• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A syncretic outline

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
While studying syncretism, I have been attempting to categorize the world religions. I believe if I sufficiently categorize them, it will help me from a studying point of view at least.

Below is my current categorization of world religions. I would like feedback! Also help naming my last category LOL
I do only have elementary level knowledge of many of these religions. I intend to learn about and practice each section I have listed. I believe I can be a practitioner of all faiths, through patience and dedication.

Each category represents a different route taken to come closer to God. I provide a brief description of each.

Category 1: Abrahamic Religions

Religions of this category stem from one man; Abraham. The monotheistic God of Abraham is intended to be believed as the literal creator God. These religions claim that their messages are directly from Abraham’s God.

1a: Judaism

The indigenous religion of the Hebrew people. Has strict religious laws, which serve to preserve the Hebrew people and culture for the future Messiah. Judaism teaches that the Messiah figure will be a descendant of Abraham, as well as a Hebrew.

1b: Christianity

A branch of Judaism. They believe the promised Messiah figure has already come in the form of Jesus. They do not follow the strict Judaism religious laws, as they believe that Christ has freed them from the law.

1c: Islam

A religion that claims it’s prophet is a direct descendant of Ishmael. It has been generally claimed that the Arab people are descendants from Ishmael, just like the Hebrew people claim to be descendants from Issac.

Category 2: Meditative

The religions of this category have refined their teachings through the practice of meditation. As there is the belief that our soul is connected with God, looking into our soul should provide insights on God. This is done through meditation.

2a: Hinduism

The earliest meditative religion. Established the teachings of karma, and reincarnation. Developed the term Atman, which means soul. The Hindu belief is that we all have Atman and are part of the supreme soul. Generally will be Henotheistic in nature. Established the supreme deity as Brahman.

2b: Buddhism

Buddhism is the resulting philosophy of when you remove the pantheon from Hinduism. Generally, Buddhism and Hinduism agrees on meditative insights. Buddhism separates itself as it does not teach of any deities or Brahman. “There is only Atman”. It’s teachings are solely based on the knowledge that can be derived from the soul through mediation alone.

2c: Jainism

An Indian religion that evolved alongside Hinduism and Buddhism. It is transtheistic (neither atheist or theistic) and believes that souls could be either good or evil, contrary to the rest of the category. A belief in karma, and rebirth is still present, and meditation is relied on to garner truths. Focus on asceticism. I would describe the differences between Jainism and the other meditative religion to be similar to denominational differences you may see in Christianity.

Category 3: Universalist

These religions in this category emphasize the universal nature of humanity and their common goal. The general message is nonexclusivist.

3a: Zoroastrianism

The ancient Iranian religion, perhaps predating Abraham. Monotheistic in nature. God is not omnipotent, and needs humanities help to overcome evil. The good God is in a cosmic battle with the evil God. Each individuals thoughts and actions contribute to this battle, for better or worse. Even if you’re not Zoroastrian, you still contribute to the battle.

3b: Sikhism

Often incorrectly labeled as a syncretic blend of Hinduism and Islam. The core beliefs of Sikhism, articulated in the Guru Granth Sahib, include faith and meditation on the name of the one creator; divine unity and equality of all humankind. Sikhism rejects claims that any particular religious tradition has a monopoly on Absolute Truth

3c: Baha’i faith

Emerging in the 19th century, the prophet Baha’u’llah core message was the unity of mankind and religion. He said that all of the major prophets of the world religions were manifestations of the same God. The perceived difference in messages are a result of the culture and time period they were specific for. The main goal of the Baha’i faith is to unite humanity.

Category 4: ????

Not sure what to call this category, but I think I just about cover everything else there is below

4a: Indigenous / Shinto

Indigenous religions are the various native religions from around the world. Shinto is the indigenous religion of Japan, however it receives distinction because it spread beyond Japan. While other indigenous religions are generally replaced, Shinto spread and influenced other religions. NeoConfucianism is a syncretic blend of Shinto, Confucianism, and Buddhism. So, with Shinto, the idea of indigenous religion can be most fully explored.

4b: Confucianism / Taoism

Confucianism and Taoism both evolved in China, and influenced each others philosophy. Confucianism is more of a socio-political philosophy. Confucius perhaps hypothesized the earliest iteration of anarchism. Anarchist thought generally permeates Confucianism, though at a surface level this is unseen (it is perceived as a state idolizing religion). Anarchist thought generally permeates Taoism as well. Taoism, is more wholly focused on metaphysical truths and ideas. The Tao perhaps can be related to Brahman

4c: Platonism

Using the logical mind to find proof of God or the soul. Socrates, and his successors, attempted to use logic to discern truths about the universe. This is in the same vein of mediation I believe

Thanks for reading!

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Eh... Your version of "meditative" I have heard called "Dharmic."

I wouldn't place Zoroastrianism, Bahai, and Sikhism together. Their roots are all different, and the similarities they share are all only surface level, IMO, and much of that has to do with their contact with Islam anyway.

It always kind of irks me when "indigenous beliefs" gets shoved into a junk drawer where it stays until someone wants to pick out one thing to comment on. "Well, native Americans believed in one god, and called him 'the great spirit'" is something I've heard a few times to prove a point on the superiority of monotheism. No one looks at indigenous beliefs beyond a surface level and they want to comment on them. I feel it's disrespectful, and it puts words in the mouths of people who are never asked what they think.

Often times none of these groups share roots at all, so their beliefs are drastically different from each other. Heathenry doesn't share roots with Salishan spirituality, and even if they are both nature based, they really have nothing in common.

Personally, I feel the best way to categorize religions and spiritual paths is through their roots. This gives better context behind their ideas and how they evolved throughout time and location. Some religions diverged so much from their roots that they became something unique and defy categorization in the first place.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I wouldn't place Zoroastrianism, Bahai, and Sikhism together. Their roots are all different, and the similarities they share are all only surface level,
These three in particular I really do have only a surface level knowledge of them. I was wanting to look beyond each religions roots and focus on the philosophy of them when categorizing. That’s why I didn’t choose dharmic for category two and include Sikhism with them. I am supposing that religion is syncretic, so I’m supposing that God’s universal message would transcend geographical location “roots”.
Personally, I feel the best way to categorize religions and spiritual paths is through their roots. This gives better context behind their ideas and how they evolved throughout time and location. Some religions diverged so much from their roots that they became something unique and defy categorization in the first place.
I stated above about my thoughts on categorizing them mainly based on their roots. I appreciate the feedback, it is helpful!

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
What about left handed paths?
That is one thing I’ve decidedly left out. I initially had only negative views of LHP and paganism, but since I’ve joined RF my opinions are shifting on it as it has been explained to me by members of this site.
As someone of the LHP, do you think your beliefs fit into any of the sections? If not, that’s ok that’s good to know. Indigenous religions are sometimes called paganism by westerners, but I don’t know if that is a proper comparison at all. The indigenous section is most broad as it is as varied as much as indigenous cultures and belief systems are.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
That is one thing I’ve decidedly left out. I initially had only negative views of LHP and paganism, but since I’ve joined RF my opinions are shifting on it as it has been explained to me by members of this site.
As someone of the LHP, do you think your beliefs fit into any of the sections? If not, that’s ok that’s good to know. Indigenous religions are sometimes called paganism by westerners, but I don’t know if that is a proper comparison at all. The indigenous section is most broad as it is as varied as much as indigenous cultures and belief systems are.
No I don't think so. Depends more on the 4th category. I'm unsure of your criteria

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
1a: Judaism

The indigenous religion of the Hebrew people. Has strict religious laws, which serve to preserve the Hebrew people and culture for the future Messiah. Judaism teaches that the Messiah figure will be a descendant of Abraham, as well as a Hebrew.
This description makes it sound like the whole purpose of the creation of the People of Israel is to give birth to the Messiah. That is NOT an idea of Judaism. That is a Christian idea.

Israel was set aside by God to be a nation of priests, to be a blessing to the world.

The messiah is such a minor point in Judaism, that fi you are going to give a half a paragraph spiel on the our religion, you shouldn't even mention him. From the Torah to the Prophets, the emphasis in Judaism is on the 613 laws and being obedient. Yet you haven't made this the point of your blurb.

I recommend you rewrite this portion.

IndigoChild5559

1b: Christianity

A branch of Judaism.
This is an outright lie. I'm shocked that you even wrote it. Are you this ignorant that Christianity and Judaism are separate religions? The Nazarenes (Jewish believers) began as a heretical sect of Judaism, but Paul changed all that when he went to the Gentiles. For 2000 years, the Christian church persecuted and killed Jews. If that isn't antagonistic to Judaism I don't know what else could be. Today, most Christians say that Judaism is a false religion that teaches obedience to the law instead of Grace. The hostilities may be less, but the gulf between us is just as great as it has been for millenia.

IndigoChild5559

1c: Islam

A religion that claims it’s prophet is a direct descendant of Ishmael. It has been generally claimed that the Arab people are descendants from Ishmael, just like the Hebrew people claim to be descendants from Issac.
Where is your notation that Muhammad claimed to be the last prophet, who received a revelation through an angel (not direct from God as you claim).

You have so butchered the essence of the three monotheistic faiths, that I stopped reading. I don't trust anything you say about an religion at all. I suggest you continue your studies.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
This is an outright lie. I'm shocked that you even wrote it. Are you this ignorant that Christianity and Judaism are separate religions? The Nazarenes (Jewish believers) began as a heretical sect of Judaism, but Paul changed all that when he went to the Gentiles. For 2000 years, the Christian church persecuted and killed Jews. If that isn't antagonistic to Judaism I don't know what else could be. Today, most Christians say that Judaism is a false religion that teaches obedience to the law instead of Grace. The hostilities may be less, but the gulf between us is just as great as it has been for millenia.

This is the problem I find with trying to classify religions one isn't a part of. Even if someone does practice a religion and have first hand experience with it, they would only have experienced one particular branch of one religion in one part of the world existing in one social and cultural climate. It's a very narrow vertical slice, and to extrapolate something deeper than that based on uninformed subjective assumptions is a big pitfall.

Syncretism only works when one takes the time to understand and respect the source material for what it is as an observer, and to be inspired by that understanding instead of claiming ownership of it, IMO. One should only speak from experiences within the very narrow limited context of what those experiences are on a personal level. To assume more than that is to compromise the very foundation of what that ideal stands for. It's ripping out the soul of what makes that thing unique, and to interject one's own ideas in it's place.

We aren't making a Frankenstein monster from all the body parts of different people. We are creating a sculpture inspired by the techniques that well established and wonderfully talented artists have already perfected and making something meaningful to us on a personal level.

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
2b: Buddhism

Buddhism is the resulting philosophy of when you remove the pantheon from Hinduism. Generally, Buddhism and Hinduism agrees on meditative insights. Buddhism separates itself as it does not teach of any deities or Brahman. “There is only Atman”. It’s teachings are solely based on the knowledge that can be derived from the soul through mediation alone.

Namu Amida Butsu.

This is sort of not accurate.

There is no Creator God in Buddhism, but there indeed are many other gods. They are taught as being themselves trapped in the endless cycle of birth, life, death, and rebirth, nevertheless they are venerable. In various forms of Japanese Buddhism, including Pure Land, gods are seen as either local incarnations of various Buddhas and bodhisattvas for the purpose of providing an expedient means for people to awaken to the Dharma and thus be saved or as virtuous protectors of the Dharma (or both).

In addition, there is no immaterial entity called ‘the soul’ or ‘the self’ in Buddhism. There are five aggregates called skandhas: the personality, the thoughts, the emotions, the physical body, and consciousness. However, the aggregation of these can be, and is in some schools of Buddhism, are considered a person’s soul.

Last edited: