• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

About how Christians hear God

Does God speak to you other than through scripture or in a metaphorical sense?

• Yes

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

QuestioningMind

Because it goes against Islam. That would be number one.

I find that extremely confusing... that a religion based upon god communicating with humans claims that believing that god is communicating with humans goes against the religion. How can two such contradictory concepts exist in your mind at the same time?

thomas t

non-denominational Christian
If what Christians claimed about Jesus was true, then he would be categorically a false messiah, a false prophet, and a blasphemer, according to the Torah (Deuteronomy 13, etc),
ah no. Christians claim him to be their Messiah. I don't see any contradiction with scripture, neither do I think he is categorically a false messiah and so on...
Deuteronomy does not rule out he is the son of God.
Remember Christians base their truth claims upon the Old Testament, which refutes every single one their divergent beliefs.
I don't think so.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You were lucky it missed you. Or maybe the snake did not want to really bite you, because I thought they are very good at "not missing" when biting. But at least you have a beautiful story to tell your children later:cool:. Real life snake stories trump "bookish snake stories":)
Hehe if I had children I could tell :) but I have no children, and am now 43 years old, so no kids for me :)

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Hehe if I had children I could tell :) but I have no children, and am now 43 years old, so no kids for me :)
I didn't know you were already 43 years old. Then indeed it might be a good plan to skip that stage in life. I skipped it too:)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
but I have no children, and am now 43 years old, so no kids for me
Because you don't want any?
You are just a young man. My husband married me at age 42. We did not have children but we had good reasons.
Now I kind of regret that but my spiritual journey is more important and maybe that is true for you as well.

...What do they mean when they say they "heard a voice", "God told me" or "God speaks to me"?

I don't know about others, but, I have lot of thoughts in my mind, it could be compared to hearing speech. And often when I am debating about these issues, I ask God to help me to give a good answer, and I usually get idea that I think is good for the case. Was it God speaking to me, it would be difficult to say, but I believe God helped me to find the idea and answer.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Because you don't want any?
You are just a young man. My husband married me at age 42. We did not have children but we had good reasons.
Now I kind of regret that but my spiritual journey is more important and maybe that is true for you as well.
Yes it is a personal choice from my side to not have children. :)

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I listen to testimonies sometimes from Christians. As a rule, the speaker mentions one or more of the following
  • God or Jesus عليه السلام speaking to them
  • Them hearing a voice say something to them
  • God telling them something.
Usually people become alarmed when they hear a voice and others become alarmed when someone relates that God told them such and such.

That is true :) Hearing voices could alarm some people. But, obviously, if God is speaking to you its different. (The main problem is to distinguish what is God's voice and what isn't)

We are familiar with prophets, but we largely agree they are no longer here and most certainly that not all Christians whom God supposedly "speaks to" can be prophets.

Christians don't seem to have a problem with this.

What do they mean when they say they "heard a voice", "God told me" or "God speaks to me"?

In Christianity, prophets still exist but they have a different purpose. But you don't have to be a prophet to hear the voice of God or Jesus.

If God does speak through a prophet, the commandment is for it to be judged as to whether it was God or not. (A good practice even if you received it personally.

One possibility could be, they don't mean a literal voice — which is reasonable, except that if someone says, for example, "God told me to continue my father's job after his death," would he be saying publicly that, basically, he got a feeling at one time or another that God would want him to continue his father's job after his death and that he transformed that feeling in his mind to God literally speaking to him? How does he know so specifically what God wants if it isn't written clearly in the scripture?

Well... not "a voice" that we hear through our ears. Two times I have "heard" the voice of God but it is more like a voice that is reverberating in your mind and not through your ears.

There are Rhema words (words that are specifically spoken to you) that aren't in scripture but are none the less God speaking to you.

For an example: When Jesus said to Peter "walk on water" (paraphrased) - it wasn't "found in scripture" yet it was an opportunity for Peter to experience something that was only for him and for that moment.

Obviously if God really did speak to you, I don't think that there would be a doubt in your mind. Now, if what one hears violates what is written, then you obviously know that it wasn't God. If someone said "God told me to divorce my wife to marry you", you could respond "I don't know what voice you are listening to, but I know it wasn't God. Please take a hike".

I hope I was clear... feel free to ask anything where I wasn't

ppp

Obviously if God really did speak to you, I don't think that there would be a doubt in your mind. Now, if what one hears violates what is written, then you obviously know that it wasn't God.
That doesn't cover much. Aside from bestiality, cannibalism, worshiping other gods, and eating the flesh of a still-living animal, there is little that violates the type of thing that the Bible purports that God would say.

PearlSeeker

I listen to testimonies sometimes from Christians. As a rule, the speaker mentions one or more of the following
  • God or Jesus عليه السلام speaking to them
  • Them hearing a voice say something to them
  • God telling them something.
Usually people become alarmed when they hear a voice and others become alarmed when someone relates that God told them such and such.

We are familiar with prophets, but we largely agree they are no longer here and most certainly that not all Christians whom God supposedly "speaks to" can be prophets.

Christians don't seem to have a problem with this.

What do they mean when they say they "heard a voice", "God told me" or "God speaks to me"?

One possibility could be, they don't mean a literal voice — which is reasonable, except that if someone says, for example, "God told me to continue my father's job after his death," would he be saying publicly that, basically, he got a feeling at one time or another that God would want him to continue his father's job after his death and that he transformed that feeling in his mind to God literally speaking to him? How does he know so specifically what God wants if it isn't written clearly in the scripture?
Usually it isn't a sounding voice.

I can describe one personal example. Shortly I became a father I met with some friends and after a while we started watching a movie. It was getting late and I was thinking: "How are my wife and newborn baby doing? Should I stay or should I go home now?" Suddenly I asked my friend to pause the movie because I decided to go home. At the moment he hit pause the subtitles appeared: "Go now [and my name - one of the characters had the same name]." I explained that right at that moment I wanted to go and we all laughed. What a synchronicity!