• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Academics sign Letter on global threat to Democracy

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Here is the full letter with signatures for those interested: How to Keep the Lights On in Democracies: An Open Letter of Concern by Scholars of Authoritarianism - The New Fascism Syllabus

I felt sharing the letter on RF would be one step I can amplify their message. What are your thoughts on the subject? Is Democracy in crisis? Is it facing a full-scale collapse? Or will democratic ideals and institutions come back stronger, renewed and revived in the future?

Democracy requires a certain degree of give-and-take and a willingness to compromise, both of which seem absent these days.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
The very fact that the people one accuses are also the ones just as guilty, if not worse, of being themselves threats for a free nation of free people.

Its why I think they need to take a long hard look at themselves. That's the first step.

The actual people who signed it? Or are you generalising?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Well signing is a form of representation, so I would take it they are attempting to speak on behalf of all their peers.

If I sign a letter, it's purely indicative of my authorship. Having read the linked letter, that's how I would read this.
An open letter with shared authorship of the signatories. Nothing more.