• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abrahamic Faiths - Common Faith

Hello, I've recently started learning about the Abrahamic Faiths i.e Judaism, Christianity, Islam. In my faith, it is an article of faith to believe that sacred books like Gospel and Torah came from the very same God. I believe that even in the Jewish literature, they do have such things like a common faith.

There are certainly many similarities between each scriptures and it amazes me to learn about this nature and it made me want to learn more about religions. So for now, I hope I could get some responses from my Jewish and Christian brothers and sisters regarding this issue:

Deuteronomy 6:4:
"Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord"

Mark 12:29:
"Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord."

Surah Al-Baqarah 2:163:
"And your god is one God. There is no deity [worthy of worship] except Him, the Entirely Merciful, the Especially Merciful."

My question to my brothers and sisters, what is the difference between the statements of Moses and Jesus regarding their commandment? Why did Jesus repeated what Moses has said earlier? In your opinion, why do you think Jesus didn't just simply come up with statement like "The Lord our God is Me"? Who did Moses worshipped?

May God guide us all to the straight path.

Last edited:

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
Hello, I've recently started learning about the Abrahamic Faiths i.e Judaism, Christianity, Islam. In my faith, it is an article of faith to believe that sacred books like Gospel and Torah came from the very same God. I believe that even if the Jewish literature, they do have such things like a common faith.

There are certainly many similarities between each scriptures and it amazes me to learn about this nature and it made me want to learn more about religions. So for now, I hope I could get some responses from my Jewish and Christian brothers and sisters regarding this issue:

"And your god is one God. There is no deity [worthy of worship] except Him, the Entirely Merciful, the Especially Merciful."

My question to my brothers and sisters, what is the difference between the statement of Moses and Jeus regarding their commandment? Why did Jesus repeated what Moses has said earlier? In your opinion, why do you think Jesus didn't just simply come up with statement like "The Lord our God is Me"? Who did Moses worshipped?

Welcome! :)
Thoughtful post.
Why did Jesus not say he is God? Because he had to empty himself and be obedient unto death. So in that sense, and because he was in the flesh body (as we all are) then he was not God as we might think of God, as God is not man but rather Spirit. That is a short answer to get you going.

Shame we can't all get along worldwide as you do in your comments.

Deidre

I've come to view Jesus as Divine, but He was specific in that He wasn't on the same 'level' so to speak as God, the Father. I lean towards viewing 'one God' as a triune God. (the trinity)

Welcome to the forums, by the way :)

Laika

Premium Member
I'm an Atheist, so I would view Jesus as an extra-ordiary human being rather than anything more than that. that's more of a guess than an informed opinion to be honest.

I believe his divine status was added later in the history of Christianity and was related to the power of the Church. There were people who viewed the relationship with god as an inner experience (possibly Gnostic Christians?) which everyone could feel, and that didn't sit very well with the authority of the early Christian Church. so by making Jesus divine rather than a man, the church became the one who could give the "correct" interpretation of his words and works.

It's great to have intelligent posters on here who give us pause for thought and it is remarkable how open a place like this can be to new ideas. I hope you will be with us for a long time and will find your time here as rewarding as it has been for me. Welcome to RF. :)

Beautiful responses! I've been trying to get some answers regarding this matter previously and I usually get insults rather than proper comments in return. And even some Muslims in my country would say that it is forbidden to read the Gospel and Torah, little they know that these were God's scriptures. Your responses made me realise what I've been missing so far. Thank you guys :)

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
My question to my brothers and sisters, what is the difference between the statement of Moses and Jeus regarding their commandment? Why did Jesus repeated what Moses has said earlier? In your opinion, why do you think Jesus didn't just simply come up with statement like "The Lord our God is Me"? Who did Moses worshipped?
I respect your question, but I would be an idiot to think I could answer this on behalf of every Christian. Most people do not have the training to understand arguments about Jesus and whether he looks like God or is God or has God's properties. There is a lot of uneducated arguing about these things, and there are many people who claim to be true representatives of Christianity but who have very little training. There are two important things that almost all Christians agree about, however: 1. Omnipresence 2. Indescribeability

First is omnipresence. In Christianity there are many branches, but most Christians believe that God is everywhere. The term used to describe this property is 'Omnipresence' which is Latin that has been borrowed and used in English. In 99.9% of all of Christianity, God is omnipresent, not in one specific place. Only extremely rare people think otherwise, and its also rare to think God has a body at all.

Secondly, no one can describe God. This is also believed by (I think) 99.9% of all Christians of all varieties. In that 99.9% I include almost everyone, both Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant, and also all of those who have very extremely different ideas about Jesus such as LDS, JW, and so forth.

1. Omnipresent 2. Cannot be described or 'Indescribeable' or you could say "God has the property of indescribability."

These two properties follow from the Jewish roots of Christianity and have remained in use. Almost nobody denies God's omnipresence or in-describ-ability. Because of these 2 properties only partial representations of God are possible. How can anyone describe something that is indescribeable? Many people disagree about how to describe Jesus, and many people also disagree about how to explain related things such as who Jesus is. Most will agree he is more describable than God -- probably a high percentage agree on that. When you encounter Christians from various backgrounds you will find that they have very different ideas about Jesus actual nature, but they will almost always agree about #1 and #2.

Secondly, no one can describe God. This is also believed by (I think) 99.9% of all Christians of all varieties. In that 99.9% I include almost everyone, both Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant, and also all of those who have very extremely different ideas about Jesus such as LDS, JW, and so forth.
googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display('div-gpt-ad-1445476332304-1'); });

I'm an advocate of unity I do believe that through our scriptures, we should seek and embrace the similarities. Like yourself, I believe that no one can describe God in a sense that there is nothing like Him on this earth.

Surah Al-Ikhlas 112:1-4:

[1] Say: He is God, the One and Only;

[2] God, the Eternal, Absolute;

[3] He neither begets nor is born,

[4] And there is none like unto Him

arthra

Baha'i

In my view God was manifested in Jesus and Moses as well as in Muhammad... At the time when Jesus lived the closest you could come to God would be to hear the Word and teachings from Jesus... Many spiritual teachings would be the same as those brought by Moses because God was manifest through them. Some of the people at the time of Jesus may not have understood His relationship to God and believed He "was" God.

In my view God was manifested in Jesus and Moses as well as in Muhammad... At the time when Jesus lived the closest you could come to God would be to hear the Word and teachings from Jesus... Many spiritual teachings would be the same as those brought by Moses because God was manifest through them. Some of the people at the time of Jesus may not have understood His relationship to God and believed He "was" God

This is exactly the teachings of Islam in which God sent Prophets like Moses, Jesus and Muhammad to guide the people :)

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
What about all the Hate and Violence in all three of these faith-based religions? Are there commonalities there also?

What about all the Hate and Violence in all three of these faith-based religions? Are there commonalities there also?

Like I said, I've just started learning about these religions. Any faiths would have 'hate and violence' and that depends on the depths of knowledge that you have of them. Your interpretation of 'Hate and Violence' will definitely differ from someone else. Hitler killed 6 million Jews and at the belt of each Nazi soldier has the statement "Got Mitt Uns" (God on Our Side). So should we blame Christianity on that? Of course not, we should never blame a religion just because someone or some groups are doing something that they think would be beneficial for the religion.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
First is omnipresence. In Christianity there are many branches, but most Christians believe that God is everywhere. The term used to describe this property is 'Omnipresence' which is Latin that has been borrowed and used in English. In 99.9% of all of Christianity, God is omnipresent, not in one specific place.
And yet the Bible consistently says He's "in Heaven." Mormons believe He is physically right where the Bible says He is, but that His power is everywhere.

I believe that Christians themselves have made God more of a mystery than He ever wanted to be. Of course, we as mortals are able to fully comprehend Him, but Mormons believe He is an exalted being with a form like that of a man. That is not to say that we see Him as a mortal being, because we don't. We see Him as a perfect, immortal, celestial being in whose image we were created.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Like I said, I've just started learning about these religions. Any faiths would have 'hate and violence' and that depends on the depths of knowledge that you have of them. Your interpretation of 'Hate and Violence' will definitely differ from someone else. Hitler killed 6 million Jews and at the belt of each Nazi soldier has the statement "Got Mitt Uns" (God on Our Side). So should we blame Christianity on that? Of course not, we should never blame a religion just because someone or some groups are doing something that they think would be beneficial for the religion.
True . . . I blame God :rolleyes:

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
And yet the Bible consistently says He's "in Heaven." Mormons believe He is physically right where the Bible says He is, but that His power is everywhere.
Sorry to misrepresent you. One could ask "What is his power if not an extension of himself?"
I believe that Christians themselves have made God more of a mystery than He ever wanted to be. Of course, we as mortals are able to fully comprehend Him, but Mormons believe He is an exalted being with a form like that of a man. That is not to say that we see Him as a mortal being, because we don't. We see Him as a perfect, immortal, celestial being in whose image we were created.
That brings my number down to about 89%.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Sorry to misrepresent you.
No problem. I'm sure it wasn't intentional.
One could ask "What is his power if not an extension of himself?"
One could indeed ask that, but what would one be getting at? If we're talking about omnipresence, we might want to make a distinction between functional omnipresence and ontological omnipresence.
That brings my number down to about 89%.
Actually, it only brings it down to something like 99.2%.

Last edited:

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Hello, I've recently started learning about the Abrahamic Faiths i.e Judaism, Christianity, Islam. In my faith, it is an article of faith to believe that sacred books like Gospel and Torah came from the very same God. I believe that even in the Jewish literature, they do have such things like a common faith.

My question to my brothers and sisters, what is the difference between the statements of Moses and Jesus regarding their commandment? Why did Jesus repeated what Moses has said earlier? In your opinion, why do you think Jesus didn't just simply come up with statement like "The Lord our God is Me"? Who did Moses worshipped?

Because Jesus was not God, he was an incarnation of God, and there is a difference. God is one and is omnipresent, so there is no place for a second apart from lessor beings of the celestial hierarchy who some may worship as God, who, like all else in existence, live, move, and have their being in the one God.

So what is an incarnation of God, it is a being who has emptied themselves of all sense of self separation from their Divine source, and is united with God, the Father of all existence, and they become as one. The Father and I are one spake Jesus... The idea of the one omnipresent God claiming through his incarnation that the discrete being Jesus was itself omnipresent is impossible, for the concept of discrete omnipresence is an oxymoron....

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
One could indeed ask that, but what would one be getting at? If we're talking about omnipresence, we might want to make a distinction between functional omnipresence and ontological omnipresence.
I have just written a devastating and highly effective rebuttal to your comment, but I choose not to derail the thread by posting it. As a moderator I cannot be seen causing havoc in the forums.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I have just written a devastating and highly effective rebuttal to your comment, but I choose not to derail the thread by posting it. As a moderator I cannot be seen causing havoc in the forums.
Okay. I'm not sure how a rebuttal to a comment on a thread could possible be seen as derailing that thread, but if that's the case, I guess I'll have to live without ever having had the pleasure of reading your "devastating" words. Of course, we could always engage in a One-on-One, if you'd like that. Then we could see how "highly effective" your rebuttal really is. ;)

David1967

Premium Member

First of all, welcome to the forum. Second, Thanks for referring to Jews and Christians as your brothers and sisters! I feel the same way. I have always held the view that Jews, Christians and Muslims were dysfunctional children of the same Father. We all descend from Abraham in faith. We all worship the same God. You would think we would be the best of friends. Unfortunately as history shows, that has seldom been the case. Each of our religions over the centuries have killed and persecuted each other in the name of our religion and differences in interpretation of God and His nature and His prophets. Sadly as we know this still happens today. I do believe that we as Muslims, Christians and Jews have much more in common than many would think, in fact there are more differences between some Christian denominations than there are between our three religions respectfully. This forum, as I hope you will find, gives us all a unique opportunity to discuss our common ground as well as our differences in a friendly, sincere and respectful manner. The verses you quoted from the Old Testament, New Testament and Quran demonstrates this common ground. In response to your question above, I have read what others have posted and really have nothing more I can offer. I just wanted to say that I appreciate the good spirit in which you approach this subject, and again Welcome brother and Salam :)