• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A sick dogma!

RJ50

Christianity is a very broad church, encompassing the extreme fundamentalists/Biblical literalists, to the out of sight liberals who don't actually believe a deity exists. I have no problem with Christians I term 'mainstream', who go about their faith in a live and let live way, and don't seek to force it on others. I do however have a big problem with those who preach, "you must be 'saved' or burn in the fires of hell". My childhood was spoilt by having this dogma forced down my throat Sunday after Sunday. I suffered horrible nightmares in consequence. Surely a deity who sanctioned such a fate for the 'unsaved' however good they are, would be in need of serious psychiatric attention?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The OP reminds me of this....
bill4.gif

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Christianity is a very broad church, encompassing the extreme fundamentalists/Biblical literalists, to the out of sight liberals who don't actually believe a deity exists. I have no problem with Christians I term 'mainstream', who go about their faith in a live and let live way, and don't seek to force it on others. I do however have a big problem with those who preach, "you must be 'saved' or burn in the fires of hell". My childhood was spoilt by having this dogma forced down my throat Sunday after Sunday. I suffered horrible nightmares in consequence. Surely a deity who sanctioned such a fate for the 'unsaved' however good they are, would be in need of serious psychiatric attention?
I'm just curious... So are you agnostic now because you couldn't accept the existence of such a hate-filled God? Or are you agnostic for other reasons? Do you think a childhood spent in a less "Hellfire and Damnation" sort of church would have caused you to react the same way, or was this experience just one of a multitude of reasons why you have come to have the worldview you do?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I don't really feel hate for those who believe in hellfire, since I don't believe in it I have nothing to worry about it, and those who preach it actually BELIEVE it, and they preach it because they want YOU to be saved, I think of it as kindness, they think something bad will happen to you, and want to save you from it.

Imagine all of the ones that believe in hell but DON'T go about preaching...

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I don't really feel hate for those who believe in hellfire, since I don't believe in it I have nothing to worry about it, and those who preach it actually BELIEVE it, and they preach it because they want YOU to be saved, I think of it as kindness, they think something bad will happen to you, and want to save you from it.

Yeah, but do they need to love you with such obvious relish of your impending eternity in torment? Seriously, I have never had anyone tell me I'm going to hell and made it at all convincing that they cared.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Yeah, but do they need to love you with such obvious relish of your impending eternity in torment? Seriously, I have never had anyone tell me I'm going to hell and made it at all convincing that they cared.

That is what makes it sad. People only worry about their children and immediate family.

I have a mother praying for me and sincerely believes god will make me a Christian. But despite her polluted mind and hate filled heart she does everything out of superficial appearances for her own self. :biglaugh: not a smart woman but it is a long story.

People see others die and do not feel empathy for them "knowing" they will burn in hell for eternity. It is sad honestly

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

Well, they don't need to, but if they really want to save me from hell that's kind of nice of them.

RJ50

I think the hell-fire exponents get a sadistic thrill out of scaring people with that horrible dogma!

I remember when I was seventeen my younger sisters and I attended a service at our pentecostal church where there was a guest speaker. My parents were not in attendance. The guy was getting off on the tortures of hell, and describing how unsaved virgins would be raped, he was practically frothing at the mouth. I walked out mid sermon, taking my sisters with me, and was followed by at least half the congregation!

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I think the hell-fire exponents get a sadistic thrill out of scaring people with that horrible dogma!

I remember when I was seventeen my younger sisters and I attended a service at our pentecostal church where there was a guest speaker. My parents were not in attendance. The guy was getting off on the tortures of hell, and describing how unsaved virgins would be raped, he was practically frothing at the mouth. I walked out mid sermon, taking my sisters with me, and was followed by at least half the congregation!

I love to see pastors preach about the loving god of the Bible and speak of how justified Hell is. They speak to the world and protest the love of Christ yet the Bible itself has so many atrocities in it.
Rather hypocritical

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

You do realize, I hope, that this kind of thing is not typical of most Christian worship services.

RJ50

I most certainly do, our eldest girl is an Anglican Priest and her services are not a bit scary and enjoyed by her congregations

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus

I believe they just wanna scare you into dropping a 20 in that collection plate

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I've seen a lot of preaching and I've heard very little about the teaching of hell. Some preachers thrive on it but most talk about heaven. Most of the teaching I've heard recently was about how to be a good wife, parent, and things of that nature. Since I don't believe in a fiery hell, I don't think I'd accept such preaching, anyway, if I did hear it.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Not ALL hell-believers, just the ones who get paid to preach about it. I'm also of the opinion that the Pope knows there's no such thing as Jesus, but good business is good business

I might have believed that of Pope Benedict, but I don't about Pope Francisco. I believe that Pope Francis(co) believes in God.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
I might have believed that of Pope Benedict, but I don't about Pope Francisco. I believe that Pope Francis(co) believes in God.

You've gotta be really good at playing the game to make it to the top. Whether or not he actually believes in God the public will never know.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
You've gotta be really good at playing the game to make it to the top. Whether or not he actually believes in God the public will never know.

True enough. I see evangelists on TV who don't appear to be sincere. I try not to judge them but they seem so... phoney. I wouldn't know if they are atheist or not, but they do seem as though they are acting, and badly, when they preach.

Last edited: