• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Afghanistan's opium babies

Bishka

Veteran Member

Attachments

• F04A7C5FD9F74947B8E99C5B401912E8.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 184

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
There is a similar practice in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Most mothers will give their children alcohol when they are too active, or when they go through any difficult phase like teething.

My friend Nadija has a daughter and she was over at my house and asked my grandmother for some vodka for the baby - and I'd never heard of it before, so I asked what happened. And my grandmother said: "How much does she take?"

And Nadija said: Fill it 3/4 with milk and the rest with vodka. And I said: My God, don't give an infant that much alcohol!

And my grandmother said, "Pfft... don't speak on what you don't understand, Mila. It took 1/2 plum brandy to knock you out when you were a child."

Bishka

Veteran Member
Djamila said:
And my grandmother said, "Pfft... don't speak on what you don't understand, Mila. It took 1/2 plum brandy to knock you out when you were a child."

Oh my!

Booko

Deviled Hen
beckysoup61 said:
The most I've gotten is a Benadrul, perhaps.

It hasn't been so long since the poor in the West gave their kids a bit of "Mother's Little Helper."

Bishka

Veteran Member
Booko said:
It hasn't been so long since the poor in the West gave their kids a bit of "Mother's Little Helper."

Teehee. Reminds of the Rolling stones or the Who.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
How is this that much different than the Ritalin generation? Qualified medical practitioners dispensed the drug like candy to control overactive children in North America for years. I fail to see the difference other than opium being a narcotic.

In both cases, drugs are given to children to modify their behavior. Am I just stupid or what?

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
YmirGF, you follow the same line of thought as I. Also, I would be interested in reading more of what you sent me via PM some time ago.

So what if opium is used? As long as the drug is not damaging the child; as long as the drug is not used to make the child addicted (withdrawl isn't fun, even for an infant), I see no problem with it. Now, this doesn't mean I condone loading infants up with drugs, it means I condone the use of drugs so long as they harm no one. If opium damages the child, then stop. But if opium causes no damage (and I'm not aware of studies showing this), then don't.