• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

according to the bible, is there actually a "hell"?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
2Pe 3:10, 2Pe 3:12, Re 20:14, Death and Hell are thrown into the lake of fire. In the new heaven and earth there is no sea, no sun, no mention of fire!
Adam Clark is not God! He only knows what is written! Then he forms his opinion.
Needless to say, but I'll say it, Adam Clark has come to the wrong conclusion.
He does greatly err.
No one stated that Adam Clarke is God, so i have no idea what that is about.
And you are correct, Adam Clarke reads what is there and forms an opinion based on what is actually said.
What is your opinion based upon?

Ronald

No one stated that Adam Clarke is God, so i have no idea what that is about.
And you are correct, Adam Clarke reads what is there and forms an opinion based on what is actually said.
What is your opinion based upon?
Torah and Hebrew Roots!! The only hell is the grave. Again the only eternal/everlasting is -- Y H V H -- His fire, his wrath, his punishment, it's final unless he gives you immortallity. No Greco-Roman immortal soul.

Shalom

McBell

Torah and Hebrew Roots!! The only hell is the grave. Again the only eternal/everlasting is -- Y H V H -- His fire, his wrath, his punishment, it's final unless he gives you immortallity. No Greco-Roman immortal soul.

Shalom
So His punishment is eternal/everlasting?

Ronald

So His punishment is eternal/everlasting?
Hell No! It is HIS! You get to be like him if you are Elected! Then you will be Eternal.
His punishment is FINAL! Not on going! That is ungodly! And that is a fact, you can put it in the bank. Greco-Roman aionios is not the word of God it is the precepts of man.

McBell

Hell No! It is HIS! You get to be like him if you are Elected! Then you will be Eternal.
His punishment is FINAL! Not on going! That is ungodly! And that is a fact, you can put it in the bank. Greco-Roman aionios is not the word of God it is the precepts of man.
Fact?
Based upon what?

and how do you explain the same word being used to express the duration of the punishment, κολασιν αιωνιον, as is used to express the duration of the state of glory: ζωην αιωνιον?

JayHawes

Yes there is a hell (Duet 32:22). THe mere motive to challenge this idea is to escape reprecussions for our actions. Whether or not you deny hell, everyone will pay for all of thier actions.

Yes there is a hell (Duet 32:22). THe mere motive to challenge this idea is to escape reprecussions for our actions. Whether or not you deny hell, everyone will pay for all of thier actions.
and so ceasing to exist doesn't count as repercussions? did you read the link in the original post?

JayHawes

Ceasing to exist is not a choice. It is merely an idea created to escape judgment. No man, no spirit, no being will cease to exist. We will all live forever, either in what we call paradise, or what we call Hades.

Ceasing to exist is not a choice. It is merely an idea created to escape judgment. No man, no spirit, no being will cease to exist. We will all live forever, either in what we call paradise, or what we call Hades.
you still havent answered whether or not youve actually read the linked article. then ill argue your false pretense.

I don't belong to the Orthodox Church, but they believe that people will stay in a state of spiritual separation from God [Hell, NOT a place] until they are purified, and their sins are cleansed. This makes perfect sense for me. There is not one of the texts that advocates for eternal hell quote that can not be given an alternative interpretation. I think the Eastern Orthodox have it right.

Ronald

Copy and paste is out of the realm of "Immortal Soul Christians". So, no they haven't read it!

Shalom