• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Question Regarding Military Service

Boethiah

Penguin
Hello!

I have been thinking a lot about the subject of military service and the Baha'i Faith. This is really for my own knowledge rather than for a practical use, for I do not see myself joining the military in the future. I would just like to have a few concepts cleared up.

The Baha'i Faith supports the spread of peace and unity through non-violent measures, and morally all Baha'is should avoid military combat if necessary. Non combatant roles are preferred, and combatant roles should only be used if 100% unavoidable. I generally agree with this, especially in this day and age.

The area in which I am unclear is the circumstances of the war. For example, the war in Afghanistan and on global terrorism being waged by the United States right now is a very different war than those of the 20th century. It isn't "us" and "them" anymore. The U.S doesn't have a clear enemy, a clear HQ, etc. The biggest war with this scenario that first comes to my mind is World War Two. There was a clear line of "us" and "them". The enemy was clear, and the reasons we were fighting were clear: to liberate Europe/Asia from the clutches of the Axis powers.

We haven't had a war like that in several years (unless if one counts the gulf war/Iraq war).

If a war like this were to arise (a war with clear sides of right/wrong, or even a defined enemy who was endangering lives), would it be permissible to volunteer for a combatant role?

Volunteering is of course a personal matter, but would it be in line with Baha'i teachings? Just as a police officer would use fatal force to save his or her own life or the life of innocents, would this service in these circumstances be clear?

Of course, even in wars such as this there are still moral problems (like the cost of taking a life), but the "greater good" also comes into play.

Thank you!

arthra

Baha'i
Well my understanding as a Baha'i is that at present we should register when required say for the Selective Service System because it's the law.. but we should attempt to secure a non-combative alternative to actual military service.. If we are drafted into the military we must serve ..but we should still attempt to secure a non-combatant role.. this guidance has been around for awhile since the sixties..

see:

http://bahai-library.com/nsa/military.service.html

It may be in the future this guidance could change but for now my understanding is that we are to follow what has been suggested..

Generally we Baha'is would not become involved in partisanship where it comes to various political issues around a war.. We would refrain from demonstrations or joining a group that has a political partisan agenda of any kind..

We would also though be supportive of non-partisan international forums to end war and reduce armaments.. and encourage say the United Nations to act as a forum to end war and reduce armaments.

A Policeman has a role to keep peace in a community and it is a profession of service to a City and so is most often a non-partisan position just a s a Judge is supposed to be a non-partisan position.. Use of force involved in a Police function would not in my view be considered under the same category as say military service mentioned above.

In the absence of law enforcement or available legal remedy a Baha'i is permitted to defend themselves.. so we are not to be confused say with some Pacifists who would not offer any self defence or defence say of a loved one... See the following:

[SIZE=+1]Guidance on Self-Defense[/SIZE]26 May 1969
The National Spiritual Assembly of the Bahá'ís of Canada
Dear Bahá'í Friends,
We have reviewed your letter of April 11th, asking about the teachings of the Faith on self-defense and any guidance on individual conduct in the face of increasing civil disorder in North American cities.
From the texts you already have available it is clear that Bahá'u'lláh has stated that it is preferable to be killed in the path of God's service than to kill, and that organized religious attack against Bahá'ís should never turn into any kind of warfare, as this is strictly prohibited in our Writings.
A hitherto untranslated Tablet from 'Abdu'l-Bahá, however, points out that in the case of attack by robbers and highwaymen, a Bahá'í should not surrender himself, but should try, as far as circumstances permit, to defend himself, and later on lodge a complaint with the government authorities. In a letter written on behalf of the Guardian, he also indicates that in an emergency when there is no legal force at hand to appeal to, a Bahá'í is justified in defending his life. In another letter the Guardian has further point out that the assault of an irresponsible assailant upon a Bahá'í should be resisted by the Bahá'í, who would be justified, under such circumstances, in protecting his life.
The House of Justice does not wish at the present time to go beyond the guidelines given in the above-mentioned statements. The question is basically a matter of conscience, and in each case the Bahá'í involved must use his judgment in determining when to stop in self-defense lest his action deteriorate into retaliation.
Of course the above principles apply also in cases when a Bahá'í finds himself involved in situations of civil disorder. We have, however, advised the National Spiritual Assembly of the United States that under the present circumstances in that country it is preferable that Bahá'ís do not buy nor own arms for their protection or the protection of their families.
With loving Bahá'í greetings,
THE UNIVERSAL HOUSE OF JUSTICE

Last edited:

BruceDLimber

Greetings!

Art is correct in what he posted, and having noncombatant status myself (and having served as such), I can vouch for this!

Peace (yes, literally!),

Bruce