• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice

Brinne

Hello,

I've been debating whether or not to post in here for the past few days and I saw illykitty post a thread so I figured I should probably just man up and make a thread.

A little backstory first, I've dabbled with Dharmic religions my whole life practically. Buddhism and Hinduism were the closest thing I really had to a religious upbringing per say, my mom never felt the need to push any kind of religious belief on me but she did share some things with me. When I was younger she would show me how to do various yoga poses (back when I was flexible and able to, now not so much :p) and theology wise she'd tell me stories about Hanuman from time to time. She really loves Hanuman. As I grew older she told me about mantras, exposed me to some devotional music, and told me about what she's read about Hinduism and Buddhism but that was about it. She never told me I had to follow her path (tbh I'm not sure if she even is a Hindu, I never bothered to ask her what her religion was; she was raised Christian but never really believed any of it), never took me to a religious institution of any kind, or forced me to go through any kind of rites of passages. Which I'm very grateful for; it allowed me to explore all kinds of faiths and learn new things from my research -- new worldviews.

As per tradition my mother, cousin, and grandmother eventually passed down Herman Hesse's Siddhartha, a book that receives rave reviews among my family. I loved it. I suppose it was little things like that that permeated my life at an early age that sort of drew me to Dharmic religions.

About three or four years ago I started studying Hinduism to really see if I could get a grasp on it. Alongside it I studied Buddhism and Islam. I eventually dropped my private studies in Hinduism and kind of ignored spirituality -- thinking that it was just a waste since I couldn't find the path for me. I eventually decided to revise my decision after coming back from Japan and feeling like a new person after visiting temples, shrines, and other religious areas.

So here I am, back again studying Hinduism and kind of uncertain of where to start really. I've always had a nice little altar filled with Buddhist imagery for meditation and the like and I've only recently added an image of Krishna and I feel as though my experiences thus far with him are very good! When I pray and recite a mantra I feel a sort of warm energy, images of Krishna and devotional songs to him, Radhe, and Rama all fill me with bliss. The same goes for images of Hanuman, but more a nostalgic bliss.

I was wondering if maybe you could give me advice as to what I should do? I think I'm far from considering myself a Hindu but I'd like to learn. I'm open to any suggestions -- just be gentle please :D

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I was wondering if maybe you could give me advice as to what I should do? I think I'm far from considering myself a Hindu but I'd like to learn. I'm open to any suggestions -- just be gentle please :D

1.) Is there a temple nearby? If so, I would suggest going to a service or two to get a feel on how general temple devotion goes. If you feel a draw towards it, I would suggest keep going. :)

2.) Since it's Krishna and Rama whom you feel a pull towards, I would suggest reading The Bhagavad Gita and Ramayana if you haven't already.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There's a lot of free information on-line, and there are a couple of forums like this one where you can ask questions.

As usual, though, I'll recommend you go to a Hindu temple, as that may cut to the chase, regarding the non-intellectual parts. We're more a faith of action than of the intellect.

I read Hesse too. One of the few authors I read. More than Siddhartha, but also Magister Ludi and Steppenwolf. :)

You might also enjoy some of the introductory books at Amazon.

Best wishes with your sojourn.

Maya3

It is so nice that we have new members here! Welcome!

Your upbringing sounds lovely.
Where should proceed from here? It sounds like you are doing great already, but I would read the Upanishads. They are incredible, truly. (I know I'm biased, but I love them). There are several good translations, I like Eaknath Easwaran. His Gita translation is great as well.
And keep chanting, it really does effect your energy.

Maya

Brinne

1.) Is there a temple nearby? If so, I would suggest going to a service or two to get a feel on how general temple devotion goes. If you feel a draw towards it, I would suggest keep going. :)
Surprisingly there is! Though I'm not sure what the state of affairs is at the moment, I've emailed them and apparently the head of staff resigned and went back to India. They gave me a phone number to contact but I'm not quite sure what to say when/if I call let alone who I'll be talking to.
2.) Since it's Krishna and Rama whom you feel a pull towards, I would suggest reading The Bhagavad Gita and Ramayana if you haven't already.
I'm familiar with the Bhagavad Gita but I will definitely need to read the Ramayana. Thank you :)

Brinne

There's a lot of free information on-line, and there are a couple of forums like this one where you can ask questions.

As usual, though, I'll recommend you go to a Hindu temple, as that may cut to the chase, regarding the non-intellectual parts. We're more a faith of action than of the intellect.

I read Hesse too. One of the few authors I read. More than Siddhartha, but also Magister Ludi and Steppenwolf. :)

You might also enjoy some of the introductory books at Amazon.

Best wishes with your sojourn.
Siddhartha was really a lovely book -- I'll need to read more of Hesse's stuff.

Thank you for the good wishes, I'll try to get to the temple sometime soon.

Brinne

It is so nice that we have new members here! Welcome!

Your upbringing sounds lovely.
Where should proceed from here? It sounds like you are doing great already, but I would read the Upanishads. They are incredible, truly. (I know I'm biased, but I love them). There are several good translations, I like Eaknath Easwaran. His Gita translation is great as well.
And keep chanting, it really does effect your energy.

Maya
Yes my upbringing was very nice; I like to say it was kind of like a Dharma soup with bits of Hinduism and Buddhism with a little peppering of Christianity (mainly just the stories -- Cain and Abel, Noah's Arc, ect.)

Ah I have the Upanishads coming in the mail soon. I've heard really good reviews about it from both Hindus and non-Hindus so I'm excited to read it!

Thank you for the recommendations and kinds words.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Siddhartha was really a lovely book -- I'll need to read more of Hesse's stuff.

Thank you for the good wishes, I'll try to get to the temple sometime soon.

We're vast. You have to remember that you're actually looking into 3 or more religions at once. Just as an example, I've never read the Bhagavad Gita or the Ramayana. (Not part of my sampradaya/school.) Quite often and quite naturally Hindus present information from their particular sect as if it applied to all of Hinduism. Same thing for temples. They vary widely on many things and philosophies. So 'the temple' can mean a whole lot of different things.

I'm sure that doesn't help much right now, but I have known people who were turned off by particular branches of Hinduism, but then really turned on by different ones if and when they kept learning/exploring.

Brinne

We're vast. You have to remember that you're actually looking into 3 or more religions at once. Just as an example, I've never read the Bhagavad Gita or the Ramayana. (Not part of my sampradaya/school.) Quite often and quite naturally Hindus present information from their particular sect as if it applied to all of Hinduism. Same thing for temples. They vary widely on many things and philosophies. So 'the temple' can mean a whole lot of different things.

I'm sure that doesn't help much right now, but I have known people who were turned off by particular branches of Hinduism, but then really turned on by different ones if and when they kept learning/exploring.
True, luckily I live near Philadelphia so if I find that my local temple isn't working out I can always visit some in the city. Of course it'll be farther away but that way I can experience other schools of Hinduism and find a community of people who have roughly the same beliefs as me.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Hello,

I've been debating whether or not to post in here for the past few days and I saw illykitty post a thread so I figured I should probably just man up and make a thread.

A little backstory first, I've dabbled with Dharmic religions my whole life practically. Buddhism and Hinduism were the closest thing I really had to a religious upbringing per say, my mom never felt the need to push any kind of religious belief on me but she did share some things with me. When I was younger she would show me how to do various yoga poses (back when I was flexible and able to, now not so much :p) and theology wise she'd tell me stories about Hanuman from time to time. She really loves Hanuman. As I grew older she told me about mantras, exposed me to some devotional music, and told me about what she's read about Hinduism and Buddhism but that was about it. She never told me I had to follow her path (tbh I'm not sure if she even is a Hindu, I never bothered to ask her what her religion was; she was raised Christian but never really believed any of it), never took me to a religious institution of any kind, or forced me to go through any kind of rites of passages. Which I'm very grateful for; it allowed me to explore all kinds of faiths and learn new things from my research -- new worldviews.

As per tradition my mother, cousin, and grandmother eventually passed down Herman Hesse's Siddhartha, a book that receives rave reviews among my family. I loved it. I suppose it was little things like that that permeated my life at an early age that sort of drew me to Dharmic religions.

About three or four years ago I started studying Hinduism to really see if I could get a grasp on it. Alongside it I studied Buddhism and Islam. I eventually dropped my private studies in Hinduism and kind of ignored spirituality -- thinking that it was just a waste since I couldn't find the path for me. I eventually decided to revise my decision after coming back from Japan and feeling like a new person after visiting temples, shrines, and other religious areas.

So here I am, back again studying Hinduism and kind of uncertain of where to start really. I've always had a nice little altar filled with Buddhist imagery for meditation and the like and I've only recently added an image of Krishna and I feel as though my experiences thus far with him are very good! When I pray and recite a mantra I feel a sort of warm energy, images of Krishna and devotional songs to him, Radhe, and Rama all fill me with bliss. The same goes for images of Hanuman, but more a nostalgic bliss.

Wait, wait, WAIT!

You mean to tell me that your first experience or encounter with Hinduism was that of your mother telling you stories about Hanuman!?!

... awesome ^ ∞ !!!

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
:) I wasn´t thinking of you actually, but what was your name before. Now Iäm confused too :sorry1:

Maya

Him and Jai copied me, obviously. However, the only reason I had to change my name (I was मैत्रावरुणिः, remember?) was because I really wanted an avatar. And with a screen-name that was in a different alphabet/script, it wasn't possible for me to have an avatar of my choosing (it's a glitch on RF, or something). So, I really wanted an avatar. Therefore, I changed my name. And since I was changing my name, I was like: I better have a cool replacement for something as awesome as मैत्रावरुणिः. :) It's Poeticus, now. And it isn't going to change. Ever. And I want to tour Sweden one day.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
True, luckily I live near Philadelphia so if I find that my local temple isn't working out I can always visit some in the city. Of course it'll be farther away but that way I can experience other schools of Hinduism and find a community of people who have roughly the same beliefs as me.

There are a ton within a couple of hours ... in DC, in New Joisey, in NYC, you're lucky. As far as 'finding a community' goes, that's harder. Many Hindu temples are totally non-congregational, and few people will talk to you at all, unless you volunteer for something, or are really outgoing. Hindus go to temples primarily to commune with God. The people are like grass on a lawn. Nice, but not the reason you go for a walk.

I've been going to a particular temple for 30 years, and I probably only know 10% of the people who go there. But Ganesha is always there. :)

Brinne

Wait, wait, WAIT!

You mean to tell me that your first experience or encounter with Hinduism was that of your mother telling you stories about Hanuman!?!

... awesome ^ ∞ !!!
Yes, surprisingly :D

Hanuman has a special place in my heart because of that. At a young age I was really intrigued with the idea of a monkey god.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Him and Jai copied me, obviously. However, the only reason I had to change my name (I was मैत्रावरुणिः, remember?) was because I really wanted an avatar. And with a screen-name that was in a different alphabet/script, it wasn't possible for me to have an avatar of my choosing (it's a glitch on RF, or something). So, I really wanted an avatar. Therefore, I changed my name. And since I was changing my name, I was like: I better have a cool replacement for something as awesome as मैत्रावरुणिः. :) It's Poeticus, now. And it isn't going to change. Ever. And I want to tour Sweden one day.

So did another person, but I don't know who. Just some guy who had 13 000 posts, and I'd never heard of him before, yet he posted yesterday. :confused:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I would read anything you can get your hands on, the Bhagavad Gita is first recommendation, I own a 'real' copy (real book), as I prefer to learn that way, but in the case of more reading material stuff off the net is fine as well. I wouldn't get too bogged down in complicated issues as well, unless that's your style.
I understand the Buddhist concepts quite well, but Hindic ideas can be sort of demanding, I would only watch out for ideas that conflict with each other, as there are different beliefs in the larger context of the Vedic or Hindic religions.