• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

After 4 years, I'm burned out.

Dingbat

I wasn't generalizing or making any pre-conceptions.

Let me ask this;

If you go it alone, and form your own individual faith - which 'men' exactly are you seeking approval from? ..........

The suggestion of that makes no sense.

It is joining an organised religion conceived of by men (as all organized religions are), that is seeking approval of those men!

It cannot be the other way around. It just defies logic.

You are missing the point a lot of people choose faiths because it is much more acceptable within their culture. There are definitely some faiths that receive ridicule in certain cultures and others that get passive or outright approval. That kind of cultural pressure can be daunting for anyone who has come from a rather strict monoreligious or monocultural background. I think anyone pretending it is such an easy break from years of conditioning and religious instruction is full of it.

Northern Lights

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
You are missing the point a lot of people choose faiths because it is much more acceptable within their culture.

Urm, that very first line, proves I am not missing the point!

"acceptable within their culture" ........ sounds exactly the same as "seeking approval from others" to me.

Anyway, whatever, I don't see why people are grasping at semantics here. I was merely defending the OPs position, in being courageous enough to stand alone, without it being suggested that he was doing so just to seek approval from other men, when the exact opposite is true.

To those who have subscribed 100% to an organized religion, good for you, that's your choice and there's nothing wrong with it. But respect those who are courageous enough to stand alone in their faith and forego the comforts of a nice label and commonality.

Even the Buddha said that he who finds his own way is finding the right way.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Urm, that very first line, proves I am not missing the point!

"acceptable within their culture" ........ sounds exactly the same as "seeking approval from others" to me.

My point is, the person would chose a religion that is acceptable rather than chose the one they feel called to. Say Christianity is acceptable in a society and "spiritual but not religious" is fine as well. Thing is, the person is called to Hinduism. Or worse, the person is called to Islam (which is not seen in a favourably).

The person would follow Christianity or SBNR because they are scared of the reactions from society and people close to them.

It's not unique to detaching from religion, it happens when you want to follow another religion that isn't acceptable to society you're in.

That's what you were missing the point on when I quoted your post:

Organized Religion = I want to be the same as others and believe the same as they do.

Individual Faith = I will believe as per my experience. Even if that means foregoing the 'comfort' of 'group religion'