• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A riddle

Jedster

What's scary to me is not that I knew the answer to the riddle but that I can (30-something years later) still read hex.

Kudos. I Can relate. When I first learnt programming, I had to write in binary/hex before learning assembler.
But that was 45 years ago:eek: , which I can't quite believe.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Kudos. I Can relate. When I first learnt programming, I had to write in binary/hex before learning assembler.
But that was 45 years ago:eek: , which I can't quite believe.
My father speaks about punching holes in cards in college.

rosends

That's what I did when I started programming.
Incidentally that was in Israel circa 1972.
My mom used to do the punch card thing. I'm a touch younger -- but when I was bored, I would peek and poke memory addresses and change the read-out of the games I played by rewriting the hex. In my own defense, it was 1982 and I had no friends. Chicken and egg argument, I know.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
My father speaks about punching holes in cards in college.
I'm that old - I programmed 026 and 029 card punches with fortran column skips. Ah, for the days when a crash meant that a tray full of punch cards was dropped on the floor. And we learned the value of using the end columns for a sequence number.

Jedster

I'm that old - I programmed 026 and 029 card punches with fortran column skips. Ah, for the days when a crash meant that a tray full of punch cards was dropped on the floor. And we learned the value of using the end columns for a sequence number.
LOL @ remembering those dropped boxes of cards. I started off as an operator on the IMB 360 Os and many a box did I drop.