• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abhishekam

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Get a flat tray, like the ones at Indian stores. Move the murthy carefully and directly in front of their normal position into the center of the tray, and then do the abhishekham, one at a time. Pour whatever liquids you might be using on the murthies. Once complete, dry them with a clean towel, and then place them back in their original positions for new clothing, flowers etc. Save a bit of the water as theertham for sipping, but the reat you can toss.

Personally, I'd never do it in a sink.
images

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Get a flat tray, ..
Puja Thali.

Snana or abhisekha. Water is offered for symbolic bathing.
Vastra (“clothing”). Here a cloth may be wrapped around the image and ornaments affixed to it.
Upaveeda or Mangalsutra. Putting on the sacred thread.
Anulepana or gandha. Perfumes and ointments are applied to the image. Sandalwood paste or kumkum is applied.
Pushpa. Flowers are offered before the image, or garlands draped around its neck.
Dhupa. Incense is burned before the image.
Dipa or Aarti. A burning lamp is waved in front of the image.
Naivedya. Foods such as cooked rice, fruit, clarified butter, sugar, and betel leaf are offered.
(Phalam Smarpayami (Offer fruits), Madhuparka Samarpayami (Offer Honey), Tamboolam Samarpayami (Offer Betel leaf), Pungiphalam Samarpayami (Officer Whole Betel Nut)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puja_(Hinduism)#Elaborate_p.C5.ABj.C4.81 :)

0003227_penandpaper_pooja_thali.jpeg

Last edited:

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vinayaka advice is perfect !

Please don't forget not to take the murtis by the head or anything, take them gently at the hips like a real person.

Haryaksha

I've never heard of doing abhishekam in a sink before. I personally wouldn't do that either.

I don't even pour the leftover liquids down a drain. Rather, I pour them directly into the Earth outside.

A beginner to abhishekam can start 'simple' and then move on to adding more items. One can perform a simple water abhishekam the first few times and then gradually move on to adding milk, honey, ghee, etc.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The more ingredients you add, the bigger the tray you'll need. I found mini-kailasa pots, so I can use a small amount of milk, etc. I've also seen a flat rock or tile used in the middle of a tray, so the remaining liquid doesn't 'sit'.

At one time I had a tiled shrine, where abhishekham could be done without moving the murthies at all... complete with drain to the side. I suppose that would be the real ideal.