• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A quote mine challenge.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I noticed recently some creationists using quote mines. What they do not understand is that the person that they are copying was lying to them. A quote mine is when one takes a part of a work out of context and tries to change the meaning of it.to support an argument. Creationist sources love to quote scientists out of context and then try to claim that disproves or is evidence against evolution. It is a form of lying since the creator of the quote mine knew that was not the meaning of the quote.

Part of what makes a quote mine work is that the quote miner never provides a source where we can read the quote in context. So here's the deal. I will make a false statement using a quote mine. To beat the challenge someone must find the verse and provide the context. I would like a neutral volunteer that I can give the verse to ahead of time. Otherwise it might look as if I am merely crossing off different verses until someone hits on the right one.

Are there any volunteers out there to hold the Sacred Knowledge to make sure that I do not cheat? Are there any takers on this challenge?

As I said, I do have a verse chosen. I bookmarked it on my computer so that I can easily recall it. I will gladly proceed once we have a "keeper of the verse" and some challengers.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Sure I'll be willing to volunteer to hold the verses. Im a pagan I don't have stake in creation arguments. I could care less if it was created or the big band or evolution or whatever. We here now.

Lain

I noticed recently some creationists using quote mines. What they do not understand is that the person that they are copying was lying to them. A quote mine is when one takes a part of a work out of context and tries to change the meaning of it.to support an argument. Creationist sources love to quote scientists out of context and then try to claim that disproves or is evidence against evolution. It is a form of lying since the creator of the quote mine knew that was not the meaning of the quote.

Part of what makes a quote mine work is that the quote miner never provides a source where we can read the quote in context. So here's the deal. I will make a false statement using a quote mine. To beat the challenge someone must find the verse and provide the context. I would like a neutral volunteer that I can give the verse to ahead of time. Otherwise it might look as if I am merely crossing off different verses until someone hits on the right one.

Are there any volunteers out there to hold the Sacred Knowledge to make sure that I do not cheat? Are there any takers on this challenge?

As I said, I do have a verse chosen. I bookmarked it on my computer so that I can easily recall it. I will gladly proceed once we have a "keeper of the verse" and some challengers.

I'd like to challenge and try to find the context.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Sure I'll be willing to volunteer. Im a pagan I don't have stake in creation arguments. I could care less if it was created or the big band or evolution or whatever. We here now.
Okay. I am waiting for a few challengers. But I trust you. Will they trust you? The keeper has to be agreed to by everyone.

Oh, and the challenge is open to more than just Christians. The only person that will not be able to compete will be the person holding the quote.

VoidCat

Okay. I am waiting for a few challengers. But I trust you. Will they trust you? The keeper has to be agreed to by everyone.

Oh, and the challenge is open to more than just Christians. The only person that will not be able to compete will be the person holding the quote.
Hopefully they would.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Okay. I sent the verse in a PM. Please note that the following is just an example of mine. I do not believe the quote mine I am about to use:

"The Bible itself refutes the existence of God. Quoted from the Bible "there is no God"."

Okay, please note, I did no editing. I did not change punctuation or capitalization, or edit out any of the words within the quote.

If you post a verse that is not the one that I quoted my response will just be "I did not quote that verse".

Go!!!

Lain

Okay. I sent the verse in a PM. Please note that the following is just an example of mine. I do not believe the quote mine I am about to use:

"The Bible itself refutes the existence of God. Quoted from the Bible "there is no God"."

Okay, please note, I did no editing. I did not change punctuation or capitalization, or edit out any of the words within the quote.

If you post a verse that is not the one that I quoted my response will just be "I did not quote that verse".

Go!!!

I KNEW THIS WOULD BE FIRST.

On the contrary: it says this, "The fool hath said in his heart: There is no God, They are corrupt, and are become abominable in their ways: there is none that doth good, no not one." It attributes this saying to "the fool," but it is not saying that this is true!

This verse is in Psalm 13/52 (Psalm 14/53 in Hebrew numbering), it is the first verse of each.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

On the contrary: it says this, "The fool hath said in his heart: There is no God, They are corrupt, and are become abominable in their ways: there is none that doth good, no not one." It attributes this saying to "the fool," but it is not saying that this is true!

This verse is in Psalm 13/52 (Psalm 14/53 in Hebrew numbering), it is the first verse of each.
And of course:

I did not quote that verse.

EDIT: Or in this case, "those verses'.

VoidCat

And of course:

Nope. He did not quite those verses indeed

Lain

And of course:

I should've known that was too easy. Isaiah 44:6?

Thus says Yahweh, the king of Israel,
and its redeemer, Yahweh of hosts:
"I am the first, and I am the last,
and there is no god besides me."

The context being that He is saying there are none like Him, not that there is no God as in no divine being (and even in the verse it says "besides me"), for it goes on in verse 7 and verse 8:

"And who is like me? Let him proclaim it!
And let him declare it and set it in order for me
since I established an eternal people and things that are to come,
and let them tell them the things that are coming.
You must not tremble,
and you must not be paralyzed with fear.
Have I not made you hear from of old
and declared it, and you are my witnesses?
Is there a god besides me?
And there is no rock! I know none!"

I doubt it is this one also (but worth a shot) and so will think far longer for my next context search. Extremely good thread.