• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A quote mine challenge.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If "there is no God" is the quote, that's too easy because those four words are taken completely out of context as other posters have already said..:)
That is the whole point. Creationists do this constantly to try to "disprove" evolution. Now I am using the same method when it comes to the Bible, but I am of course not being serious.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I noticed recently some creationists using quote mines. What they do not understand is that the person that they are copying was lying to them. A quote mine is when one takes a part of a work out of context and tries to change the meaning of it.to support an argument. Creationist sources love to quote scientists out of context and then try to claim that disproves or is evidence against evolution. It is a form of lying since the creator of the quote mine knew that was not the meaning of the quote.

Part of what makes a quote mine work is that the quote miner never provides a source where we can read the quote in context. So here's the deal. I will make a false statement using a quote mine. To beat the challenge someone must find the verse and provide the context. I would like a neutral volunteer that I can give the verse to ahead of time. Otherwise it might look as if I am merely crossing off different verses until someone hits on the right one.

Are there any volunteers out there to hold the Sacred Knowledge to make sure that I do not cheat? Are there any takers on this challenge?

As I said, I do have a verse chosen. I bookmarked it on my computer so that I can easily recall it. I will gladly proceed once we have a "keeper of the verse" and some challengers.

Is it a Biblical verse?
I was actually thinking the quote itself might have been this;
The Bible itself refutes the existence of God. Quoted from the Bible "there is no God".

Rather than this;
"there is no God".

So just clarifying the intent here. Might be getting too meta and tricking myself...

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Is it a Biblical verse?
I was actually thinking the quote itself might have been this;
The Bible itself refutes the existence of God. Quoted from the Bible "there is no God".

Rather than this;
"there is no God".

So just clarifying the intent here. Might be getting too meta and tricking myself...
It s part of a Bible verse. But like all good creationist quote mines it is taken terribly out of context. In some ways I am reluctant to give it away, but it will in a few hours.

Okay one more clue. In the book of Psalms. In fact the Psalm number is the same as the day of the month of my birthday.

We Never Know

No Slack
I KNEW THIS WOULD BE FIRST.

On the contrary: it says this, "The fool hath said in his heart: There is no God, They are corrupt, and are become abominable in their ways: there is none that doth good, no not one." It attributes this saying to "the fool," but it is not saying that this is true!

This verse is in Psalm 13/52 (Psalm 14/53 in Hebrew numbering), it is the first verse of each.

Says the same in Psalm 14:1.

Psalm 14:1 ESV - The fool says in his heart,… | Biblia

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
It s part of a Bible verse. But like all good creationist quote mines it is taken terribly out of context. In some ways I am reluctant to give it away, but it will in a few hours.

Okay one more clue. In the book of Psalms. In fact the Psalm number is the same as the day of the month of my birthday.
OK, Psalm 18:31, Easy to read version:
31 There is no God except the Lord.
There is no Rock except our God.
Bible Gateway passage: Psalm 18 - Easy-to-Read Version

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That is the verse and close enough. I know of two other Bibles that have the same interpretation. I used a translation that I cannot right here properly since the censorbot thinks that I am trying to pull a fast one. I used the:

Pe****ta Holy Bible Translated

Now who would have ever found that without the clues that I gave? Once again it shows why the original source must be given when someone makes a quote, especially if that quote appears to go against the person or things beliefs.

Congratulations!!

fireworks-congratulations.gif

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
That is the verse and close enough. I know of two other Bibles that have the same interpretation. I used a translation that I cannot right here properly since the censorbot thinks that I am trying to pull a fast one. I used the:

Now who would have ever found that without the clues that I gave? Once again it shows why the original source must be given when someone makes a quote, especially if that quote appears to go against the person or things beliefs.

Congratulations!!

Ahh, the Syriac version! (Whose name the censorbot doesn't like means, simple, clear). I suspect that the Easy-To-Read version might be inspired by it.
Here's a link to it that the censorbot should not censor:
Psalm 18 Pe****ta Holy Bible Translated
I really needed those clues you gave to find it. :oops:

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Ahh, the Syriac version! (Whose name the censorbot doesn't like means, simple, clear. I suspect that the Easy-To-Read version might be inspired by it.
I really needed those clues you gave to find it. :oops:
I stumbled on that version a year or two ago because I like to use this as an argument against quote mining. There was no amazing scholarship on my part. With regular translations there are on the order of 8 different verses. When one adds in the weirder ones the number goes up to at least 12. Even with the original eight that I had it could take people a while to quote the right verse. With this one I doubt if anyone would have found it without the clues.

Dropship

..Creationists do this constantly to try to "disprove" evolution. Now I am using the same method when it comes to the Bible, but I am of course not being serious.

Hardcore creationists might do that "disprove" stuff, but no true christian ever would.
Like I've said before, I fully believe in evolution, but I also believe God tweaked it now and again to keep it on track..:)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Hardcore creationists might do that "disprove" stuff, but no true christian ever would.
Like I've said before, I fully believe in evolution, but I also believe God tweaked it now and again to keep it on track..:)
Please, don't give me that nonsense. By your standards there is no such thing as a True Christian™.

Do you seriously think that you could do better? Do you think that you can honestly debate against evolution?

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns

Congratulations!!

Backing up @Subduction Zone he indeed did not cheat. That is the correct answer