• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abrahamic only: Why do you feel free will is denied by some people?

Christian Pilgrim

Emiliano hit the nail on the head. Do deny free will is to absolve yourself on any responsibility for your actions here on earth. That is what sin is about. Is being held accountable for your actions here on earth. Simply put they are trying to build their own Tower of Babel.

To deny free will is to deny Gods law. I am living proof of free will, because once I was a "bad" person, but I changed and live a whole new life now. Granted I still may not pass judgment from God, but I still love Him regardless so therefore everyday I try to follow His word close as I can.

Faith is knowing God loves you and that you trust God. My faith is strong but I also know He will condemn me to hell if I slip up too much. So using believing in faith + no free will = damnation for sure

The Scriptures clearly teaches man's responsibility and man's inability. It is impossible for those in the flesh to please God (Rom 8). There is great tension in this area, but a person must be born from above to please God (John 3). Yet, God chooses certain sinners to be born from above (Ephesians 1, Rom 9). Predestination in the Scripture is written within the context of the eternal predestination of individuals in regards to salvation (Rom 8). It is by the grace of God alone that some sinners are able to repent and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ. Yet we are all commanded to repent and believe as a universal command and are held accountable to obey this command. It's no different than the 10 commandments. God is the Creator who determines moral law. He commands His creatures to live by His law, yet we are unable to keep the law required by God. Therefore, we have man's responsibility and man's inability to keep the law because our will is not free. Rather our will is in bondage to our sin nature. At conversion (spiritual birth), our will that was enslaved to sin becomes a will inclined by righteousness. It is not free in a sense, because it is influenced by the Spirit of God. In Romans 6, our new will is described as being bondservant of Christ, or slaves to righteousness. The love of Christs compels us to do the things commanded by God in way that is now pleasing to Him. The will is never neutral or free. Rather it is inclined by the sin nature, or the new nature (Spirit controlled and influenced). I believe your last statement in your post that I highlighted in red is not a true statement, and goes contrary to the truth of the gospel. It is a statement of salvation by personal obedience, or a merit based salvation. Please study the book of Galatians because it appears you are making the same error that the Apostle Paul was addressing to the Galatians.

Romans 8
Life in the Spirit

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him. But if Christ is in you, although the body is dead because of sin, the Spirit is life because of righteousness. If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.

Heirs with Christ

So then, brothers, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!” The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.

Future Glory

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.

Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.

God's Everlasting Love

What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us.Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written,

“For your sake we are being killed all the day long;
we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.”

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Last edited:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Classic ... :banghead3

Jayhawker - not sure whether or not you have kids. But if you do, maybe you can get your head around this:

When we tell a little child not to touch a hot stove, or run out in the street, it's IMPERATIVE that they obey this, or they are probably going to get hurt.

It is NOT imperative that they understand HOW the heat gets to the burner, or HOW fire was discovered, or HOW a vehicle is capable of mowing them down, or how cars were invented, or why we have traffic laws, or why a person may not be able to see them if they dart into oncoming traffic.

In fact, if they wait to obey us UNTIL they understand how all the laws of physics work, then they are probably going to get hurt over and over again.

Meanwhile, their disobedience will have unpleasant consequences in their life. We are the parent, they are the child. In order to protect them, we must teach them the concept of submission to our will, and obedience. We must DEMAND it. Their disobedience must have CONSEQUENCES.

Christian Pilgrim

Jayhawker - not sure whether or not you have kids. But if you do, maybe you can get your head around this:

When we tell a little child not to touch a hot stove, or run out in the street, it's IMPERATIVE that they obey this, or they are probably going to get hurt.

It is NOT imperative that they understand HOW the heat gets to the burner, or HOW fire was discovered, or HOW a vehicle is capable of mowing them down, or how cars were invented, or why we have traffic laws, or why a person may not be able to see them if they dart into oncoming traffic.

In fact, if they wait to obey us UNTIL they understand how all the laws of physics work, then they are probably going to get hurt over and over again.

Meanwhile, their disobedience will have unpleasant consequences in their life. We are the parent, they are the child. In order to protect them, we must teach them the concept of submission to our will, and obedience. We must DEMAND it. Their disobedience must have CONSEQUENCES.

The consequences of disobedience required a payment. That payment was paid in full on behalf of those who repent and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ. Who is able to repent and believe but those God has chosen to believe. Faith and repentance are granted by God to His elect, according to the Scriptures. Predestination is God's truth to humble us and to enable us to give Him all the glory for rescusing sinners like me and you for the consequences of our disobedience. Christ died for the ungodly to bring us to God.

Romans 5

Peace with God Through Faith

5:1 Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we[1] have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Through him we have also obtained access by faith[2] into this grace in which we stand, and we[3] rejoice[4] in hope of the glory of God. 3 More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, 4 and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, 5 and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

6 For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. 7 For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die— 8 but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. 9 Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God. 10 For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life. 11 More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.

Last edited:

emiliano

Any serious reading of the (Abrahamic) Torah would suggest that free will is, at best, conditional and episodically denied without the knowledge of the person so denied.

That isn't what scripture says:
Deu 11:26
"Behold, I set before you today a blessing and a curse:
Deu 11:27
the blessing, if you obey the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you today;
Deu 11:28
and the curse, if you do not obey the commandments of the LORD your God, but turn aside from the way which I command you today, to go after other gods which you have not known.

God chose the Israelites as His people, and is clear that they could choose not to obey God and go after other gods which they have not known, as God’s chosen God call them to obedience to the Law but they disobeyed God several times and were punished for it.
Jer 35:15
I have also sent to you all My servants the prophets, rising up early and sending [them], saying, 'Turn now everyone from his evil way, amend your doings, and do not go after other gods to serve them; then you will dwell in the land which I have given you and your fathers.' But you have not inclined your ear, nor obeyed Me.
There has never been episodes in which God has not call His people to 'Turn now everyone from his evil way, amend your doings, and do not go after other gods to serve them” and claming ignorancewon’t hold water.
Eze 18:30
"Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways," says the Lord GOD. "Repent, and turn from all your transgressions, so that iniquity will not be your ruin.
Mat 4:17
From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
That's nice but not particularly relevant to the topic. My question is: if you do not obey, how do you (or anyone else) know that you disobeyed of your own free will?
Jayhawker - not sure whether or not you have kids. But if you do, maybe you can get your head around this: ...
Maybe you can first "get your head around" my question long enough to answer it. If you do not understand the question I'll be more than happy to restate it.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
That's nice but not particularly relevant to the topic. My question is: if you do not obey, how do you (or anyone else) know that you disobeyed of your own free will?

You cannot disobey your own free will, without an outside influence forcing you to. Someone might put a gun to your head and force you to disobey your free will, but if that is the case it is not held against you.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
You cannot disobey your own free will, without an outside influence forcing you to. Someone might put a gun to your head and force you to disobey your free will, but if that is the case it is not held against you.
Thanks for sharing. What does that have to do with the question asked?

Enoch07

Premium Member
Because you asked would you know if you disobeyed your free will. The reason you would know if you disobeyed your free will is if someone forced you to disobey it.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Coming from a non-Christian. Uhmmm yeah whatever. Trust me I know what the Bible says. You deny the fact because free will scares the crap out of you. Not like you should be here anyways this is a Abrahamic only discussion. Read the title.

Enoch07

Premium Member
God can intercede on peoples free will if he chooses. This is a rare occurrence. But 99.99% do not have their free will impeded.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Because I read the Bible. If you wanna believe there is no such thing as free will I encourage you to continue believing that. But fact is God gave us free will the Bible tells shows us this many times over.

Enoch07

Premium Member
If you read the Bible you would know everyone has free will. But God can impede on it if He wishes. Since you obviously have not, you have no clue what I am talking about.

Christian Pilgrim

God can intercede on peoples free will if he chooses. This is a rare occurrence. But 99.99% do not have their free will impeded.

LOL, the sovereignity of God is found throughout the Scriptures at least 125% of the time. Please meditate on this one verse for the rest of the day.

Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit”— yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.” - James

Last edited:

Enoch07

Premium Member
LOL, the sovereignity of God is found throughout the Scriptures at least 125% of the time. Please meditate on this one verse for the rest of the day.

Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit”— yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.” - James

Yes but God allows for free will. It is the whole point of life. Without free will there is no reason for us to exist here on earth. That is a fact.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Just to drive my point on home. What is the first lesson the Bible teaches us? Genesis 3. The story of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden is the best example of free will. God created Adam and Eve, He established rules for living in Eden. God of course knew Adam and Eve would give in and falter. But He gave them the choice, let them live and make that choice, then punished them after they made the choice by kicking them out of Eden. The same is true for everyone. It would be unfair if God punished you for your mistakes before you even make them. So instead He gives you life, lets you make your own decisions, then after you die, you are responsible for those decisions. Luckily with Jesus, we are able to repent and wash away those sins as if they never happened. If there was no free will He would skip all the bull and just flat out punish you before hand.