• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A request to solicit participation in a study.

Should we allow this?

• Yes

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Hey guys,

We got a request from a grad student who wants to know if it would be OK to post this in your DIR:

Posted by: JohanneH
Original Content:
Good day,

My name is Johanne Horsfall and I am a Graduate Student at Carleton University in the Department of Sociology and Anthropology. I am currently conducting my Masters through the study of Canadian Muslims and how they perceive dogs, especially in a canine-centric culture like Canada. This project has been given clearance by the Carleton University Research Ethics Board.

While part of my study is based on the text responses people give, another component involves an online survey. However, being a new member, I cannot post links until I make 15 posts. Would it be possible to wave this requirement in such circumstances? Or is it permissible to post the link with extra spaces as indicated below?

This is the link to the survey. Please remove the spaces between ":" and "//"; "." and "com" and "/s/" and "canadian."

http: //fluidsurveys. com/s/ canadian-muslim-view-of-animals/

My desired opening post is listed below. It is going to be posted in the Islam DIR section. As well, this version has the edited URL

Thank you for your time.

Title: Study on Canadian Muslims and Perspectives on Dogs

Hello Religious Forms, my name is Johanne Horsfall, and I am a Graduate Student at Carleton University in the Department of Sociology and Anthropology. For my Masters Thesis, I am studying the different ways in which Canadians perceive dogs. In particular, I am intrigued by the perspectives of Canadian Muslims. The “mainstream” attitude towards dogs in Canada appears to be quite positive, as an estimated 32% own one.

One part of this project consists of an online survey that is targeted toward Canadian Muslims. If some of you could fill out this survey, I would greatly appreciate it.

http: //fluidsurveys. com/s/ canadian-muslim-view-of-animals/

I have been reading this forum for a little while, and I am interested in what people have to say about this issue. What is your personal opinion about dogs and dog ownership? Do those of you living in “dog-centric” countries like Canada feel any “conflict?” Are there any legal issues that you feel need to be addressed (i.e. the presence of police dogs at airports and border crossings etc.)?

For those Muslims who own dogs, I am interested in the ways in which you interact with the dog(s). For instance, is the dog kept outside, or in certain rooms? What practices do you engage in to maintain ritual purity? How do your Muslim friends or family react to this? If possible, if those Canadian Muslim dog owners are willing, I would be interested in engaging in email correspondence about additional questions. Please email me at [email protected] if you wish to participate in a private and confidential “email interview.” However, you are welcome to write about it in this thread too.

I am very interested in hearing people’s opinions about this issue. While this study is focused on Canadian Muslims, those from other parts of the world are more than welcome to participate in this discussion. However, I would ask that only Canadians fill out the survey.

Your responses will be kept in the strictest confidence, and this project has been given clearance by the Carleton University Research Ethics Board. Feel free to contact me at [email protected] or the Carleton University Research Ethics Board at [email protected]

I'll include a poll with this thread so you can vote on whether or not to allow this.

We're leaving it completely up to you, the Islam DIR members.

We'll leave the poll up for a week and let her know what you've decided.

Thanks,
Quagmire on behalf of the staff of RF.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
I don't have a problem with it. Don't have time to reply right now but I will later on in the day hopefully. But I'm not from Canada.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
For those Muslims who own dogs, I am interested in the ways in which you interact with the dog(s). For instance, is the dog kept outside, or in certain rooms? What practices do you engage in to maintain ritual purity? How do your Muslim friends or family react to this? If possible, if those Canadian Muslim dog owners are willing, I would be interested in engaging in email correspondence about additional questions.

However, you are welcome to write about it in this thread too.

I answer here. But i'm not canadian too.

For instance, is the dog kept outside, or in certain rooms?
I don't have dog.

How do your Muslim friends or family react to this?

I have muslim friends who have dogs and they know that they are supposed not having dogs is their house.
Their dogs are in their appartement, and they don't have a garden.

Union

Hi Johanne . It is really great to see you researching in an issue where a lot of Muslims have misconceptions. But ALLAH , the Almighty GOD , regarded dogs as one of the blessed animals from HIS creations .

People of the Cave were one of the wondrous signs of GOD , the Almighty and HE praised them in HIS book :

[018:010] Behold, the youths betook themselves to the Cave: they said, "Our Lord! bestow on us Mercy from Thyself, and dispose of our affair for us in the right way!"

[018:013] We relate to thee their story in truth: they were youths who believed in their Lord, and We advanced them in guidance:

And they have dog as their pet with them :

[018:018] Thou wouldst have deemed them awake, whilst they were asleep, and We turned them on their right and on their left sides: their dog stretching forth his two fore-legs on the threshold: if thou hadst come up on to them, thou wouldst have certainly turned back from them in flight, and wouldst certainly have been filled with terror of them.

[018:022] (Some) say they were three, the dog being the fourth among them; (others) say they were five, the dog being the sixth,- doubtfully guessing at the unknown; (yet others) say they were seven, the dog being the eighth. Say thou: "My Lord knoweth best their number; It is but few that know their (real case)." Enter not, therefore, into controversies concerning them, except on a matter that is clear, nor consult any of them about (the affair of) the Sleepers.

PS : I am not a Canadian :D

JohanneH

Sorry for the delay, I didn't realize this had been posted here :)

Thank you very much for the responses, and thank you to the Religious Forums moderators for posting this.

But yes, even if you are not Canadian, I am interested in hearing your opinions, stories, and interpretations here.

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
Well as an American, I grew up with dogs, and I still go "aww" when I see puppies lol

My brother and grandfather both have dogs, and when I go visit, I do pet them and take them for walks. But in regards to worship, it is hard as I have to wash extra and than change my clothes, and pray where I can get no hair on the rug.

F0uad

I always understood that Dogs are permitted to guard you and your possession but having it as a pet is nothing something advised.

JohanneH

I always understood that Dogs are permitted to guard you and your possession but having it as a pet is nothing something advised.

Yes, this seems to be the consensus among many Muslims, but attitudes towards dogs seem to be very diverse.

Well as an American, I grew up with dogs, and I still go "aww" when I see puppies lol

My brother and grandfather both have dogs, and when I go visit, I do pet them and take them for walks. But in regards to worship, it is hard as I have to wash extra and than change my clothes, and pray where I can get no hair on the rug.

Very interesting, thank you.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
Yes, this seems to be the consensus among many Muslims, but attitudes towards dogs seem to be very diverse.

Sometimes people think that we don't love dogs just because we can't keep them in our house, but this is not true.

Personnaly i don't hate or dislike them, i'm just kind of afraid of some races.

If it was allowed to have dogs, i would be to lazy to have one.
I see people in my building who take them out in winter, when it rain, early in the morning and again in the evening ... too much work for me :)

Last edited: