no one has a idea what will happen

Milton Platt

There is nothing to list yet, although officially out of the EU there is 11 months to set a deal or no deal

Essentially we are in the same boat as yesterday, no one has a idea what will happen

I figured that was the case, but sometimes things begin to change even before the hammer falls, so I thought I'd ask.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I figured that was the case, but sometimes things begin to change even before the hammer falls, so I thought I'd ask.

Nothing significant for mr and mrs average. I guess the only real change to occur is that the UK no longer has representation in the EU parliament

Milton Platt

Nothing significant for mr and mrs average. I guess the only real change to occur is that the UK no longer has representation in the EU parliament

I know that those favoring the exit were originally pointing to a huge amount of money that would be saved by not having to give it to the E.U. A quick Google showed the number to be highly inflated, but it was real money nonetheless. I hope they earmark it for something worthwhile like healthcare, retirement funds, or education.
I'm certain that that the government here in the U.S. would toss it into the general fund and it would disappear.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I know that those favoring the exit were originally pointing to a huge amount of money that would be saved by not having to give it to the E.U. A quick Google showed the number to be highly inflated, but it was real money nonetheless. I hope they earmark it for something worthwhile like healthcare, retirement funds, or education.
I'm certain that that the government here in the U.S. would toss it into the general fund and it would disappear.

One of the brexit promises was that the money saved would go to the national health service, the day after the vote boris quipped 'only joking' so i guess the money will just disappear.

888157-bus_leave.jpg

As a side note, the estimated economic cost of brexit now exceeds all the money the UK has paid the EU in 47 years of membership.

In the 3 years of limbo it has been costing an extra £440 million per week

Heyo

Veteran Member
Even though the UK was a net payer by official numbers, the access o the open market may turn out to have been more valuable than the money they now have "saved". It depends on the deal they can negotiate. (And I think the rest Europeans will make them pay.)

Milton Platt

Even though the UK was a net payer by official numbers, the access o the open market may turn out to have been more valuable than the money they now have "saved". It depends on the deal they can negotiate. (And I think the rest Europeans will make them pay.)

They definitely shrank the size of their marketplace on the world stage. Perhaps they can become a tax advantaged location for businesses.....

Heyo

Veteran Member
They definitely shrank the size of their marketplace on the world stage. Perhaps they can become a tax advantaged location for businesses.....
1. Not demanding taxes is not a form of revenue.
2. They'd have to compete with Ireland who already proved their loyalty towards big international corporations by not collecting taxes the corporations were convicted to pay by the European court.

Milton Platt

1. Not demanding taxes is not a form of revenue.
2. They'd have to compete with Ireland who already proved their loyalty towards big international corporations by not collecting taxes the corporations were convicted to pay by the European court.

I agree with you on both points. But sometimes attracting new business to settle there can have long term rewards. It provides jobs and those folks pay takes on wages (well, they do here) and also when they spend the money for goods. It also spurs growth of ancillary businesses. But yes, you shouldn't burn down your barn to roast a pig.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The thing is, Brexit is a very long term thing. Whatever happens in the next couple of years or more is whatever happens during the adjustment period.
That's not the same as "the effects of Brexit".
Tom

Ayjaydee

So the U.K. is out of the E.U.
To those in the U.K.
List things, both good and bad that the decision to leave has produced. List specific things which can be verified by others, not nebulous thoughts about what "might" happen. A lot of us are on the outside looking in and it can get difficult to sift the facts out from the rhetoric.
Good? New energy for Scottish independence

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Too many European countries want all treaties from Maastricht to Lisbon, to be reviewed and changed if necessary.

Net contributors who are not satisfied are the Nordics...and Italy.

The entire Slavic world with Hungary are negative contributors but do want a change too.