• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Second Brexit Vote?

Should there be a second referendum?

• Yes

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • No opinion/maybe maybe not/etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
And that's even more reason to respect the first referendum result and move on,instead the europhiles have forcast doom and gloom since the referendum result and have absolutely got it all wrong and in fact the worst effect has been the uncertainty caused by remains attempts to delay or stop brexit.
The first referendum... as in 1975? ;)

Nothing in your post has anything to do with what I said.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
That's right. That's why any country with a lick of sense doesn't base these sorts of foundational decisions on a simple majority.

The issue now, though, is any Brexit supporter can recognize that Brexit can't pass anything but a simple majority under even ideal conditions, so now they can't support a threshold that would make sense.

The 2016 referendum made perfect sense and the question on the ballot paper easy to understand,the issue has always been the unwillingness to accept it even though each party promised to honour the result.

Your right though,we can't support another referendum,not because "that would make sense" but the opposite.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The 2016 referendum made perfect sense and the question on the ballot paper easy to understand,the issue has always been the unwillingness to accept it even though each party promised to honour the result.

Your right though,we can't support another referendum,not because "that would make sense" but the opposite.
I think you misunderstood what I was saying:

- it made no sense to only need a simple majority to start the Brexit process.

- however, since that was all that was needed, it would be hypocritical not to stop and reverse Brexit if a simple majority now opposes it.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
And I meant the 1975 referendum... the one where "remain" won with 67% of the vote. Why shouldn't that result stand?

Because that was an entirely different entity,so many changes have happened to what was a trading block into a decision making political animal.

For many years people have been asking for a referendum and refused many times because they knew the outcome would be to leave.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
But the people didn't know what it would become and when it becomes another entity, it can require another decision.
Right... so when the implications of a decision change, we can't assume that people who supported the decision in the past will still support it.

The public understanding of the consequences of Brexit have changed a LOT since 2016.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I think you misunderstood what I was saying:

- it made no sense to only need a simple majority to start the Brexit process.

- however, since that was all that was needed, it would be hypocritical not to stop and reverse Brexit if a simple majority now opposes it.

I'll take the simple majority to leave,it's way too late to stop it now,it would be very difficult for the EU to let us back in on the same terms.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Right... so when the implications of a decision change, we can't assume that people who supported the decision in the past will still support it.

The public understanding of the consequences of Brexit have changed a LOT since 2016.
The E.U. hasn't changed.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'll take the simple majority to leave,
Then you have two choices:

- also take a simple majority to remain, or
- be hypocritical

it's way too late to stop it now,it would be very difficult for the EU to let us back in on the same terms.
It seems this isn't actually true:

In a ruling on 10 December 2018, the European Court of Justice stated that the UK could cancel Brexit without the permission of the other 27 EU members. In addition, ECJ judges ruled that the UK has the right to cancel its invocation of Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty without altering the existing terms of the UK's membership.
Investec | Focus | No Brexit

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The E.U. hasn't changed.
The public's understanding of the EU jas changed, since the lies about the relationship between the UK and the EU were exposed after the referendum.

Also, the understanding of the implications of Brexit have changed, since it's become apparent since the referendum that the UK won't be able to get the terms that the Brexiteers claimed the UK would get.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Maybe I'm taking the wrong attitude to this.

Brexit passed by the thinnest of margins, but when we realize that Brexit will probably cause the UK to lose Scotland and Northern Ireland, the level of support for Brexit in what will be left of the UK is way higher than the result in the referendum... and probably still holds a majority in those areas.

So maybe it would be fair for me to take an attitude of "you made your bed, now lie in it" toward Brexit.

I do feel bad for London, though. On the whole, they didn't ask for this, but they aren't going to be able to get independence as easily as Scotland could.

... and I feel bad for the people who are going to suffer with Brexit shortages. Yeah, it would be easy to slip into schadenfreude when someone's so xenophobic that they'd vote to cut off their own insulin supply (and to boot their nurses out of the country) in order to keep immigrants out, but it doesn't bring me joy for even a racist to lose toes to uncontrolled diabetes.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The public's understanding of the EU jas changed, since the lies about the relationship between the UK and the EU were exposed after the referendum.
Most people I know didn't vote based on what the official leave campaign said. Most people I know voted leave based on years if not decades of disliking the EU. I'm not sure how I can get this through to people. We dislike it even more now given how things have gone.

Altfish

Veteran Member
The EU won't change and that's the reason we're where we are

There won't be one but I'll wager it would be the same,3 years has opened up the EU to scrutiny and exposed the it to a new light.
Have you remembered any advantages of leaving the EU yet.
What benefits can I expect?