• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A UU Holiday?

uu_sage

On December 10th I took a break from my home church to visit the UU Church of Riverside (UUCR). Rev. Crary spoke on "What would a UU Holiday look like?" He used Festivus as a starting point. While we as UUs honor all of the holidays, we do not have one of our own. In the order of service this survey was included. I'd like to see your responses to this survey. Happy Holidays, everybody!

What would bring you joy from a Unitarian Universalist Holiday?
Number the following from 1 (most joyful) to 10 (least important)

Time to be a peacemaker, within my family and the world at large
Time to enjoy being with my immediate family
Time to create a beautiful home environment
Celebrate (circle all that apply) Christmas, Chanukah, Kwanzaa, New Years, Yule, Other
Exchange gifts with family and friends
Time for parties, entertaining, and visits with friends
Time to help those who are less fortunate
Time to strengthen bonds with my relatives
Time to strengthen bonds with my church community
Time to be relaxed and renewed

applewuud

What would bring me joy would be a sense of the world turning to a better way, a sense that the ways of Empire were going to become extinct nonviolently, that grace is being poured down upon us even if we don't deserve it. That's what Christmas felt like to me, and what it ought to be to UUs.

seeker57

I would have to say I would like it to be a time devoted to peace, in our homes, our towns, our nation and our world.

EverChanging

All of these are wonderful ways of observing holidays (holy days), but the problem is that the different holy days that have developed in various traditions have different emphases. For instance, Easter, which is eight weeks long, is celebratory and joyous, whereas Lent is penitential and would have a focus on giving to the poor. Christmas is a time to bond with family and friends and share gifts.

So if a UU holiday (or holy day) developed, it would probably need to develop along with other holy days so that each day has its own unique emphasis.

But that's just my opinion.

I like to observe the solstices and equinoxes. I create or renew resolutions on those days and review my previous resolutions. This is easier for me to keep up with and focus on than if I only do resolutions annually. If I am able to, I prefer to relax on those days and perhaps have a glass of wine.

I think these could be good days for UUs to observe simply because they are universal astronomical events. Given their correlation to the seasons, UUs could even give each of these holidays a particular emphasis, like the other holy days (and seasons) mentioned above.

Given that UUs are so individualistic, I don't know that there would ever be a UU holiday (or holy day) observed by all UUs, but it's an idea..

Last edited:
Apparently, there IS a Unitarian Universalist Holiday that is not official, but I hope everyone eventually does appreciate it in its uniqueness: CHALICA!

chalica - www

I think it is a very cute idea!

JonathanCid

Chalica interests me, but I wouldn't go crazy trying to promote it. Holidays and such evolve and grow organically, and any holiday that's celebrated in a UU way is a legitimately UU holiday in my opinion, since holidays get replicated and borrowed and shared by many religions and cultures or societies, each with their own twist on it.

Chalica interests me, but I wouldn't go crazy trying to promote it. Holidays and such evolve and grow organically, and any holiday that's celebrated in a UU way is a legitimately UU holiday in my opinion, since holidays get replicated and borrowed and shared by many religions and cultures or societies, each with their own twist on it.

Why of course; that is the beauty of Unitarian Universalism: every individual has the ability to personal revelation; that is, direct experience in integrating whatever spiritual or inspiring aspects of practices into one's life.

Many people have also said that holidays are adopted and evolve within any communal context. I just think that it is a very cute idea and a very centric holiday for the 7 Principles. :)