• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

About how Christians hear God

Does God speak to you other than through scripture or in a metaphorical sense?

• Yes

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I listen to testimonies sometimes from Christians. As a rule, the speaker mentions one or more of the following
  • God or Jesus عليه السلام speaking to them
  • Them hearing a voice say something to them
  • God telling them something.
Usually people become alarmed when they hear a voice and others become alarmed when someone relates that God told them such and such.

We are familiar with prophets, but we largely agree they are no longer here and most certainly that not all Christians whom God supposedly "speaks to" can be prophets.

Christians don't seem to have a problem with this.

What do they mean when they say they "heard a voice", "God told me" or "God speaks to me"?

One possibility could be, they don't mean a literal voice — which is reasonable, except that if someone says, for example, "God told me to continue my father's job after his death," would he be saying publicly that, basically, he got a feeling at one time or another that God would want him to continue his father's job after his death and that he transformed that feeling in his mind to God literally speaking to him? How does he know so specifically what God wants if it isn't written clearly in the scripture?

When you dream about having a conversation with another person, in your dream do you hear that person talking to you?

Your brain can create voices in your head. Usually, when you are awake you may consciously imagine such a conversation. You are totally aware this is all internal and are obviously aware it is not "real". this is a common experience/understanding among most people. However, the brain is capable of simulating the experience of hearing a voice that you are not consciously aware of controlling. People with schizophrenia do hear what seems like actual voices in their head. So I think that many do hear what seems to them an actual voice which although is internal to them seems external.

If they are inclined to religious belief, why would they not think this is God talking to them? Or for some even demons or spirits?

Piculet

When you dream about having a conversation with another person, in your dream do you hear that person talking to you?

Your brain can create voices in your head. Usually, when you are awake you may consciously imagine such a conversation. You are totally aware this is all internal and are obviously aware it is not "real". this is a common experience/understanding among most people. However, the brain is capable of simulating the experience of hearing a voice that you are not consciously aware of controlling. People with schizophrenia do hear what seems like actual voices in their head. So I think that many do hear what seems to them an actual voice which although is internal to them seems external.

If they are inclined to religious belief, why would they not think this is God talking to them? Or for some even demons or spirits?
I have ever heard voices only in a state of sleeping. It is not normal to hear them and usually people who begin to hear voices, are alarmed by them. These giving the testimonies don't indicate on any way they were alarmed.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I was lucky, it happened in the Ashram, I always shaved all my hair, and the Scorpion slided from my head onto the ground fortunately.:eek:
That's scary :) we do not have scorpions here in Norway, but I was almost bitten by a snake here once :)

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

My Master told me "No need to search for God outside of you; search within". So, the voice you hear is from within. And that is also how I hear it, not an outside voice. Sometimes I get information that I could not possibly know. For example if I prepare food, I need to weigh everything (due to kidney problem, so that I don't get too much), sometimes I am fed up and don't weigh, but while scooping many times (hundreds) I hear a voice giving me a number, then I stop scooping, and it's the exact amount in grams as I heard. That for me is proof, that it has nothing to do with schizophrenia. There is an incredible power/wisdom available to us, if we get in tune with it, and then all the knowledge is available. But usually I only get the knowledge that is needed for the moment, which makes kind of sense to me.

stvdv

That's scary :) we do not have scorpions here in Norway, but I was almost bitten by a snake here once :)
So, was the snake really trying to attack you? Did you step on it almost mabye? The ones I saw did not try to byte me, but I have to admit, that I did not wait for it, to check it out:D

I was in India when the Divine Scorpion fell on my head. Here in Holland we don't have them either; and I am glad (safe pizza eating:D).

In India "God" did send snakes to me, when I was eating dates (trying to control my sweet tooth I guess), happened like 5 times. But again, I am safe from snakes now too (they are not in Holland; Holland is really easy to live, without jungle and dangers:)).

Of course others will say "all coincidence", but I like to call it God, or Divine Intervention/Leela/Play, or just Universal Guidance. I don't understand why and how, but it seems the Universe cares about me, so there is Love after all it seems. I just enjoy the experiences. Gives a new dimension.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
So, was the snake really trying to attack you? Did you step on it almost mabye? The ones I saw did not try to byte me, but I have to admit, that I did not wait for it, to check it out:D

I was in India when the Divine Scorpion fell on my head. Here in Holland we don't have them either; and I am glad (safe pizza eating:D).

In India "God" did send snakes to me, when I was eating dates (trying to control my sweet tooth I guess), happened like 5 times. But again, I am safe from snakes now too (they are not in Holland; Holland is really easy to live, without jungle and dangers:)).

Of course others will say "all coincidence", but I like to call it God, or Divine Intervention/Leela/Play, or just Universal Guidance. I don't understand why and how, but it seems the Universe cares about me, so there is Love after all it seems. I just enjoy the experiences. Gives a new dimension.
I was going in to a underground tunnel in the forest when the snake tried to bite me in the face :) it was probably on one of the stones and when I got close it launched an attack :) it missed my cheek with about 3 inches :cool:

Last edited:

stvdv

I was going in to a underground tunnel in the forest when the snak tried to bite me in the face :) it was probably on one of the stones and when I got close it launched an attack :) it missed my cheek with about 3 inches :cool:
You were lucky it missed you. Or maybe the snake did not want to really bite you, because I thought they are very good at "not missing" when biting. But at least you have a beautiful story to tell your children later:cool:. Real life snake stories trump "bookish snake stories":)

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
The most distinct incident of which I 'heard' God was when he decided to play a practical joke on me...

I said a very rude prayer regarding a health issue, and with that, I 'felt' (and yes, this was a physical sensation) something go into the affected area and pull something out(and that was also a physical sensation), and then I got the very distinct feeling someone was laughing at me. Not in a cruel manner, more the way someone would laugh if you sat on a whoopie cushion they'd placed for you, and, that was that. I could not hear the laughter with my ears, but I still recall someone was laughing. Either way, the issue was solved.

There are other times my husband and I will have a question mulling in one of our heads, and we will see something written that seems the perfect answer. Does that come from God? I feel it does, but I could see someone arguing coincidence. Just seems to happen too frequently for me to write it off, though.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I heard Muslims do not have a problem believing in flying horses providing heaven shuttle service to prophets. :)
To each, its own.

Ciao
- viole

QuestioningMind

I listen to testimonies sometimes from Christians. As a rule, the speaker mentions one or more of the following
Usually people become alarmed when they hear a voice and others become alarmed when someone relates that God told them such and such.

We are familiar with prophets, but we largely agree they are no longer here and most certainly that not all Christians whom God supposedly "speaks to" can be prophets.

What do they mean when they say they "heard a voice", "God told me" or "God speaks to me"?

One possibility could be, they don't mean a literal voice — which is reasonable, except that if someone says, for example, "God told me to continue my father's job after his death," would he be saying publicly that, basically, he got a feeling at one time or another that God would want him to continue his father's job after his death and that he transformed that feeling in his mind to God literally speaking to him? How does he know so specifically what God wants if it isn't written clearly in the scripture?

If you're willing to believe that god spoke to people centuries ago, why do you refuse to accept that god might still be talking to people today?

Personally I think it's rather ridiculous to think that some god being is or has ever spoken to anyone... but if you genuinely believe that it happened in the past, I can't imagine why you claim that it can't be happening now as well.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
My Master told me "No need to search for God outside of you; search within". So, the voice you hear is from within. And that is also how I hear it, not an outside voice. Sometimes I get information that I could not possibly know. For example if I prepare food, I need to weigh everything (due to kidney problem, so that I don't get too much), sometimes I am fed up and don't weigh, but while scooping many times (hundreds) I hear a voice giving me a number, then I stop scooping, and it's the exact amount in grams as I heard. That for me is proof, that it has nothing to do with schizophrenia. There is an incredible power/wisdom available to us, if we get in tune with it, and then all the knowledge is available. But usually I only get the knowledge that is needed for the moment, which makes kind of sense to me.

Your subconscious mind has a great deal more information than you are consciously aware of. So your brain can have an accurate knowledge of counts even though you are not consciously aware of it. I got pretty good at ping pong at one time to the point I knew where the ball was going t go even before my opponent hit it. So even before they hit the ball I would be in the right place position to return it.

Our conscious mind, knowledge, memory, awareness, is pretty stupid. However, subconsciously our brain can be very precise, very aware. So IMO, of course you have this knowledge. You are just not consciously aware of it. We only call it schizophrenia when it interferes with our wellbeing.

For most people our subconscious mind communicates through feelings when we are awake, through dreams when we are asleep. However for some as an actual voice. Obviously not everyone but I wonder if it is more common then we think. Maybe some who experience it don't talk about it, don't admit it for fear of being thought schizophrenic.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I have ever heard voices only in a state of sleeping. It is not normal to hear them and usually people who begin to hear voices, are alarmed by them. These giving the testimonies don't indicate on any way they were alarmed.

People who pray, who deeply believe, maybe they are startled at first, but if they believe in God why wouldn't they also believe it was God talking to them. Joan of Arc, Joseph Smith even Socrates claimed to be guided by a divine voice. I understand, not having experienced such a thing it would not be believable.

In my younger, more "religious" days I had a few conversations with God myself. Now I believe this was a product of my subconscious mind supporting my religious conviction. I do understand how someone could be convinced by these "divine" conversations that they were directly in communication with God, Jesus/Holy Spirit, even nature spirits and demons.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Its a modern development, common in places where the ministers claim to hear God speak to them daily. I think it messes with people's heads when they claim that. People have a tendency to believe ministers are 100% truthful -- especially little children do.

Don't rule out God speaking to individuals though. God is not limited, so who knows?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Personally I think it's rather ridiculous to think that some god being is or has ever spoken to anyone... but if you genuinely believe that it happened in the past, I can't imagine why you claim that it can't be happening now as well.
It happens when God decides it will happen since God is the one who chooses to speak.
I do not believe it is happening right now, but I believe it has happened since God spoke to Muhammad.

Piculet

If you're willing to believe that god spoke to people centuries ago, why do you refuse to accept that god might still be talking to people today?

Because it goes against Islam. That would be number one.