• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Actual baby care?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, and as far as removing the infant from the room... the places I gave birth in required the infant stay in the room. Other than my oldest. After holding, snuggling with, and feeding him, I was allowed some undisturbed rest, after 18 hours of labor.

This was somewhat a problem with my second, as I was in a state of extreme exhaustion immediately after giving birth, and was struggling to walk, let alone having to care for a newborn. I wanted a nap. Didn't get one.

I chose a different hospital next time around because of that(and because they kept trying to send me home when I was in labor, telling me to wait longer). Thankfully, that labor was easier, too, so I didn't have the same struggle.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Forgive my rudeness.
But if you don’t mind explaining the differences to me.
Why does having insurance preclude you from other financial aid?
If you don’t mind my asking

It doesn't necessarily preclude you from having insurance. Its how deeply you're considered to be under the poverty level.

Someone severely under the poverty level may qualify for food assistance, energy or housing assistance, and insurance. Someone moderately under the poverty level could receive food benefits and insurance. Someone toeing around the poverty level will get insurance, if they don't have an employer providing it for them.

Its kind of like a scale, I guess. (Hope I explained it right. I'm sleepy.)

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
It doesn't necessarily preclude you from having insurance. Its how deeply you're considered to be under the poverty level.

Someone severely under the poverty level may qualify for food assistance, energy or housing assistance, and insurance. Someone moderately under the poverty level could receive food benefits and insurance. Someone toeing around the poverty level will get insurance, if they don't have an employer providing it for them.

Its kind of like a scale, I guess. (Hope I explained it right. I'm sleepy.)
Oh I see.
We have a similar scale I think. Though it’s more how much our system refunds a person for their hospital stays.(I get back 35$ for a 70$ GP bulk billed consultation, for example.)
That scale might change given the current state of inflation though

F1fan

Veteran Member
In the U.S., the average cost of a vaginal birth is $13,024, including standard predelivery and postdelivery expenses such as facility fees and doctor fees. A cesarean section (C-section) is much more expensive, costing an average of $22,646 including standard predelivery and postdelivery expenses.

Average Childbirth Costs & How to Pay With Health Insurance.
Imagine single women who can't come close to paying for this, nor have insurance, but being forced to give birth by the state. Or even families already on the bubble financially with other kids.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Imagine single women who can't come close to paying for this, nor have insurance, but being forced to give birth by the state. Or even families already on the bubble financially with other kids.
Perhaps there should be government enforced vasectomies for all men until they become married with stable jobs.
It takes two to tango, after all. Fair is fair

I wonder how many folks would actually stick to their principles once it starts affecting them, eh?
Just saying

Watchmen

Premium Member
This might be in bad taste so please forgive me
But if a kid costs that much just to birth in the US I’d have an abortion every time.
Seriously. Screw that
It doesn’t mean you pay that much. That’s the cost. Depending on insurance and government aid, you may pay much less, maybe even nothing.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Heyo

Veteran Member
I’d argue that it is.
It has many medical complications associated with it and should always be assisted by medical professionals. Nurses, doctors, midwives etc
For the sake of safety.
I agree. It's good to be prepared for medical emergencies but birth without any complications is a natural process, not a medical one. (And pregnancy is not an illness.)

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I agree. It's good to be prepared for medical emergencies but birth without any complications is a natural process, not a medical one. (And pregnancy is not an illness.)
All medical procedures are derived from nature. You think we came up with medical science on the fly?
Such a science is a direct result of natural forces and our studies of them. All illnesses are the result of nature and natural selection processes. We would have never vaccinated for polio if not for nature.
And do not forget that a phenomenon such as ectopic pregnancy is a completely natural occurrence.
Natural just means something that occurs in nature. It is a neutral definition of something.I mean death is natural, after all
As is Pain, a completely natural phenomenon. Would you then argue against Panadol/paracetamol/anaesthesia?

Childbirth is both a natural occurrence and a medical procedure. Given that the safest option is that which is done under expert medical supervision. Sorry, but by default that makes it a medical procedure.
That a pregnancy does indeed complicate the body and can result in medical complications makes pregnancy by definition an illness. Again one of those terms that is technically neutral. But illness it is, all the same

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
All medical procedures are derived from nature. You think we came up with medical science on the fly?
Such a science is a direct result of natural forces and our studies of them. All illnesses are the result of nature and natural selection processes. We would have never vaccinated for polio if not for nature.
And do not forget that a phenomenon such as ectopic pregnancy is a completely natural occurrence.
Natural just means something that occurs in nature. It is a neutral definition of something.I mean death is natural, after all
As is Pain, a completely natural phenomenon. Would you then argue against Panadol/paracetamol/anaesthesia?

Childbirth is both a natural occurrence and a medical procedure. Given that the safest option is that which is done under expert medical supervision. Sorry, but by default that makes it a medical procedure.
That a pregnancy does indeed complicate the body and can result in medical complications makes pregnancy by definition an illness. Again one of those terms that is technically neutral. But illness it is, all the same
I disagree but not enough to argue over it further. Let's agree to disagree.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
How's that since it hasn't happened in single payer countries, and not only that they tend to have lower costs?

It seems our motivations are not as pure as the other developed nations. Our profit motive, as well as political pressure, seem to taint anything good we want to do. People in the US are not community minded. We don't seem to do things just because they are helpful. They have to benefit the one who decides these things over the general public, or the ones who have the most money. I would like to at least try it to see how it would work here, at least on a small scale, however.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Perhaps there should be government enforced vasectomies for all men until they become married with stable jobs.
It takes two to tango, after all. Fair is fair

I wonder how many folks would actually stick to their principles once it starts affecting them, eh?
Just saying

Everyone hears the ED medication commercials on the radio every 5 minutes. That's obviously a priority. Ugh.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
That sounds kind of gross lol

Yep. We wanna make sure those boys are up and ready for action, but too bad for the woman if she gets impregnated in the process. My brother got a prescription for some, even though he's not married, nor does he even have a girlfriend. If we are gonna make things difficult for women, then maybe more limpness is a good thing.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Yep. We wanna make sure those boys are up and ready for action, but too bad for the woman if she gets impregnated in the process. My brother got a prescription for some, even though he's not married, nor does he even have a girlfriend. If we are gonna make things difficult for women, then maybe more limpness is a good thing.
To tell the truth I’m a little bit tired of the biological rhetoric I’ve been seeing. Not just lately but my entire life. The whole “close your legs” thing. As if pregnancy is some sort of immaculate conception deal. Perhaps men should keep it in their pants
And maybe those without a womb (functioning or otherwise) should no longer have a say in abortion whatsoever. I mean they have no real stakes in it. And if that biological absolutism bothers them, then too bad. Women have had to hear it forever. They can cry me a damned river. It’s easy for men to say such things, they don’t have to be pregnant after sex. So they can shut their mouth.
Wow okay maybe that’s a little harsh but I’m angry right now lol

I was heartened to learn that my country, dispite its differing state laws on abortion, does not ever consider allowing paternal injunctions to impede on abortion. Regardless of paternity.
Even in the strictest states. Such a phenomenon is blanket banned by our federal government it seems.