• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Sad Day for Canada

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I'm a Canadian, and have been proudly for my entire life.

While I've voted for various political parties over my 70 years (okay, the 49 years I've been legally able to vote) I have been a pretty staunch Liberal, overall.

I have always taken pride in Canada, and how it has tried to present itself to the world, and the fact that we really have always tried to be a nation true to the rule of law.

Until now...

Yesterday, the former Justice Minister and Attorney General of Canada (two different, possibly incompatible roles in one person) Jody Wilson-Raybould testified before the Justice Committee of the Parliament of Canada that for 4 months, the government, including the Prime Minister and those closest to him, made concerted, repeated attempts to try to persuade her, in the role of Attorney General, to interfere in the course of justice, that is the prosecution of a Canadian company (SNC Lavalin) accused of massive, illegal overseas bribes.

To her credit, she refused. She also repeatedly told the Government to "stop," since she had already made the decision not to interfere, the only decision possible for an AG to remain within the rule of law.

To the Prime Minister's discredit, she lost her job. Presumably so that he could replace her with someone more malleable to his will -- even though exercising that will would still be deliberately attempting to obstruct justice.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has lost my confidence, and I believe he has lost the moral authority to lead. I am, for one of the very few times in my life, very embarrassed by the Liberal Party of Canada.

And by the way, for those who like honesty, I believe that PM Justin Trudeau is in fact in way more trouble than President Donald J. Trump.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
And by the way, for those who like honesty, I believe that PM Justin Trudeau is in fact in way more trouble than President Donald J. Trump.

That's really too bad as I've thought of Canada as being in better shape than us. I think you might be right about "in trouble" not for the deed but for how Canada could react to the disclosure.

I hope you don't follow what's going on here with one party engaged in a cover-up at worst or at least ignoring Trump's moral turpitude not only before but now while he's in office. And in a "buck stops here" sense, all the swamp muck those he's appointed have generated..

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
That's really too bad as I've thought of Canada as being in better shape than us. I think you might be right about "in trouble" not for the deed but for how Canada could react to the disclosure.

I hope you don't follow what's going on here with one party engaged in a cover-up at worst or at least ignoring Trump's moral turpitude not only before but now while he's in office. And in a "buck stops here" sense, all the swamp muck those he's appointed have generated..
Oh, believe me, I follow. It is, as I'm sure you'll appreciate, increasingly difficult to be optimistic about humanity. And the more you look, the harder it gets...

Audie

Veteran Member
Oh, believe me, I follow. It is, as I'm sure you'll appreciate, increasingly difficult to be optimistic about humanity. And the more you look, the harder it gets...

Every literate person in the world about has to follow US news.

Go to France or Taiwan, they probably know more than
comparable Americans do.

An odd bit of canuk history- when the then p.m. pushed through
legislation enabling the new Canadian flag, the opposition
leader said "This is a sad day for Canada.".

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I'm a Canadian, and have been proudly for my entire life.

While I've voted for various political parties over my 70 years (okay, the 49 years I've been legally able to vote) I have been a pretty staunch Liberal, overall.

I have always taken pride in Canada, and how it has tried to present itself to the world, and the fact that we really have always tried to be a nation true to the rule of law.

Until now...

Yesterday, the former Justice Minister and Attorney General of Canada (two different, possibly incompatible roles in one person) Jody Wilson-Raybould testified before the Justice Committee of the Parliament of Canada that for 4 months, the government, including the Prime Minister and those closest to him, made concerted, repeated attempts to try to persuade her, in the role of Attorney General, to interfere in the course of justice, that is the prosecution of a Canadian company (SNC Lavalin) accused of massive, illegal overseas bribes.

To her credit, she refused. She also repeatedly told the Government to "stop," since she had already made the decision not to interfere, the only decision possible for an AG to remain within the rule of law.

To the Prime Minister's discredit, she lost her job. Presumably so that he could replace her with someone more malleable to his will -- even though exercising that will would still be deliberately attempting to obstruct justice.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has lost my confidence, and I believe he has lost the moral authority to lead. I am, for one of the very few times in my life, very embarrassed by the Liberal Party of Canada.

Who'd be a better replacement for Trudeau, would it be Bernier or Scheer?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Too bad Canada can't bring back Jean Chrétien back as PM to make the liberals poop-u-ler again.