• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abiogenesis, explained.

Ceridwen018

In this thread, I would first like to outline the difference between abiogenesis and evolution, and then explain exactly what abiogenesis is, how it works, and what sort of experiments have been conducted to confirm these hypotheses.

We've all debated evolution until our faces have turned red, and the one issue that keeps popping up, time and time again, is that evolution cannot account for the origin of life, and is therefore untrue. WRONG! The purpose of the theory of evolution is to deal with current species. Evolution delves a little into history, but only so much that we can gain a solid foundation of knowledge in order to better make predictions about the future and test them accordingly.

It seems humorous to me that aside from the "origin of life" misconception, many people who attempt to argue against it, actually do believe in evolution. Because, as we have just learned, evolution is NOT responsible for the origin of life, I would like to take a moment and congratulate the few who are now realizing themselves to be evolutionists after all!

That said, I will now attempt to explain the theory of abiogenesis, which, in contrast, IS responsible for explaining the origin of life.

First of all, let's break down the word. "Bio" means "life", and "genesis" means "beginning". The "a" in the front of the word delineates a negative, such as "atheist" refers to a non-thesist. Thus, abiogenesis could also be written as non-biogenesis. Quite simply, this word directly refers to the Earth's beginning (genesis) from non-living (abio) materials! How exciting!

In order to configure what our early Earth's atmosphere consisted of as accurately as possible, scientists can work backward from our current atmosphere, and notice what changes would have occurred during different times in our earth's existence, etc. For instance, until oxygen-producing photosynthesis arrived as a result of plants in the Paleozoic era, oxygen was not a particularly plentiful substance in our Earth's atmosphere. This lack of oxygen was actually very beneficial for our "primordial soup", so to speak. Oxygen molecules are extremely electronegative, which basically means that they have a very strong pull on other molecules around them. This pull can destroy complex molecules, or even keep them from forming in the first place. Without oxygen, however, complex molecules could form easily, but we're getting ahead of ourselves!

Abiotic Synthesis of Organic Monomers

The first problem that needed to be addressed, was the issue of how organic compounds could form from inorganic molecules. This question was answered by scientists Stanley Miller and Harold Urey in 1953. They recreated the early-Earth atmosphere which had been postulated in the 1920's by scientists Oparin and Haldane. In the Miller-Urey experiment, they created a closed environment which was meant to simulate conditions on early Earth. A warm flask of water represented the sea, and an ancient atmosphere was created which consisted of H(2)O (water), H(2) (hydrogen gas), CH(4) (methane), and NH(3) (ammonia). Sparks were then charged through the simulatory atmosphere to mimic lightning. The water vapors travelled up to a condenser which cooled them, and changed them back to liquid form which then rained down their apparatus, and back into the makeshift "sea".

A flask was positioned below one of the tubes to catch some of the rain water before it reached the sea again. As the materials kept circulating, the liquid in the flask changed from clear to a murky brown. At the end of one week, Miller and Urey tested the contents of the flask to find that the non-living molecules from thier experiment had produced a variety of organic compounds including amino acids, which make up proteins.

This experiement has been repeated many times. Often, the initial "recipe" of molecules used to simulate the early Earth's atmosphere have been altered, but each time, organic molecules are still produced.

**I have to run off now, but when I come back, I will discuss how organic monomers can form polymers!**

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Ceridwen018 said:
The first problem that needed to be addressed, was the issue of how organic compounds could form from inorganic molecules. This question was answered by scientists Stanley Miller and Harold Urey in 1953. They recreated the early-Earth atmosphere which had been postulated in the 1920's by scientists Oparin and Haldane. In the Miller-Urey experiment, they created a closed environment which was meant to simulate conditions on early Earth.
Though no doubt unintended, this description is formally accurate yet slightly misleading. Specifically ...

These discoveries created a stir within the science community. Scientists became very optimistic that the questions about the origin of life would be solved within a few decades. This has not been the case, however. Instead, the investigation into life's origins seems only to have just begun.

There has been a recent wave of skepticism concerning Miller's experiment because it is now believed that the early earth's atmosphere did not contain predominantly reductant molecules. Another objection is that this experiment required a tremendous amount of energy. While it is believed lightning storms were extremely common on the primitive Earth, they were not continuous as the Miller/Urey experiment portrayed. Thus it has been argued that while amino acids and other organic compounds may have been formed, they would not have been formed in the amounts which this experiment produced.

- see Miller/Urey Experiment

jt1970

I have a bag full of screws, and over in the corner some sheet metal, maybe if I pass the sheet metal through a makeshift press and feed the screws into the robotic assembler, and program the robot to screw in the right location, and repeat the process over and over, then maybe I'll have a refrigerator.

Come on guys, whos acting as the GOD here? Hum? We are. Just like we try to create life, ITS MORE PROBABLE THAT ANOTHER PERSON CREATED US. An intervening brain reduces probablilty!!! (unless you're an idiot and swing the hammer randomly)

Life, is not just building blocks, amino acids etc. Life is a "machine" in MOTION. It is a dynamic system. You can put together a car but if your TIMING is off, no go baby!!

If you look at the probability of all things coming together at just the right instant to make life, its ZERO! Somebody had to do it, that's the more porbable alternative, AND THE MORE SCIENTIFIC ONE!

Ceridwen018

Thank you for your incredibly enlightened comments, jt1970. :sarcastic

Also, I wanted to take a moment to genuinely thank you, Deut, for that site you posted! :)

Carrying on with the initial purpose of this thread, I would like to now attempt to explain how organic monomers can form polymers, as well as a couple of steps after that. It won't be long until we move from abiogenesis seamlessly into evolution!

Abiotic Synthesis of Polymers
The synthesis of polymers from organic monomers is actually quite simple to explain and comprehend. Basically, scientists have found that when they drip solutions containing organic monomers onto hot sand, clay, rock, etc., the heat vaporizes the solution and concentrates the monomer on the underlying substance. At this point, some of the monomers spontaneously bond with each other to form polymers which include polypeptides,(chains of amino acids which make proteins).

On the early Earth, such a phenomenon could have happened in a number of ways. Waves or rain could have splashed organic monomers onto hot lava rocks. Also, deep sea vents where gases and superheated water with dissolved minerals escape from the Earth’s interior could have been centers for the synthesis of polymers and organic monomers alike.

Formation of Protobionts

The next step in abiogenesis then, would be the formation of protobionts. We see the first properties of life emerge at this stage. A protobiont is a collection of several abiotic molecules, or, a group of polymers which have "joined up" with each other. Protobionts form spontaneously by self-assembly.

Protobionts are not capable of actual reproduction, (although they have been observed to perform a sort of pseudo-reproduction, by which they engulf smaller protobionts and grow, and then later "give birth" to several smaller protobionts which it formed inside.) Protobionts maintain an internal chemical environment which is different than that of its surroundings--think of a bunch of polymers clumped together to form a ball with a hollow space inside. Also, protobionts exercise such life-like characteristics as metabolism and exciteability. They discharge voltage in a nerve-like fashion, which is a characteristic of all life. Also, in reference to their primitive metabolisms, some abiotic polymers have been known to posess certain catalytic properties, (to make up for the lack of pure enzymes, ehich hadn't formed yet!), which would allow the protobiont to alter substances that passed through it, etc. This is not to say that protobionts are living, mind you, for they are certainly not. However, they are definitely a step in the right direction!

For my next entry, I will talk about how scientists believe RNA was the first genetic material, how it developed in protobionts, and how evolution played a part with the ancient RNA of protobionts!