• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Affirmative Action - Yes or No?

Where do you stand on the issue of Affirmative action

• I support affirmative action

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • I oppose affirmative action

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • I am undecided

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

Me Myself

Back to my username
I worked in the steel mill when the Consent Decree opened up my department to women. It was an important victory, and its importance had little to do with the relative merit of the first woman hired.

Affirmative action is a forward looking transitional program. Whatever benefits or shortcomings are experiences by those impacted by the process, future generations will look back on schools, workplaces, and even communities that embrace diversity while eroding the stereotypes and fear previously bred by segregation.

Between diversity and competence, I prefer competence.

No, Yuan Lee does not deserve the job above John Miller because he is Chinese. If he has better qualifications, then he might deserve the job because of that, but to let him in because he is part of a minority and John is not, is discrimination towards John Miller, and all the work he put to become good towards the actual qualifications of the job.

Watchmen

Premium Member
I'm against Affirmative Action for a number of reasons.

But here, I'll address the 500 lb gorilla in the room. That some ethnic groups, for genetic reasons beyond governments's control, will be over and under represented in the different areas of society.

I believe, as unpopular as this may make me here, that many of society's racial and ethnic over and under representations in society have a basis in genetics (certainly environment is also a factor). For example, Jewish over-representation in the higher intellectual fields has a large genetic factor involved. It may sound like an ugly opinion to some people but the truth is nature is not always fair whether we like it or not.

Government's attempt to social engineer through so-called Affirmitave Action is based on faulty, but well-meaning, assumptions. It has lowered standards and it makes us question the true abilities of minorities that earn their positions on merit (in Affirmative Action fields I have actually heard others say quietly 'you know why she got that position don't you, wink, wink'). It does a disservice to those minorities that got their position on merit alone.

I think there is a taboo against even discussing this 500 lb gorilla in the room. As I'm not running for elective office and don't need public acceptance, I'm not afraid to go against the speaking taboo.

Your genetic theory was debunked decades ago.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Your genetic theory was debunked decades ago.

No. I'm sure it was claimed to be debunked decades ago. The position is held today by many top scientists. For example, I don't know if you remember the Bell Curve controversy; major scholars support what I said.

As with any controversial discussion on emotional subjects both sides will always claim debunking of the other's arguments. We have to use our own intelligence to determine what we personally believe.

One of my opinions is that, for well-meaning reasons, it's been made an indelicate taboo sunject to even openly discuss.

Shuddhasattva

Even if there is a genetic component to intelligence or success in society, the world most certainly does not work the way you seem to think it does, George. And never has.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Even if there is a genetic component to intelligence or success in society, the world most certainly does not work the way you seem to think it does, George. And never has.

I'm not clear....what way are you claiming i think the world works ???