• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A recent insight on David's mother

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Judaism DIR

In the last couple of weeks I've been thinking a lot about various names both in the Tanach and in the Talmud.

The Talmud mentions the names of a number of background characters in the Tanach that appear nameless (if they appear at all) but there are traditions to their names.

One of the names is that of King David's mother, wife of Yishai: Nitzvat bat Adel (נצבת בת עדאל) (Bava Batra 91a). As Tanachic names go, it's a weird name, to say the least. Even her father's name, Adel, doesn't appear in the Tanach. What we have is a more popular (in today's Orthodox Israeli standards, at least) variant, Adiel. They both mean essentially the same thing: Infinite is God.

Shabbat before last, however, I came across a certain verse mentioned in the 3rd chapter of Avot that may hold some key to the meaning of her name: "Mizmor L'Asaf, Elokim Nitzav B'Adat E-l, B'Kerev Elokim Yishpot." (מזמור לאסף אלוקים נצב בעדת א-ל בקרב אלוקים ישפוט) - "A psalm of Asaph. God stands in the divine assembly; among the divine beings He pronounces judgment." (Psalm 82:1)

As I read this, the wording similarity between Nitzav B'Adat E-l and Nitzvat bat Adel struck me. The average person may say: okay, she's got a weird name and it just happens to be based off a random verse in Psalms. So?

This is where a very interesting (and weird) midrash comes in. Yalkut Hamechiri on Psalm 118:28 essentially says that Yishai separated from his wife for three years. After three years, a certain opportunity came up that allowed his wife to pull a kind of Leah/Rachel/Yaakov or Tamar/Yehudah trick and be with Yishai for one night. Months later, upon seeing that she was pregnant, she was suspected of having extramarital affairs and Yishai's sons demanded she be put to death. Yishai had mercy and didn't report her or the son she had (David) to the Sanhedrin and instead kept David around as a shepherd.

This midrash is very odd for many many reasons, which are worth a thread of their own. The key takeaway from this midrash, with regards to David's mother's name, is that she never sinned: she was only ever with her husband. David wasn't a mamzer. However, he was always suspected of being one. In other places, it is said that Shmuel the prophet wrote the Book of Ruth for David, because it was suspected that as a descendant of a Moabite, he wasn't Jewish. In other words, David's lineage was always questioned; he was always surrounded in controversy.

However, this is where his mother's name comes in, in my understanding: Nitzav B'Adat E-l means that one stands in a Godly congregation or a divine congregation. Our sages were cluing us in that everything David's mother and other ancestors, such as Ruth, did, was for good, pure, holy reasons - and that's where David comes from: a pure, holy, divine place.

It's also interesting to note that Asaf, the Levite who composed this psalm, was a contemporary of Shmuel, David's parents and David. He was one of the prophetic head singers during the time of David, representing the Levites of the family of Gershon. Clearly he knew of certain rumors and may have wanted to clear the name of his king.

Last edited:

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
Judaism DIR

In the last couple of weeks I've been thinking a lot about various names both in the Tanach and in the Talmud.

The Talmud mentions the names of a number of background characters in the Tanach that appear nameless (if they appear at all) but there are traditions to their names.

One of the names is that of King David's mother, wife of Yishai: Nitzvat bat Adel (נצבת בת עדאל) (Bava Batra 91a). As Tanachic names go, it's a weird name, to say the least. Even her father's name, Adel, doesn't appear in the Tanach. What we have is a more popular (in today's Orthodox Israeli standards, at least) variant, Adiel. They both mean essentially the same thing: Infinite is God.

Shabbat before last, however, I came across a certain verse mentioned in the 3rd chapter of Avot that may hold some key to the meaning of her name: "Mizmor L'Asaf, Elokim Nitzav B'Adat E-l, B'Kerev Elokim Yishpot." (מזמור לאסף אלוקים נצב בעדת א-ל בקרב אלוקים ישפוט) - "A psalm of Asaph. God stands in the divine assembly; among the divine beings He pronounces judgment." (Psalm 82:1)

As I read this, the wording similarity between Nitzav B'Adat E-l and Nitzvat bat Adel struck me. The average person may say: okay, she's got a weird name and it just happens to be based off a random verse in Psalms. So?

This is where a very interesting (and weird) midrash comes in. Yalkut Hamechiri on Psalm 118:28 essentially says that Yishai separated from his wife for three years. After three years, a certain opportunity came up that allowed his wife to pull a kind of Leah/Rachel/Yaakov or Tamar/Yehudah trick and be with Yishai for one night. Months later, upon seeing that she was pregnant, she was suspected of having extramarital affairs and Yishai's sons demanded she be put to death. Yishai had mercy and didn't report her or the son she had (David) to the Sanhedrin and instead kept David around as a shepherd.

This midrash is very odd for many many reasons, which are worth a thread of their own. The key takeaway from this midrash, with regards to David's mother's name, is that she never sinned: she was only ever with her husband. David wasn't a mamzer. However, he was always suspected of being one. In other places, it is said that Shmuel the prophet wrote the Book of Ruth for David, because it was suspected that as a descendant of a Moabite, he wasn't Jewish. In other words, David's lineage was always questioned; he was always surrounded in controversy.

However, this is where his mother's name comes in, in my understanding: Nitzav B'Adat E-l means that one stands in a Godly congregation or a divine congregation. Our sages were cluing us in that everything David's mother and other ancestors, such as Ruth, did, was for good, pure, holy reasons - and that's where David comes from: a pure, holy, divine place.

It's also interesting to note that Asaf, the Levite who composed this psalm, was a contemporary of Shmuel, David's parents and David. He was one of the prophetic head singers during the time of David, representing the Levites of the family of Gershon. Clearly he knew of certain rumors and may have wanted to clear the name of his king.
Dovid’s mother was good people (I thinks).

Tumah

Veteran Member

Nice catch. I found both a Charedi and Dati-Leumi Rabbis who mention this.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Really? Do tell!

The first was from קול ברמה. It looks like those pages they put out in Shul on Shabbos. I don't know who the Rabbi is that's talking but it's clearly a Charedi page:
אימו של המחבר ציוותה עליו לא לפרסם את שמה בספר לחבר ספר מוצלח מאוד, הגיע אלינו בשאלה שהיתה כרוכה במצוות כיבוד הורים . אמא שלי, הוא מספר, היתה עבורי דמות חינוכית יוצאת מן הכלל, וממנה למדתי הרבה מידות טובות ונאצלות. כשהיא שמעה שאני מתכונן להוציא לאור את הספר, ציוותה עליי שלא לפרסם בו את שמה. 'אני רוצה להישאר צנועה וחסויה, ואין לי כל ענין ששמי יופיע בספרך', אמרה לבנה. עוד לפני שהספר יצא לאור נפטרה האם לבית עולמה, ועכשיו מצד אחד מעונין עוד יותר הבן-הת"ח להנציח את שם אימו, ומצד שני יש לו צוואה כתובה-וחתומה של האמא, האוסרת עליו לעשות זאת. הוא שאל מה עליו לעשות? בדברי התשובה הבאנו ששמה של אימו של דוד המלך היה 'נצבת בת עדאל', כפי שהגמרא מביאה במסכת בבא בתרא )דף צ"א עמוד א'(. והנה, בספרו, ספר התהלים של עם ישראל, מזכיר דוד המלך את אביו, ישי, ואילו את שם-אימו לא מצאנו בכל הספר. יתירה מזאת; הרי לא היה אדם שסבל יסורים כמו דוד המלך, עד כדי כך שאחיו חשבוהו לממזר כמו שכתוב 'מוזר הייתי לאחי' וכו'. וכשהקב"ה אומר לשמואל שיילך אל ישי ויבחר אחד מבניו למשיח ה', 'כי ראיתי בבניו לי מלך', שמואל מבקש מישי שיביא את כל בניו. והנה, ישי בודאי לא התכוון לפסוח על אחד הבנים, והבין שלא יוכל לקיים את ציוויו של ה', אלא אם יביא את כל בניו. הנביא מספר שיִּשי העביר את שבעת בניו לפני שמואל, 'ויאמר שמואל אל ישי: לא בחר ה' באלה' וכו'. מי היה צריך להיזכר שיש עוד בן לישי, אם לא ישי האב? אפילו הסיח דעתו ממנו קודם, עכשו צריך הוא, או אחד מבניו, להזכר בדוד ולבקש מה'! ועם כל זה 'ויאמר שמואל אל ישי - ה' אמר: ראיתי בבניך לי מלך; וה' אמר: לא בחרתי באלה, והן דברו לא יפול ארצה - התמו הנערים'?! וישי עונה: 'אל יחר אפך בי כי לא הבאתי אחד מהם, ואשלח לקחתו'. את הסוף הכל יודעים, ששמואל הצביע על דוד ואמר שהוא-הוא משיח ה'. עד כדי כך ביזו הכל את דוד המלך! ובזכות מי הצליח להחזיק מעמד? - רק בזכות אימו, נצבת בת עדאל. ולמרות זאת, היא אינה מוזכרת לכאורה בספר התהלים. אבל רק לכאורה. שמעתי בשם אחד המקובלים שאמר שדוד הזכיר את אימו ברמז. היכן? - בפרק פ"ב )השיר של יום שלישי(, שם נאמר 'מזמור לאסף, אלקים נצב בעדת א-ל' וכו'. והנה, המילה 'נצב' כוללת את 3 האותיות של המילה 'נצבת', והמילה בעדת א-ל, משלימה את שם האמא, כי האות תי"ו נמצאת במילה 'בעדת', והמילה 'עדאל', רמוזה במלים 'בעדת א-ל'. 'עד' במילה 'בעדת', וההמשך במילה 'א-ל'. גם אתה, השבנו לת"ח מחבר הספר, יכול להזכיר את שם אימך ברמז, וכך תוכל לקיים את שני החיובים המוטלים עליך. מצד אחד תקיים מצוות כיבוד הורים, כיון שהשם מוזכר ברמז; ומאידך לא תעבור על צוואתה של אימך.

And the other one was from here: ביאור:אמו של דוד - נצבת בת עדאל – ויקיטקסט

ייתכן ששמה של אם דוד דווקא כן נרמז בתהלים, ב (תהלים פב א): "מִזְמוֹר לְאָסָף: אֱלֹהִים נִצָּב בַּעֲדַת אֵל , בְּקֶרֶב אלהים יִשְׁפֹּט": נצב בעדת אל - אותיות נצבת בת עדאל ... (שמעתי מר' יעקב סיביליה, קבר דוד, הר ציון, חג המצות ה'תשע"ה)

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
Judaism DIR

This appears to be some sort of stream of consciousness post, its long and rambling unt a bissel unfocused. Plus, names don’t matter anyways. Having said that, you are a zeis boy Harel, so I like it. The only question in this long treatise is “so” ? Ein Sophf ?