• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abrahamic Faiths?

ProudMuslim

Greetings to All,

I have recently been interested to know more about Sikhism. I have always been interested in theology but am not educated enough about Sikhism. I have tried to find some info on the net but i couldn't get what i am looking for.

I have number of questions which are listed below:

• Do you believe Sikhism is a successor of the other Abrahamic faiths? I know it is listed as Dharmic religion but the more i read about it, its monotheism and teachings seem very similar to the Abrahamic faiths.
  • Do you believe Guru Nanak and the following 9 Gurus were also prophets/messengers of God?
  • Do you believe in Heaven/Hell and afterlife?
  • Do you believe your Holy Book was inspired by God, in other words is it Divine?
  • Do you have Sikhism Law on marriage, divorce, birth, death, inheritance, etc? If yes what is called and do you have a link to know more about it.
  • I know about the 5 K's, are they symbolic or they must be practiced. In other words, do you have to carry a dagger and wear a comb or can you just have perhaps a symbolic dagger/comb pedals around your neck or finger?
I hope you will be able to answer my questions. Thank you in advance :)

GURSIKH

chardi kla
ASLAAM U LAIKUM PROUD MUSLIM ,

firstly its great to know about your interest in theology in particularly SIKHISM , and sorry for delay in reply .

i will try to answer your question with my little understanding ,

1 Do you believe Sikhism is a successor of the other Abrahamic faiths? I know it is listed as Dharmic religion but the more i read about it, its monotheism and teachings seem very similar to the Abrahamic faiths.

Sikhism is a monotheist way of life , but it differ from ABRAHMIC philosphy .

acc to Sikhi CREATOR IS NO DIFFERENT from its creation but in Abrahmic faiths
creator is in a HEAVEN ,

[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1]Mėhlā 5.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Fifth Mehl:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Farīḏā kẖālak kẖalak mėh kẖalak vasai rab māhi.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Fareed, the Creator is in the Creation, and the Creation abides in God.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Manḏā kis no ākẖī▫ai jāʼn ṯis bin ko▫ī nāhi. ||75||[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Whom can we call bad? There is none without Him. ||75||[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

IN abrahmic faiths after physical death of the body , we will be able to experience / saw GOD .

but in Sikhi this present moment is everything and who is not living this moment wanders insanely

[SIZE=+1]Mėhlā 3.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Third Mehl:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Gẖar hī mėh amriṯ bẖarpūr hai manmukẖā sāḏ na pā▫i▫ā.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]The home within is filled with Ambrosial Nectar, but the self-willed manmukh does not get to taste it.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Ji▫o kasṯūrī mirag na jāṇai bẖarmaḏā bẖaram bẖulā▫i▫ā.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]He is like the deer, who does not recognize its own musk-scent; it wanders around, deluded by doubt.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Amriṯ ṯaj bikẖ sangrahai karṯai āp kẖu▫ā▫i▫ā.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]The manmukh forsakes the Ambrosial Nectar, and instead gathers poison; the Creator Himself has fooled him.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Gurmukẖ virle sojẖī pa▫ī ṯinā anḏar barahm ḏikẖā▫i▫ā.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]How rare are the Gurmukhs, who obtain this understanding; they behold the Lord God within themselves.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Ŧan man sīṯal ho▫i▫ā rasnā har sāḏ ā▫i▫ā.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Their minds and bodies are cooled and soothed, and their tongues enjoy the sublime taste of the Lord.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Sabḏe hī nā▫o ūpjai sabḏe mel milā▫i▫ā.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Through the Word of the Shabad, the Name wells up; through the Shabad, we are united in the Lord's Union.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Bin sabḏai sabẖ jag ba▫urānā birthā janam gavā▫i▫ā.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Without the Shabad, the whole world is insane, and it loses its life in vain.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Amriṯ eko sabaḏ hai Nānak gurmukẖ pā▫i▫ā. ||2||[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]The Shabad alone is Ambrosial Nectar; O Nanak, the Gurmukhs obtain it. ||2||[/SIZE]

2Do you believe Guru Nanak and the following 9 Gurus were also prophets/messengers of God?

my signature says it all, the following lines are also from our Holy text GURU GRANTH SAHIB JI

ਸਮੁੰਦੁ ਵਿਰਲਿ ਸਰੀਰ ਹਮ ਦੇਖਿਆ ਇਕ ਵਸਤੁ ਅਨੂਪ ਦਿਖਾਈ ॥
Churning the ocean of the body, I have seen the incomparable thing come into view.

ਗੁਰ ਗੋਵਿੰਦੁ ਗਵਿੰਦੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਹੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਭੇਦੁ ਨ ਭਾਈ ॥
The Guru is God, and God is the Guru, O Nanak; there is no difference between the two, O Siblings of Destiny:

3Do you believe in Heaven/Hell and afterlife?

Regarding after life Sikh belevive that our aim of life is to became one with lord and one true Sikh reaches the stage where one says " I AM YOU ", regarding heaven /hell GURU says
Kavan narak ki▫ā surag bicẖārā sanṯan ḏo▫ū rāḏe.
[SIZE=+1]What is hell, and what is heaven? The Saints reject them both.[/SIZE]

Ham kāhū kī kāṇ na kadẖ▫ṯe apne gur parsāḏe. ||5||
[SIZE=+1]I have no obligation to either of them, by the Grace of my Guru. ||5||[/SIZE]

Now, I have mounted to the throne of the Lord; I have met the Lord, the Sustainer of the World.

Rām kabīrā ek bẖa▫e hai ko▫e na sakai pacẖẖānī. ||6||3||
[SIZE=+1]The Lord and Kabeer have become one. No one can tell them apart. ||6||3||[/SIZE]

I will answer your rest questions also , plz forgive me i am too busy ,i will answer tomorrow , feel free to ask anything about SIKHI .

THANX

GURSIKH

chardi kla
4 Do you believe your Holy Book was inspired by God, in other words is it Divine?

yes i beleive SIKH Holy TEXT GURU GRANTH SAHIB IS DIVINE , because GURU NANAK written that thsese are words of my LORD .

PAGE 39 Sri Granth: Sri Guru Granth Sahib

[SIZE=+1]ਜਿਉ ਬੋਲਾਏ ਤਿਉ ਬੋਲੀਐ ਜਾ ਆਪਿ ਬੁਲਾਏ ਸੋਇ ॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]I speak just as He makes me speak, when He Himself makes me speak.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਬਾਣੀ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਹੈ ਸਬਦਿ ਮਿਲਾਵਾ ਹੋਇ ॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]The Word of the Gurmukh is God Himself. Through the Shabad, we merge in Him.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਮਾਲਿ ਤੂ ਜਿਤੁ ਸੇਵਿਐ ਸੁਖੁ ਹੋਇ ॥੪॥੩੦॥੬੩॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]O Nanak, remember the Naam; serving Him, peace is obtained. ||4||30||63||[/SIZE]

page 74 Sri Granth: Sri Guru Granth Sahib

ਬੋਲਾਇਆ ਬੋਲੀ ਖਸਮ ਦਾ ॥
[SIZE=+1]I speak as my Lord and Master causes me to speak.[/SIZE]

page 292

Ji▫o bulāvhu ṯi▫o Nānak ḏās bolai. ||8||21||
[SIZE=+1]As You inspire him to speak, O Lord, so does servant Nanak speak. ||8||21||[/SIZE]

Last edited:

ProudMuslim

Thank you for your reply GurSikh :)

I want to read them carefully and i hope you will be able help me again should i have further questions.

Love4All

Worldwide Movement
I want to ask about the chola of Baba Guru Nanak Sahab.

Have you seen it?? Is it true that Quranic verses are written on it??

Cheers..

GURSIKH

chardi kla
I want to ask about the chola of Baba Guru Nanak Sahab.

Have you seen it?? Is it true that Quranic verses are written on it??

Cheers..

hi love !

DEAR its more important for Sikhs what GURU SAHIB SAYS ,then what is written on chola ,after Guru Sahib by someone else ;).

kindly note that this is not a debate section , if you want to discuss this matter or anything else plz go to discussion section and post there ,Sikhs will be happy to let you know everything
.you can check the rules Discuss Individual Religions
The following forums have religions listed within them. These forums are for learning and fellowship and NO DEBATING!.

cheers .... blessings

GURSIKH

chardi kla
Originally Posted by GURSIKH
but in Sikhi this present moment is everything and who is not living this moment wanders insanely
What a wonderful and powerful statement. Glad I saw it.

a lovely quote from gurbani related to above

ਅਜੁ ਨ ਸੁਤੀ ਕੰਤ ਸਿਉ ਅੰਗੁ ਮੁੜੇ ਮੁੜਿ ਜਾਇ ॥
अजु न सुती कंत सिउ अंगु मुड़े मुड़ि जाइ ॥
Aj na suṯī kanṯ si▫o ang muṛe muṛ jā▫e.
I slept not with my spouse this night and every part of my body is pining in pain.

ਜਾਇ ਪੁਛਹੁ ਡੋਹਾਗਣੀ ਤੁਮ ਕਿਉ ਰੈਣਿ ਵਿਹਾਇ ॥੩੦॥
जाइ पुछहु डोहागणी तुम किउ रैणि विहाइ ॥३०॥
Jā▫e pucẖẖahu dohāgaṇī ṯum ki▫o raiṇ vihā▫e. ||30||
lets Go and ask the deserted one , as to how does she passes her night ?.