• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adam, Eve and the Apple

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The bible states it as so.
Such as? Would you mind indulging us with the chapter and verse reference of an example of this?

She should be considered a heroine, since she brought wisdom and consciousness of what is right and wrong. I must say that her punishment and all her kind were unjust.

I find it interesting that there's such a strong parallel between the story of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil and the story of Prometheus from Greek mythology. I also find it interesting that despite the similarities in the story, the protagonists in each are viewed in very different light - Prometheus is seen as giving a great gift to humanity and almost releasing humanity from its shackles, while Adam and Eve are seen as effectively cursing mankind through their actions - we even call the event "the Fall".

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I find it interesting that there's such a strong parallel between the story of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil and the story of Prometheus from Greek mythology. I also find it interesting that despite the similarities in the story, the protagonists in each are viewed in very different light - Prometheus is seen as giving a great gift to humanity and almost releasing humanity from its shackles, while Adam and Eve are seen as effectively cursing mankind through their actions - we even call the event "the Fall".
Well, that two entirely different cultures produced those myths might account for that. ;)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Well, that two entirely different cultures produced those myths might account for that. ;)
Yes, but the difference is still interesting:

Ancient Greece: "You gave us knowledge! Hooray! Sorry your entrails are being pulled out by birds for eternity because of it, but you did do us a great service."

Christianity: "You gave us knowledge! Boo! You should never have done it. You're the reason for all our troubles!"

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I think you're mistaken. It's a common misperception that humanity was "cursed" through the acquisition of discernment. This is a story about "why things are the way they are." Why do snakes crawl on the ground? Why do we have such a seemingly primal hatred of them? Why does childbirth hurt so much? Why do we have to work so hard just in order to survive?

There is no curse involved. If there was a "fall," it was a fall up toward Godlike status, because once the fruit was eaten, humans became "like God."

It isn't that the protagonists are viewed in a different light. It's that we've twisted the theological meaning of the story.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
There is no curse involved. If there was a "fall," it was a fall up toward Godlike status, because once the fruit was eaten, humans became "like God."

It isn't that the protagonists are viewed in a different light. It's that we've twisted the theological meaning of the story.
However, if the meaning is twisted, that twisting goes very deep and started very early.

Asimov was a great writer of fiction.
And hence a great judge of fiction as well? ;)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Why do snakes crawl on the ground?
Because it is their anatomy? And it seems to have served them quite well.

Why do we have such a seemingly primal hatred of them?
Myself, among thousands of others, LOVE snakes. I know lots of other people, that while they don't love snakes, they don't hate them either.

Why does childbirth hurt so much?
I would say it should be obvious, even without going into details.

God did curse the ground, condemned us to die, and from that point, condemned the unsaved to Hell.

dust1n

Zindīq
Why do snakes crawl on the ground?
They really don't have much option..

Why do we have such a seemingly primal hatred of them?
Because everyone has been taught the story of Adam and Eve.
I imagine pure repetation that "Devil = Snake" for our young lives would make it seem like such a primal hatred... but.. outside of that, I feel no hatred, nor threatened.

Why does childbirth hurt so much?
Tight fit.. every animal has to pull it off.

Why do we have to work so hard just in order to survive?
Because no one is giving everything away.

I thought that was the moment and birth of sin in man..

that's not very God-like.